• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Stable Phenom II x6 1045t oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Eh.. I can't get it to overclock anymore with it being stable. I think I'll leave it at 3.6Ghz for now until march when I get a FX 8350. I ran a 5 hour test with it and only core #2 failed out of all 6. So I guess I'm in good shape!

Having a core drop out usually means you need a tad more CPU vcore. Your vcore is pretty low still and so are your temps, at least as they were in the last pics you attached. Why don't you increase your vcore a tad and see if you can get higher. Don't worry about dangerously high voltages until you get well past 1.5 volts for vcore. Temps are a better barometer of safe voltages until then.

RGone is correct. Your motherboard will not stand up to an 8350, at least not if you will be overclocking it. Probably okay at stock speeds and voltages, though. The "power phase" components just aren't stout enough.

With that mobo >> ASRock 970 Extreme3 mobo << you are not going to be happy with an FX-8350 in March or any other month. With that mobo the FX-8350 will make it struggle trying to give enough power to push it where you have seen everyone else with a good cpu seem to get up to.

Don't worry. I'll be buying a new mobo when it comes time. I may go for a bigger case and get a cooler master V6 GT cooler. I'll just use the pc I'm using now for a server or something.

If you're moving up to an FX 8350 you will also want to move up to water cooling for sure, like the Corsair H100. Air coolers are just not adequate for overclocking those things.

Ok so I went in the BIOS and changed the multiplier and FSB to get it exactly on 3.6Ghz. I also changed the HT Link and NB Frequency closer to 2000Mhz, got the RAM closer to stock speeds of 1600Mhz, and upped the voltage.

oc36.png

mem36.png

I did a prime test and 2 cores failed within 10 mins and then the program stopped working.

EDIT: When Prime testing my vcore gets up to 1.44V

Last edited:
I got BSOD with that setup. I tried again and stopped the test when the cores started failing. I managed to get the temps down though.

oc36.png

temp36.png

Take a look at the voltage and the CPUTIN in the HWMonitor.

Ok so I went in the BIOS and changed the multiplier and FSB to get it exactly on 3.6Ghz. I also changed the HT Link and NB Frequency closer to 2000Mhz, got the RAM closer to stock speeds of 1600Mhz, and upped the voltage.

oc36.png

mem36.png

I did a prime test and 2 cores failed within 10 mins and then the program stopped working.

EDIT: When Prime testing my vcore gets up to 1.44V

Correction: No, your vcore is getting all the way of to 1.536. CPUTIN at 61c should be okay. I would get concerned if it got past 65c.

Try giving your CPUNB voltage a .050 bump. And cores dropping out usually mean a little more vcore is needed.

Try giving your CPUNB voltage a .050 bump. And cores dropping out usually mean a little more vcore is needed.

I'll try the CPUNB voltage bump but more voltage? It's getting a little close to 1.5V and you said that it gets dangerously high at that point.

1.55 under load is about the max vcore I feel comfortable with as long as the board has heatsinks on the VRM area and core and CPU socket temps are under control.

Well, I did the CPUNB voltage bump and increased the CPU voltage more but now its idling at 1.54V. I tried a prime test and it made it through 3 torture tests and BSODed. I'm just going to set it back to the 3604Mhz I had it stable at and get the new parts for the 8350 in march.

Back