• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssjwizards MKV-2-MP4 batch remuxer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
If your like me you have alot of Matroska media, but as you have quickly learned most devices simply do not support this container. If you happen to use a PS3 or a number of Blu-Ray players for media streaming you are all to aware of the issues caused by the Matroska container. To compound this sometimes even when your player happens to support the mkv container you can still run into audio sync errors and a number of other things that make viewing feel like a job rather than recreation.

Now I have a solution for you! As most of the mkv videos out there typically contain an MPEG 2/4 coded video stream it is possible to Re-Multiplex them into an MP4 file container.

What are the advantages of Re-Muxing VS Re-Encoding???

Simple remuxing can be performed at the speed of your hard disk, there is no loss of quality, and it requires little to no CPU usage. As you can see there are many benefits to Re-Muxing VS using a program like handbrake to re-encode.

So whats the down side?

Not all content can be held inside of an MPEG-4 container. Matroska is known for its ability to hold darn near anything, but that is exactly why it has the support issues that it does. The MPEG-4 container has strict limits on what types of content can be within it so supporting it is easy.

Are there other easy to use Re-Multiplexers out there?

Yes but at the time of writing this there are currently NO OTHER options for remuxing in batches. Handbrake can indeed do batch conversion but it is still experimental AND it requires re-encoding of the files.

So whats the catch?

The content in the folder MUST contain exactly the same number and type of streams in the same order. A single file within the batch with a missing audio stream, or with streams in a different order will cause this program to fail. Other than that Im giving this away, please use it to your hearts content!

If there is a feature you would like to see added, or some other format you would like to see supported let me know Ill see what I can do for you!

I know some people may be concerned with downloading a program from a forum from an unknown developer, but I assure you this application does not contain any malicious software, and I will happily provide the source code for this application TO A MODERATOR with the necessary coding skills if requested.

For installation instructions, container limitations, and usage directions see the enclosed readme.

*Note this application currently only runs on windows with Java SE 1.6 or newer.

CURRENT RELEASE, 15-JUNE-2013 0.9.1 BETA

Attachments

• mkv2mp4.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Humm, thought for sure that this would get more hits on a site the size of this one. Well Ill keep checking back on this if you have any questions or feedback Id love to hear it.

I grabbed it a while back but haven't posted in a while. I like progs like this but I also prefer avi's and mkv's over mp4's. Thanks.

why would i rather have an mp4 vs an mkv? im just wondering i dont know the difference is why im asking. 90% of my hd content is encoded in an mkv with h264 and dolby or aac 5.1 would it help me any.

The basic dif is that mkv's can contain dts audio which mp4's can't. Other than that it depends on the device you use to play it with. some like mp4's and some don't like mkv's.

This mostly intended for users who are streaming video to devices. A large number of smart TVs/BluRay players/PS3/ETC do not like the Matroska container. MKV also allows for floating audio synch something that the MP4 container does not do. This is basically a solution for people who need to convert a large number of videos to MP4 for whatever compatibility reason without requiring a Re-Encode / loss of quality.

For example I used this program to convert 2TB of my anime collection from MKV to MP4 and now all the players in my house can stream them without transcoding or any other fuss and has fixed the audio synch errors that I was getting with some of them. This took all of about 2 days with this program whereas if I had used handbrake It would have taken weeks and there would be quality loss + alot of extra electricity wasted. Not to mention all the time it takes to set each episode up in handbrake VS the 30 seconds per season / series that it takes to set this application up.

The basic dif is that mkv's can contain dts audio which mp4's can't. Other than that it depends on the device you use to play it with. some like mp4's and some don't like mkv's.

Actually the MP4 container can support DTS audio if the file is encoded properly. This is the media info from something I just converted using this app.

Code:
General
Complete name                            : slipstream 2007 720P.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom
File size                                : 3.23 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 12mn
Overall bit rate                         : 6 368 Kbps
Writing application                      : Lavf55.7.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 5 001 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate                       : 23.810 fps
Maximum frame rate                       : 24.390 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.309
Stream size                              : 2.46 GiB (76%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 98 r1649 c54c47d
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5001 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A9
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : 83ms
Stream size                              : 783 MiB (24%)
Language                                 : English

It plays perfectly in VLC and Im about to test streaming it to my PS3.

Back