• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start menu "issue"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Recently on my laptop my start menu has become weird... There are only icons on the left. No text. I need to press the 3 bars that say "expand" to see text and my username. Also my apps are set up in alphabetical which is just annoying. How do i reset this to default? I have no idea what i did.

Example of what i want it to look like
good.PNG

What it looks like on my laptop
WHY.PNG WHY2.PNG

I just press the Win key and type what I want... universal operation from Vista until now on both consumer and server OS versions.

Oh my god... this start menu is cancer. It is just SO ANNOYING. If someone made a custom start menu to make it look how it used to, I would pay...

Im just glad my desktop hasn't switched over yet. Im using Start10 on my laptop now though. Good old Windows 7 start menu did it right!

Be aware that historically, every major update would cause Windows 8.1 to revert back to the Microsoft start menu when Classic Shell was employed. I would have to reinstall Classic Shell every time that happened. Haven't used Classic Shell with Windows 10 and I can't say that will work the same but just watch out for it.

What?
They have better fix response time than almost any program out there, this would be in their community 100% if it's real, do you have a link, this has never happened to me, but if it's real, there would be a (very) active thread on this over there, apologies for not searching but since this affects you, did you come across one and if it's unique to you then I am sure someone over there would have helped.
The author himself addressed every single question I had since the program's inception, but they also have a community.

Classic Shell is as important for Windows 10 as it was for Windows 8.0 Metro.
I couldn't believe how quickly they addressed any issues when Windows 7 came out, let alone now for Windows 10 when the program is mature.
It is a one stop solution to Start Menu and Explorer related User Interface problems.

Under Windows 8.1 it happened to me several times and my customers would bring this issue to me as well on whose Windows 8/8.1 machines I had installed Classic Shell. I think I had it happen also one time with 10 but seems like it was immediately after upgrading to 10. Not sure if that counts. Regardless of whether or not that problem has surfaced in the forums that has been my experience.

Personally, I don't use it anymore because Microsoft restored a lot of the Start button menu capability in response to customer complaints about the loss of Start button functionality in the Windows 8 original metro interface. There are a few more things I wish MS had added back in (like Windows Update and Devices and Printers) but other than that it meets my needs.

Last edited:
Absolutely native Microsoft Start Menu should be enough.
I agree with you absolutely that it is adequate.

The very premise of Classic Shell, however, is if someone would like to customize, have options, such as Printers in your case...
Then Classic Shell becomes indispensable, it allows for total and complete customization of everything, making the question of what should be put in there irrelevant.
You decide what's best for you, so there is no "should be put in there" or "what's better".

In my case in Windows 10, I happen to have placed both Printers and Windows Update in Classic Shell Windows 10 Start Menu... ;)
But that's just what you and I would do...

If only Microsoft let people choose... but in this case I understand why they cannot, native Windows 10 Start Menu is advertising space nowadays...

Back