• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Start Menu Will Replace Start Screen in Threshold / Windows 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
The new Threshold Start menu isn't based on the old Start menu. It is instead a new Start experience based on the Windows 8.x Start screen. It will likely auto-detect your PC type on first launch, and if the system boots to the desktop—as it does on traditional PCs in Windows 8.1 today, it will provide a menu that is roughly analogous, size-wise to the Windows 7 Start menu. But if you are using a tablet or other touch-based system with no keyboard, you will boot to a full-screen Start menu that looks and works a lot like the Start screen does now.

Users will be able to toggle between the two displays, I'm told, and configure it to work as they prefer.

If interested in such things Read more...

I read about this as well. And am a little dissatisfied only because there's so much emphasis placed on the Start Menu and very little else about the guts of the latest OS. It would be a bit helpful to have some insight as to the PnP driver updates, any kernel changes, efficiency mods. Too bad the menu issue is going to dominate the news...:rain:

I read about this as well. And am a little dissatisfied only because there's so much emphasis placed on the Start Menu and very little else about the guts of the latest OS. It would be a bit helpful to have some insight as to the PnP driver updates, any kernel changes, efficiency mods. Too bad the menu issue is going to dominate the news...:rain:

Mainly because that is the main reason of hesitation to not buy/use Windows 8 for a normal user. (Yes I understand classic shell is an option, but the normal user wouldn't think something like that exists). Other than 'My Windows <Version#> is working fine, why buy a new one?'

Thanks for the link 'Cuda340!
Whatever the new Threshold Start menu ends up being, ALL criticism of it would be wiped away instantly if they chose to put in a selection option so users can choose from at least three options:
• Threshold Start Menu
• Windows 7 Start Menu
• Windows XP Start Menu

This is what Classic Shell gives us and when people use Classic Shell, they don't think of criticizing one or the other because really, people are criticizing lack of choice more so than Menu A vs Menu B.

Classic Shell will be with us until Microsoft gives us those options and shuts down all criticism of Windows 8/9 innovations by giving people simple choices.

Back