• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Star Citizen - Squadron 42

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Played a decent bit with kb\mouse first then dusted off the X52 Pro. Both have positives and negs. Flying is much more enjoyable with the Joystick but I really feel the need for rudder pedals which support for is not in yet and I still have to buy some. Lining up your aim with Joystick takes much longer and wears on your wrist after a while but its easier to keep enemy ships in front of you on screen. Its a solid start and hopefully updates come fast and often.

Can't wait to get some decent use out of my Cyborg that's been collecting dust for a decade.

Finally finished downloading. Got to play it a wee bit. Actually plays better than I would of figured at this point.

As well got to say at 1920x1200 at Ultra High settings my 7950 still works like a charm. Giving me 37-50FPS during the fights. Good trusty card still holds its own, though I think I will be upgrading here in the near future.

Thanks for the run down but not to sound rude, I wasn't looking for the run down on how it works. :p I get the basic idea of drivers with SLI and you would think they added something for this game since they recently came out with certified drivers. I was just saying maybe since the game just got released with the recent certified driver, in most cases they add support. The perks and tweaks of course come over time and fix the glitches. Maybe I am thinking there are issues with SLI than just simple adjustments that are done down the road. Nonetheless thanks for the info though. Always good to hear ones perspective.

I answered it why they don't put support in it, the game is in a too early state for nvidia to even try to get support for it.

There is a profile in the drivers, and they are broken with the new release, but they used to work ok for the hangar module.

If they add support, it is just to make it work without crashing as they would have to work on it all over again the moment CIG comes up with a patch (in this early stage where they change also the engine)

I'm lol'ing at all the rage on the CIG forums regarding mouse+kb vs. joystick. I'm not sure the benefits of crowd-funding outweigh the entitlement...

Took a while but I got a handle on the KB/Mouse. Its about understanding the movements.

Obviously its not like other space games, I know they took into account trying to do real physics associated with the ships. Other games are loosely based phyiscs

I haven't played it yet. I was just reading through the revolving door of complaint threads at RSI and the majority of them contained something to the extent of "I spent $xxxxxxxx on ships and computer peripherals for a game I expected to be exactly this way! It's not! Ahhh!"

I've always been far more interested in this game for the role-playing elements, so I'll be able to deal with whatever system they implement for ship control.

I tried the joystick, it is soooo much better than mouse keyboard.

although it is too sensitive, I will reduce sensitivity from the logitech program and try it again.

One thing i really don't get
When i go in decoupled mode, the yaw axis becomes the roll axis, and roll axis becomes strafe (i don't remember now correctly how it changes but it does).
it doesn't feel right, and basically i can't go into decoupled and adapt to the change.

And the game breaks badly when i alt-tab out of it.
Sometimes gun sounds bugs, and i had an issue where my ship's geometry would act really weird. haven't figured out what triggers it yet.

+ i really need to get sli working, the framerate is killing me =(

edit: it is much easier to fly around and follow enemies, but to aim sucks pretty much, i put sensitivity to from 50% to 10% in the logitech program but it didn't affect AC in any way.
I am overcompensating way too much, i think it needs some nonlinearity settings for the joystick, till then i will refine my skills with the mouse =)
i pulled off some pretty stunts though, and there is some kind of statisfaction in getting your enemy right on the crosshairs and pulling both triggers till it explodes in thousands of pieces, when you get it to work, it is wonderful!

Last edited:
Well finally had a real go at it tonight.
The 300i seems to fly a lot nicer than the hornet at least starting off (getting use too). Got to wave 9 before totally dieing off first try. Though got to say all my deaths where due to running into those punks :)

Love the combat ingame so far, been a long time since I've played a space game and they actually fight, run around, move between asteroids! So its not just watching out for gun fire its making sure not to run into something solid hehe. Looking forward to further updates and of course doing more damage. Wish I could use my 350r... think that would be sweet. Onto the Hornet next to get a good feel on the controls.

BTW just using mouse + kb right now. Lots mentioned the Xbox controller works well, might hook my XBONE controller up and see how that plays later.

Oh side note, I'm running at 1920x1200, the ultra settings ingame and get a nice 37-50 some FPS. Not bad for a 7950 card with a mild OC on it. Looking forward to a more powerful card and really eyeing one of those rift setups. Just seeing how some of the videos come along, I think it will be sweet with this game and head tracking. Waiting to see how the DK2 setups come along before thinking about it. Few months away.

tomorrow i have to try joystick, because mouse aim is TERRIBLE!
you will find yourself overcorrecting 90% of the time, and after a while you'll feel dizzy by all the movement.

I also crashed into objects because i saw them too late.
in deep space, where everything is black, you need to have some sort of radar to show you approximately that you are flying into a huge structure.

this happened to me like 3 times, going towards an enemy, but there is a platform that is so dark you just can't see it until it is too late.

Heh, my experience was the opposite. Tried mouse/Kb, my X-52, and Xbox 360 controller. The mouse/KB was by far superior of the 3 controls as far as accuracy goes.

Now I just need anti-aliasing and TrackIR.

Heh, my experience was the opposite. Tried mouse/Kb, my X-52, and Xbox 360 controller. The mouse/KB was by far superior of the 3 controls as far as accuracy goes.

Now I just need anti-aliasing and TrackIR.

accuracy yes, although not always in the current state (you have to be really careful not to overcompensate too much)
it is much more fun flying with a stick, and much easier to correct overcompensation + you feel like a real badass =)

I tried to grab a screeny of the keyboard layout with no luck. So I made my own. Tax, title, and dealer prep included. Keyboards may vary. Do Not consult your Star Citizen for details.

If someone finds a better one, let me know.

Keyboard Star Citizen.jpg

Does F12 not work to take a screenshot in the keyboard layout menu. I think the default file location is in documents\starcitizen\user\screenshots. Not near my computer atm.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. I purchased the Digital Mercenary pack with the basic hangar that comes with the Aurora, but after Arena Commander came out, I now have the big deluxe looking hangar with 2 other ships in it beside the Aurora which are not flyable. Whats the deal with this? Why did my hangar change?

Those are part of the user made space ships so that we could see them. Now mind you that one already one if not mistaken.

They expanded the hanger just to show the additional content for now, they will probably remove it and bring it back to normal in the future.

IIUC, those are the two community finalists for official inclusion in the game. They're basic unfinished models, just enough to put in the hangar for display, and there's something somewhere where you can vote on which one wins. I think. I may be entirely wrong, as I'm really not bothering to keep up with the forum and news posts from RSI.

Back