• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Stable Phenom II x6 1045t oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RQFumbles

Registered
Ok so I got my processor yesterday and overclocked it to 3.78Ghz and it seems to be stable.

overclocks.png

overclock2t.png

overclock3.png

Does this look correct?

Last edited:
Found a problem. CoreTemp and HWMonitor wont read my cpus temp. It's been like this since I got it so idk what it could be.

Found a problem. CoreTemp and HWMonitor wont read my cpus temp. It's been like this since I got it so idk what it could be.

Sounds like you have you have CPU unlock / unleashing enabled in your mobo. Since you have no cores to unlock, this setting is completely unnecessary and interferes withyour temp readings.

Edit: For clarity, this is a BIOS setting. Its called "CPU Unlock" "UUC / UCC Core Unlock" "CPU Unleashing" "Core Unlock" or something along those lines in the BIOS. I'm not 100% sure, but enabling individual core control might also interfere with temp readings. With 6 core Thubans, these settings aren't needed

Sounds like you have you have CPU unlock / unleashing enabled in your mobo. Since you have no cores to unlock, this setting is completely unnecessary and interferes withyour temp readings.

Edit: For clarity, this is a BIOS setting. Its called "CPU Unlock" "UUC / UCC Core Unlock" "CPU Unleashing" "Core Unlock" or something along those lines in the BIOS. I'm not 100% sure, but enabling individual core control might also interfere with temp readings. With 6 core Thubans, these settings aren't needed

Thats exactly what it was! Thanks! Its idling at 13 degrees Celsius. But now I'm trying to make sure its a stable overclock. Its been on almost all night and most of today and I've been playing games like BF3 and GW2 and no problems so far.

Thats exactly what it was! Thanks! Its idling at 13 degrees Celsius. But now I'm trying to make sure its a stable overclock. Its been on almost all night and most of today and I've been playing games like BF3 and GW2 and no problems so far.

Have you tried using a Prime95 blend test. At the end of the day if you are happy that you can game on it without crashing that's cool(I'm doing this right now). But that stress test causes my 1045T to heat up another 20 degrees Celsius over the max temp it hits in BF3 and can show you if you're using enough voltage. I'm jealous though, I've got a really bad 1045T I can't play BF3 at that frequency unless I feed it over 1.6 volts. Don't use voltage like that though, just adding this sentence for people who might think 1.6 and above is recommended, it's most certainly not.

Have you tried using a Prime95 blend test. At the end of the day if you are happy that you can game on it without crashing that's cool(I'm doing this right now). But that stress test causes my 1045T to heat up another 20 degrees Celsius over the max temp it hits in BF3 and can show you if you're using enough voltage. I'm jealous though, I've got a really bad 1045T I can't play BF3 at that frequency unless I feed it over 1.6 volts. Don't use voltage like that though, just adding this sentence for people who might think 1.6 and above is recommended, it's most certainly not.

One..point..six.. It's ok boys, I won't let him get you.. -Cradles own 1060Ts-

Haha, everybody on this forum is super bold compared to me :( But aye, a P95 blend test will do wonders for figuring out if the chip is truely stable or not-- Also, finding a problem here will keep a random BSOD from happening down the road

Ok I tried the Prime 95 blend test and my system blue screened within 10 minutes. I've increased the voltage to 1.375v from the original 1.3v. About to try the P95 blend again.

EDIT: Well, that didn't fix it. I got the BSOD as soon as I started the test. Changed the HT frequency down to 1680Mhz and the NB frequency to 1960MHz. Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!

EDIT: I looked around and decided to get a little risky. Set CPU bus speed to 286 and the multi is locked at 13.5 so now I'm overclocked at 3.86 Ghz. Also increased the voltage to 1.45V. Lowered the HT link to 1430 MHz and the NB frequency to 2002 Mhz. All cores except core 2 failed. Don't know what else to do now but it seems stable enough as long as its not being used at max potential.

Last edited:
Please add a pic of the CPU-z "SPD" tab to the two you attached in post #1. The SPD tab displays info from the ram manufacturer concerning correct voltages and timings for your ram at various frequencies. When you compare that to the "Memory" tab then you can see if adjustments need to be made to the ram to eliminate that as a source of instability.

The other possible issue with regard to instability is high temps. You have not told us anything about your CPU cooler or your load temps. All we know about is idle temps which don't help much. Please lower your FSB to a stable frequency and run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Before you start the stress test, have HWMonitor open in the background and when the test is done please attach a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can look at max temps during the stress test.

Please tell us more about your hardware: Motherboard, Ram, cooler, case, PSU (make and wattage) and video card.

There is no need to lower your HT Link and NB frequencies below the stock 2000 mhz.

Are you sure your motherboard can handle a FSB of 286 mhz.

It strikes me that you are going about this overclock process kind of chaotically instead of systematically and incrementally. I think you should start over from baseline and follow a systematic, incremental approach so you can figure out why instability occurs when you encounter it. Right now you are just all over the place. Would you like some guidance?

Last edited:
I've added the pic as you asked. I know I'm going all over the place with this overclocking business. Guidance would be nice to get this processor at least @ 3.6 Ghz. I'm using an ASRock 970 extreme3 mobo and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for heatsink. 8GBs G.skill RAM at 1600 Mhz, thermaltake blackwidow v9 case, Antec 650w EarthWatts PSU, and a XFX HD Radeon 6950 2GB.

EDIT: Just finished the 20 min Prime 95 test at stock speeds. Max temp was 32 degrees celsius.

Last edited:
Finished the Prime95 blend test for 20mins at a 3.6 Ghz overclock. Max temp is 34 degrees celsius. Seems stable to me. I'm going for 3.8 again tomorrow.

You don't say whether the 34c max temp is the core temp or the CPU socket temp. That's why I asked you to attach the HWMonitor interface so we could look at both.

Why do you have your ram frequency clocked so low and your ram timings are much more relaxed than they need to be. The CPU-z memory tab shows that your ram is only running at 1120 mhz and it's rated for 1600 mhz.

Please create a "Sig" so that your system info travels with every post you make. This is a common courtesy on the forum as the info supplied in early posts gets lost and buried as the threads get long. To create a Sig, go to the top of the page and click on Quick Links and then Edit Signature.

Last edited:
You don't say whether the 34c max temp is the core temp or the CPU socket temp. That's why I asked you to attach the HWMonitor interface so we could look at both.

Why do you have your ram frequency clocked so low and your ram timings are much more relaxed than they need to be. The CPU-z memory tab shows that your ram is only running at 1120 mhz and it's rated for 1600 mhz.

Ok I've overclocked it at a stable 3.6Ghz and did the test with the HWMonitor open so we could look at the temps.

overclocka.png

overclock2.png

overclock3.png

hwm.png

I'm pretty sure this is stable.

Both your core temps and your CPU socket temp ("CPUTIN") are in great shape at this point.

Do you still have Cool N Quiet enabled? Look at the CPU-z "CPU" tab core voltage report at 1.168. That's very low. If you haven't done so, disable: Cool n Quiet, Turbo core, and C1E to turn off the green, down-throttling stuff that messes with overclocking.

The Prime95 blend test if passed for 20 minutes only establishes tentative stability. A longer test (at least 2 hr.) would be necessary to confirm stability. But in the initial stages of the overclock I like to use the 20 minute test because it's time efficient and will produce max temps very close to what you will see in a much longer test. Failing Prime95 means either BSOD, lockup, spontaneous restart or one of the Prime95 core workers drops out.

I turned off all the stuff and now my cpu is running at 3.6Ghz all the time. New to this so I'm not sure if its safe for 24/7 use or if I just have to turn off my pc when I get off. I'm not sure where you saw the 1.168 voltage at, it says in the cpu tab that the voltage is at 1.32V.

My mistake. I don't know where I got that 1.168 from but if you look at the CPU vcore line in HWMonitor it shows your min vcore was 1.152. That was probably Cool N Quiet as it lowers CPU speed and voltage at idle. It can also cause instability in the higher overclock ranges so we generally turn it off.

To have your CPU run at 3.6 ghz 24/7 will not hurt anything. Temps are a much more meaningful barometer of strain/wear and tear on a CPU than is voltage, up to a point. Don't worry about vcore being to high until you get up to over 1.55 volts as long as core temps under load are not exceeding about 55c and CPU socket temp is not exceeding about 65c under load.

What you need to work on now is changing your memory frequency in bios. You picked a "divider" (old term) that is too low. Set the memory divider or starting frequency in bios to 1066. Then post back with a new pic of the Memory tab of CUP-z.

Ok so I went into the BIOS again this morning and changed what I think was what you ment. I ran an hour test of Prime95 with it so it seems stable.

ramoc.png

Yeah, that's what I wanted to see. Now your ram is running at 1444 mhz. Keep in mind that CPU-z reports the ram frequency at half of what you would expect since it isn't reporting the DDR3 frequency but the bus speed instead. You are probably getting close to the max overclock for that CPU so you should start running 2 hr. Prime 95 stability tests. You should also consider lowering your multiplier on the CPU so you can push the FSB higher (if the motherboard will allow). This would permit you to get closer to the rated speed of the ram (1600 mhz) without exceeding the frequency stability limit of the CPU should you be at the limit of that component. Your CPU has a locked multiplier but it's only locked in the upward direction. You can lower it if necessary to maintain stability if you want to push the FSB higher.

Eh.. I can't get it to overclock anymore with it being stable. I think I'll leave it at 3.6Ghz for now until march when I get a FX 8350. I ran a 5 hour test with it and only core #2 failed out of all 6. So I guess I'm in good shape!

With that mobo >> ASRock 970 Extreme3 mobo << you are not going to be happy with an FX-8350 in March or any other month. With that mobo the FX-8350 will make it struggle trying to give enough power to push it where you have seen everyone else with a good cpu seem to get up to. An FX-6300 would be a much more reliable choice in all likelihood. Also the CM Hyper 212+ would stand a much better chance of controlling the temps for 6 cores than 8 core processor for sure.

RGone...ster. ___________________:chair:

Back