• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stability testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

What are the best methods to test for stability on an overclocked system? Recently I have been gradully overclocking my system more and more. But when I leave it on for the day crunching for SETI, I usually come home and it is hanging and I can't recover without rebooting. So what I need to do is find a way to test for stability and perhaps have an error log for when I recover.

Also, now that I have overclocked some, I notice that when I boot up, I get a rainbow colored band across the screen for a split second. That is the only time I have a visual artifact. But it can't be due to my video card because I don't overclock it. So am I to assume that my CPU is the cause of this? Is it just because I am overclocking too much?

I have an A64 venice core 3000+. The stock is 1.8ghz at 1.4 v and I have it overclocked to 2.565ghz at 1.5v (HTT of 285).

The most common programs would be Prime95 , SuperPi , and Memtest86 .

Use superpi and let it calculate 32M for quick tests, and run prime for as many hours as you feel is good to call it stable. If you run SETI, I suggest ~24 hours. Use memtest when you are oc'ing your ram.

Good call. I usually do SuperPi 32MB (dual in my case) and if good then Prime for 5 to 8 hours. OCCT is also a nice pro but sort of beta as fas as I know.

I like prime95 because it just runs in the background and has very low priority so other programs will run quickly. The best thing for prime is to turn it on and let it run overnight, but the longer the better.

Back