• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SR-X SR2 boards worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperMiguel

Super User
At the moment i have an iMac i7 cpu, 16gb of ram SSD, blah blah and its becoming a bit to slow for me... I run linux on it and do alot of calculation and simulations so i use alot of CPU/RAM power, and im thinking about selling it.. I can get about $2.3k out of it..

So im thinking to build a new system i want it to be with either the sr-x or the sr-2 have about $4k fo it... Want to water cooled and will use one of the mountain mods cases...

Is there anything better on the market than those 2 boards? or that is as good as it gets??

Also which one should i get if nothing better between those 2??

SR-2 was cool before SandyBridge hit the shelves. A dual Socket 2011 board is going to set you back a pretty penny but Im sure it would be worth it provided your work can use 32 threads.

Well, you can't overclock an SR-X, so that takes it out of contention for a water cooled build IMHO; there'd be no point. The SR2 is now older tech, which takes it out too.

Is a single 3930K not enough for you? They're plenty overclockable and you'd have twelve threads operating at an easy 4.5-4.8 GHz on water. Get a board with the standard eight RAM slots, load it up with 64GB of memory and simulate/calculate to your heart's content.

or you could build a tanker :D 48 core 4p.... though that would set you back a few pretty pennies. lol and calculate like a baws!

Ooo...the P9X79 Deluxe open box for $255 is a smokin' deal. The "Best" X79 board is still the Rampage IV Extreme, but you do NOT need that unless you're going sub-zero, or just want a bunch of extra toys to play with. On a budget, the ASRock Extreme 6 would probably be an ok board, but for only $25 more you can have that open box ASUS.

EDIT - Plus running it like you are all load, all the time, you're probably going to want that extra PWM heatsink to keep it running cool. Make sure you have plenty of airflow. Sidewinder has water blocks for it too.

If you need a lot of brute processing power, have you considered 2P AMD Opteron systems? They are significantly cheaper than Xeon counterparts.

SR-2s are amazing.

Just sayin.

Who cares if its old? It still works, and if it works for you, why not drive around that 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass =P

I would get the SR-2 because you can overclock it and take full use of your watercooling...

Plus, SR-X's Ive heard have bad reviews and aren't of as good quality as the SR-2 and not a worthy successor...

Last edited:
Back