• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD or Adapter+CF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foolios

CF cards aren't really meant for OS use, they will probably have low I/O since most times, they are used for camera's and really only need to worry about sequential writes, not random small writes. The SLC PATA drive should be much better.

Thanks for the info.

Do you think the cf will be faster than the 4200 hdd? If so, that would be plenty fine by me, any improvement and savings would be awesome.

If this laptop had a 5GB drive, I don't know if it will like bigger drives, unless its a newer laptop, where you replaced the drive with a 5GB =/

Thanks for the heads up and the links guys. I am concerned about the drive size limitation as well. I will have to check the specs on that notebook.

Doesn't look like newegg carries a 7200 version

One more question. I noticed that an MLC SSD is only $73 on newegg. One of the reviewers said that they've been updated this year to fix stuttering. What do you guys think? I'm tempted if it'll work even if I have to configure it.

Last edited:
if a 5gb drive came out of said laptop.... it must be OLD and honestly i dont think its worth more than 10 bucks to replace said drive.

have a look on the classies... theres a guy selling many pata laptop hds.

Whats the model of the Laptop?

+1 to that. I think I have a K6-2 (with 3dNow!!!) laptop kicking around with a 6 gig drive or so. If your machine is that old as well, you are best off just getting a super cheap replacement drive and saving up for a new computer. Wasting cash on an SSD would just be spittin' into the wind really.

Whats the model of the Laptop?

It is a 300mhz Compaq Armada. It ran so well. It has 128mb of ram and winxp pro. I could still browse the web just fine on it. I saw that I can buy a new netbook for around $270 but I figure if I just put in under $100 I can keep going with that puppy.

Ah well, maybe it is time to lay it to rest.

It is a 300mhz Compaq Armada. It ran so well. It has 128mb of ram and winxp pro. I could still browse the web just fine on it. I saw that I can buy a new netbook for around $270 but I figure if I just put in under $100 I can keep going with that puppy.

Ah well, maybe it is time to lay it to rest.

You can snag an EEE 900 with the 4 gig SSD for like $175 or so.

Back