• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

spore was so lame

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been hypothesizing about the sequel since I first heard about the game years ago. Spore is just the first attempt at creating a "living" computerized world.

I have been hypothesizing about the sequel since I first heard about the game years ago. Spore is just the first attempt at creating a "living" computerized world.

There is always the beginning and there is always the better game developer

Because I heard this game sucked so hard, I wanted to try it before I bought it. My friend let me play it on his computer for a couple of hours. WOW. What a stinky turd of a game. I guess the first stage is pretty cool in a basic/childish way, but it ended in like 10 minutes.

I called it quits during the creature stage. From what I gather, the 'tactics' in this game are so dumbed down that an infant would get bored. You can choose whether to attack a new species or be its friend. If you attack you get like 3-4 actions, like bite, stab, spit.

If you want to become their friend you impress them by hitting 3-4 actions, like dance, sing, pose, or charm. And thats it. You just walk around doing this uber-repetitive non-challenging button smashing. Sure it is cute for maybe 5 minutes, but then you are stuck grinding it out. Each time you meet a new species you are given the same goals "ally with 4 of species x" or "kill 4 of species x." Wow. Exciting. And each of the species has like a little camp site, and they just hang out around it, waiting for you to come dance for them or eat them.

What a failure of a game. I can see why they have such restrictive DRM. They don't want people to see what a turd they are offering before they get your money. That would reduce sales. Well, rentals. You never own this game. You get a very expensive rental.

I know that I will make sure to never buy an EA game without trying it, and especially not until I've confirmed that I will actually own the game. No wonder PC gaming is going down the tubes.

It trips me out that the major pc reviewers have given such high marks. There must be blatant, extensive bribery going on.

Last edited:
You didn't even get to the tribal stage but you're already done with the game. Even in 2006 the space stage was supposed the "actual" game while all of the previous stages were really tutorials. There is so much you can do in the space stage.

Yes, yes I am done with it already. I'm not a masochist.

I forgot to mention the ABSOLUTELY MIND-BOGGLING discontinuity between the creature editor and the game. It really makes no difference. For example, I worked up enough DNA to make my creature have 2 arms and 2 legs. I thought I'd be able to run and strike twice as fast. Nononono, it doesn't work that way. Only 1 pair of legs and 1 pair of arms matter. Everything else just kind of hangs there uselessly. Argh.

So what if two years ago the game was limited to the space stage? I don't care about two years ago, I wasn't one of you guys that got all super hyped about this game. Right now, this game has about as much refinement as a $5 hooker.

If I was going to play more of this game I would need to buy it, but this thing isn't worth installing a root-kit. Even if this game was free I wouldn't play it.

As a side note, even if EA accepts your proof of purchase once you need to reinstall after the third time, eventually they will shut down their activation server. And then what? Right, you no longer have access to your game. That means it isn't your game, it is just an expensive rental.

Justify that, Hardin.

Not even EA would shut down the server they would drop the drm before doing that. Yes EA is evil but they aren't evil enough to do that.

It has happened many times before, with music servers DRM. Even Microsoft dropped support for one of it's DRM activation servers.

And EA is not going to be around forever.

"Justify that, Hardin." I re-read that after I submitted it, and it sounds rude. Sorry.

Back