• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD? SAS? : Isn't it mostly about the media with the root partition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuriousGeorge

Here we are on ocforums and it dawned on me: the CPU get's all the glory these days, but like the Windows Experience Index always says, you're only as fast as your slowest component.

I've done a little bit of research and hard drive capacity has increased at a faster rate than cpu frequency and ram capacity / speed, since my first Tandy 1000 TL/2.

It had 640kBytes of onboard ROM which served as a sort of a root partition. Settings were saved on a floppy. Now I have a tByte of disk space. That's an increase of over 1.5 million.

Hard drive speed, however, is comparatively unchanged.

The 1000 had an ST-506 disk interface capable of nearly 1 mByte/s. Those were the days when PCs were still "IBM Compatibles". These days, SATA II has an advertised throughput of 3.0gbit/s or about 375mByte/s. That means in 20 years hard drive speed has increased by a factor of only about 375x.

Compare that to the CPU. The 1000 had an 8mHz 286. I now have a 4 x 3.7 gHz ci7. That makes a total of 14.8gHz which, xompared with a mere .008ghz, represents an increase by a factor of 1850x.

Then there's memory: 128kByte vs 3 gByte = a factor of 24,000,000x.

And don't even get me started on Video. 1920x1200x2^32 vs 640x200x16!?! A factor of about 36,000,000,000x.

Nonetheless, my computer then was as fast getting from Power On to OS, or loading it's most resource intensive app, then as it is today.

Sure, on some levels that's an unfair statement. Look at how much more complex modern computers are. But I'm not blogging here, so let me just make my point.

These days software tends to take advantage of all that memory capacity and speed, and given a modest amount of ram and processor speed, opening menus, inputting text, moving windows and other mundane minute to minute tasks are pretty much instantaneous.

But when you are booting, or opening an MS Office or o_O app, or even just doing a lot of SATA I/O intensive tasks, you computer takes a hit. That's when you have to wait that extra 3 seconds for Firefox to open a new window. That's when you hear the glorified LP that is your SATA II drive, the only moving part in your computer that isn't a fan, struggling to read enough DLLs into memory to boot Windows.

To add insult to injury, IDE and SATA need help from the cpu just to move data around. That's why I've had a man-crush on SCSI and SAS for so long... those RISC processors built into the controllers are to disk I/O what a GPU is to triangle rendering. Without these you get the worst case scenario: Your computer is appreciably slower, and all you're doing is moving a few gB from one partition to the next.

But then here comes SSDs. Sure it doesn't have the throughput of SAS, but no moving parts. No noise. It just feels right.

Finally, in the process of writing this post, I encounter this: http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/hardware.htm#hyperosHDIIproduct .

Now something like that is the future, if you ask me. I'm not referring to this particular product. If the quality of the web site in an indicator, it's probably garbage. However, the concept is solid.

DDR-667 in a 2gB KVR DIMM runs about 20 bucks (US) is some of the cheapest memory that is readily available today. $20 will get you 2 gB. It has a throughput of 5.4 gigaBYTES per second, which comes out to 42 gigabits per second. (Compare that to 375 mb/s SATA II and its over 100 times faster).

The main reason not to endorse this is obvious: This gets you less than .1gB for your dollar, whereas cheap SATA gets you almost 13gB for every $ (a factor of 130 ;) ).

But otherwise, what's the issue here? All you need is an interface on you mb fast enough to handle the rates (PCI-X 3.0?), some DIMMS, and a controller card for it all.

Anyway, to bring it all to a close, I assume you guys are the storage enthusiasts. Have you guys ever thought about that? What are your thoughts on the future of storage media? Do you envision a day when PCs come with two types of ram, one traditional and one for permanent storage?

More importantly, what kind of drives are you guys using, and what kind of performance benefit do you get if you invested in top shelf HDs? I've never actually used SAS or SSD or FiberChannel for myself, so I'm dieing to know.

Ultimately, my post is about this: in terms of performance, where does it make more sense to spend that $700 extra bucks? Getting the C i7 965 over the 920 or in getting a lot of very fast (and possibly very silent) disks?

Last edited:
First of all, I see no where in that product's specs that it has a throughput of 5.4 GB/s. It says 175 MB/s read, 145 MB/s write, and 65,000 IOPS. The fastest drive today AFAIK is Fusion-io ioDrive Duo which has a 1.5 GB/s read, 1.4 GB/s write, and 185,000 IOPS.

Second, what are you even going to use this for? Unless you are running a data warehouse in your basement you don't need these kinds of speeds. Windows 7 loads in less than 15 seconds on my 5400 RPM hard drive in my laptop, and MS Office loads almost instantaneously. For most programs you use you won't see a price-justifiable benefit. SSD and SAS drives are meant for business applications to support many users, not for the average consumer. SSDs are nice in that they are quiet, use less power, and don't need to be defragmented; but until they come at affordable prices I don't care.

First of all, I see no where in that product's specs that it has a throughput of 5.4 GB/s. It says 175 MB/s read, 145 MB/s write, and 65,000 IOPS.

I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about that product in particular, I was talking about the future of computer storage. Remember that I even said PCI-X 3 would be needed to handle the bandwidth theoretically possible throughput of ddr-667. This product uses SDR, I believe.

Second, what are you even going to use this for? Unless you are running a data warehouse in your basement you don't need these kinds of speeds. Windows 7 loads in less than 15 seconds on my 5400 RPM hard drive in my laptop, and MS Office loads almost instantaneously.

I'm just being theoretical. Theoretically I can say "15 seconds? 'almost' instantaneous? sounds too slow for me." How long does it take to load a map on CoD or GTA?

For most programs you use you won't see a price-justifiable benefit.

I understand that. It's much like there is no price-justifiable benefit to a ci7 965 over a 920 for most applications. The only difference is that you can get the fastest CPU you want, and it still wont overcome the fact that the Disk I/O is the most commonly encountered bottleneck in an average computer under average usage.

On the other hand, give one guy a significantly faster hard disk, and we'll see who spawns first in the online FPS: the guy with 965 @ 4.2 ghz and the sata II disks, or the guy with the SAS disk and the ci7 920 at 4.0 ghz. Then we'll see who boots faster, and who opens a 100mB PP Presentation first, who can pull up a browser fist while xferring gigs of data from one partition to the next.

Besides: Isn't this forum all about excess and spending $500 on water cooling to squeeze another 200 mhz out of your CPU? I could use it to store my 3 recipes for Linguine Marinara, and that becomes justifiable.

SSD and SAS drives are meant for business applications to support many users, not for the average consumer.

Shucks. So I'm not allowed to get one. :(

SSDs are nice in that they are quiet, use less power, and don't need to be defragmented; but until they come at affordable prices I don't care.

That does sound nice. Thanks for your input. ;)

Last edited:
SAS and SATA II both operate over the same electrical interface (cable) and both have the same throughput at 3 Gbps. Newer SATA drives also support NCQ (native command queuing) like SAS.

Although SAS drives are usually designed for a higher-end server market, I don't think that SAS necessarily means better throughput than SATA.

SAS and SATA II both operate over the same electrical interface (cable) and both have the same throughput at 3 Gbps. Newer SATA drives also support NCQ (native command queuing) like SAS.

Although SAS drives are usually designed for a higher-end server market, I don't think that SAS necessarily means better throughput than SATA.

Doesn't SAS go up to 6.0 gb/s, making it faster than any SCSI standard?

Doesn't SAS go up to 6.0 gb/s, making it faster than any SCSI standard?

AFAIK SAS is 6 Gbit/s since Feb '09 and SATA will go 6 Gbit/s soonish too.

Here is other differences:

Code:
[edit] SAS vs SATA
Systems identify SATA devices by their port number connected to the host bus adapter, while SAS devices are uniquely identified by their World Wide Name (WWN). 
SAS protocol supports multiple initiators in a SAS domain, while SATA has no analogous provision. 
Most SAS drives provide tagged command queuing, while most newer SATA drives provide native command queuing, each of which has its pros and cons. 
SATA follows the ATA command set and thus only supports hard drives and CD/DVD drives. In theory, SAS also supports numerous other devices including scanners and printers. However, this advantage could also be moot, as most such devices have also found alternative paths via such buses as USB, IEEE 1394 (FireWire), and Ethernet. 
SAS hardware allows multipath I/O to devices while SATA (prior to SATA II) does not. Per specification, SATA II makes use of port multipliers to achieve port expansion. Some port multiplier manufacturers have implemented multipath I/O using port multiplier hardware. 
SATA is marketed as a general-purpose successor to parallel ATA and has become[update] common in the consumer market, whereas the more-expensive SAS targets critical server applications. 
SAS error-recovery and -reporting use SCSI commands which have more functionality than the ATA SMART commands used by SATA drives. 
SAS uses higher signaling voltages (800-1600 mV TX, 275-1600 mV RX) than SATA (400-600 mV TX, 325-600 mV RX). The higher voltage offers (among other features) the ability to use SAS in server backplanes. 
Because of its higher signaling voltages, SAS can use cables up to 8 m (26 ft) long, SATA has a cable-length limit of 1 m (3 ft).

FG.

Yah it is not a widely talked about component but it is really important (hence why so many people chose raid).

You numbers are a bit off though

First of all SATA is a 3 Gb connection which roughly boils down to 300MB not Mb.

Secondly. That is the interface NOT the hard drive speed.

HDDs are running about 70MB/s now on sustained transfers, (some higher some lower but all 7200/10k SATA drives are within 20MB/s up or down, 5400RPM are slower, I know my laptop only put through 30MB/s on a sata interface what a fricking marketting gimmick SATA in a laptop :p)

ATA 100/133 has STILL not been broached by conventional, mechanical hdds. Yes SSDs are getting there and will be amazingly fast (look for the youtube vid of 24 samsungs in raid0 ;)) But SATA is nice for cable management and hotswapping... well it does offer RW benefits too like NCQ

RAM is volatile memory and storage should be static. With hdd failure rates what they are, would you really want to trust your operating system to the life expectancy of a battery? NAND is the way to go for now, they are getting some sick speeds. and things are only going to get faster.

WOW Mad props for the Tandy 1000, not tecnially my first but tecnially theee first LOL
But you are right!!

Cpu's hit 3ghz and insted of getting faster just multiplyed.

Popular Science back in like '97 or somthing said there would be 10ghz machines and AI by now but in reality the CPU learning curve slumped off and all the other previously unthoughtof components are catching up. (and almost surpassing in some cases)

There is still limitations to NAND flash in that it has to erase a whole block of memory if really it just needs to erase a page from that block. It also is limited by the amount of write-erase cycles it can do.

PRAM is supposed to eliminate some of the problems with NAND flash while being 20-30x faster. Samsung is mass producing PRAM starting in June: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/samsungs-pram-chips-go-into-mass-production-in-june/

FG.
Yah it is not a widely talked about component but it is really important (hence why so many people chose raid).

You numbers are a bit off though

First of all SATA is a 3 Gb connection which roughly boils down to 300MB not Mb.

I did say:

These days, SATA II has an advertised throughput of 3.0gbit/s or about 375mByte/s.

... I think I kept my b's and B's straight ...

Secondly. That is the interface NOT the hard drive speed.

HDDs are running about 70MB/s now on sustained transfers, (some higher some lower but all 7200/10k SATA drives are within 20MB/s up or down,

... but you are correct. I get reads of ~80mB my 1TB WDC.

RAM is volatile memory and storage should be static. With hdd failure rates what they are, would you really want to trust your operating system to the life expectancy of a battery?

... maybe two batteries? Yeah, probably a dumb idea. I wonder how much power it would take to keep 64GB of RAM powered on continuously, anyway. Probably a dumb idea on my part.

BUt HDD failures are so common partly due to the nature of the media... a bunch of delicate platters spinning at 15K rpm while multiple heads try to read off of them... it just feels like an antiquated design. Like a turntable on crack and steroids.

NAND is the way to go for now, they are getting some sick speeds. and things are only going to get faster.

I saw an interesting benchmark about just that the other day.

WOW Mad props for the Tandy 1000, not tecnially my first but tecnially theee first LOL
But you are right!!

Lol, thanks. Makes me feel old. Next time I get a little drunk I'll be sure to start a thread about you first computer or first hard drive you bought, or something like that.

The first processor I bought was an "overdrive processor". The motherboard had a 486 SX/33 and actually had a bay for another CPU. The fastest one I could get turned it into a 486 DX/100(as in 100 Mhz). What an improvement! It was still a 486, by it was way faster than my buddy's Pentium 60 (mhz).

The first stick of memory I bought came from Radio Shack. It was 4 mB for $200, so about 50 bucks per mB. That took me from 4 to 8 and I could finally play Doom.

Cpu's hit 3ghz and insted of getting faster just multiplyed.

I heard the problem is powering them and keeping them cool. Also I heard they can't get much smaller. Do you think in 50 years well be using 1024 x 3Ghz processor arrays the size of PSUs?

Popular Science back in like '97 or somthing said there would be 10ghz machines and AI by now

In the 50s Popular Mechanics also said that by the year 2000 computers would only weigh a few tons, and be small enough to fit in a single room.

I don't believe AI will happen with computers as they are today. Binary logic just doesn't lend itself well to AI, or something.

but in reality the CPU learning curve slumped off and all the other previously unthoughtof components are catching up. (and almost surpassing in some cases)

... now that you mention it, I find optical media too slow. There's a reason CDs are so cheap ;)

I got a kick out of that 24 SSD video on UTube watched it a few weeks ago :) can load a program before the software hits the floor dropping it hehe. That thing is pretty wickedly outrageous.

:beer:

Back