• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Compatibilty - G41 to B75 Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am on a long term work assignment away from home and have spare machine with me using a Samsung 128 GB 830 Series SSD with an older Asus G41 based motherboard. I want to upgrade to a newer motherboard for various reasons and will probably use an Asus B75 based board.

Will my existing SSD be compatible with the new motherboard without having to do a new install? W7 Professional 64 bit is the OS.

I know that a clean install is always better but for many reasons it just is not going to happen now. So, if I cannot just transfer the drive from one board to the other I cannot do this upgrade.

It can work... And it can't. My record is really good on switching chipsets and keeping the same os. It will take a bit to get functionality on the first boot as it installs basic stuff like Usb drivers. But after a couple minutes you should be able to reboot to a functional desktop. At that point, install the proper drivers for the current board.

Of course a clean install is best.

I would recommend removing all drivers and mobo utilities before attempting to move the drive. I have had more issues with asus utilities borking things when upgrading to newer hardware.
But, as Joe said... backup so you can at least move back again if it fails. it can be a nightmare to recover from if it doesnt like the new hardware

the ssd will be compatible yes..

the OS... likely not. g41 to b75 is a BIG jump in chipsets.... you can try it and it might work. but its likely to BSOD on boot. Make sure to change to ATA in the bios vs AHCI or RAID before you boot to the os on the new board.

But really take the 15 minutes and do a fresh install.

IDE you mean? And great point!

Assuming it works, you can then add ahci drivers ( you can Google this, I'm mobile) in windows then switch the mode to ahci to get its benefits.

Back