• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting Advice - Ryzen/GTX1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flyinryzen

Need advice, I would like to run cooler+quite system, overclocking would be a bonus. But can't decide if water cooling is my best choice.
Ryzen 1800X - in SegFault RMA shipping right now to Miami (Wraith Max cooler)
Zotac GTX 1080 GPU
ASRock Killer SLI X370 motherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/476928/Celestrium_GXH7200I_Desktop_Computer (actual system/case)
It looks like case is designed for radiator in top or front of case...

Pros:
Probably quieter
Only option to reduce GPU temps
Fun project
Might allow slight overclock - 1800X as I've read, doesn't really overclock

Cons:
I don't want to spend a lot, so Franken-Cooler would probably end up being the direction
Worried about leaks
Worried about failures when running unattended (Kill CPU?)
Case layout may not accommodate reservoir? (Video card right in the middle of the board/case, bays riveted on)
I read tons of reviews of AIO's failing, so those are probably out 'as-is'.

From what I've read, CM 212 EVO is more than enough for the Ryzen processors
Haven't pushed GPU yet, not sure how loud it gets under load
I've seen recent posts here using an electrical box with fish pump for cheap. Are those reliable, can you run two 'tied' loops with redundant pumps? Unnecessary?
I saw another post quoting $400 for a semi-custom setup with just CPU cooling. I really would like to keep it under $200 for CPU/GPU.
I'd like to keep it internal to the case if possible. Car radiator may be out.

-TIA

WIth Ryzen, you don't need wwatercooling, as they all stop@4GHz.

Watercooling the 1080 might net you an extra 50MHz (which is totally irrelevant, 1fps at best).

Watercooling is not quiter than air cooling, that's a legend!

If you want it to be efficient you need good fans, and good fans are noisy.

^

Water cooling isn't needed for ryzen . But it doesn't hurt but dont expect it to clock much better than it did on air .
Used is always a option if trying to save money.

I found once I water cooled I couldn't go back . Think the last time my main rig was on air was athalon 2400+ days . Re using that gear over and over for 10 years before I needed some new stuff ( didnt really need but wanted =) ) .

This is an option as long as you keep all the parts ALU

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240g

It is a CPU block / Rad / GFX block / rez-pump .
for 240 new .

Lots of reviews om youtube

Newegg is not where you want to look @ reviews
Im not saying its the best but its not horrible

If you do buy a kit that comes with fans I would try them your self before you waste more $ on new fans right out the door . With PWM curves you can get things pretty quiet .

Just remember the more rad surface area the more load it can transfer for slower fans .

Thats why I have a 3x120 and a 2x120 rad .

Actually, it looks like my 1080 card may not be compatible with the few GPU blocks anyway?
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini, ZT-P10800H-10P

I may wait until I get my replacement CPU and check load temps before deciding.

I must admit, this other active post looks tempting for cheaper parts.. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/785056-New-pc-Build-First-water-loop
As a precaution, does anybody wrap their components in anything permanently rather then just during a leak test?

edit: found one.. http://www.aquatuning.us/water-cool...ia-geforce-gtx-1080-m14-mit-backplate-schwarz

Last edited:
Need advice, I would like to run cooler+quite system

Cons:
I don't want to spend a lot, so Franken-Cooler would probably end up being the direction
Worried about leaks
Worried about failures when running unattended (Kill CPU?)
Case layout may not accommodate reservoir? (Video card right in the middle of the board/case, bays riveted on)
I read tons of reviews of AIO's failing, so those are probably out 'as-is'.

I saw another post quoting $400 for a semi-custom setup with just CPU cooling. I really would like to keep it under $200 for CPU/GPU.

No way you can get quality and efficiency for $200 and under. For a CPU + GPU loop, the costs at a minimum will be around the $350 mark and higher. If you don't have funds on the side in case from a rare catastrophic event, I would just venture with AIOs. You could get AIOs for your CPU and GPU and call it a day for around $200-$250 dependent on the size of the rads. You'll still get better temps than air but still shouldn't be as noisy as air. I would look at 240mm AIOs for each component. Just make sure your case is compatible with all of that.

The stories you hear about AIOs, are usually the negative stories but never about the great stories after selling 10s of thousands of them. For example, I've had an old model AIO for over 5+ years in another PC. You shouldn't have to worry and some of these companies have warranties that have you protected but make sure you buy from a reputed company that will take care of you if its a faulty AIO. I would keep an eye on NZXT and Corsair as they are the big guns in the AIO market.

Watercooling is not quiter than air cooling, that's a legend!

If you want it to be efficient you need good fans, and good fans are noisy.

That's incorrect. A quality and efficient running loop should be much more silent with amazing temps versus a air cooled rig, hence the point of custom liquid cooling in the first place.

As for fans, that all depends on your configuration. Nowadays, no one is running 3000 RPM fans on 30FPI rads for the most part like they used to a decade ago.

That kit looks tempting but got bad reviews here...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...SB2259&cm_re=a240g-_-9SIAC8W5SB2259-_-Product
Everything I read says water-cooling is quieter.. although these fans seem to be highly regarded
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16835608026
Perhaps those on a reservoir would be quieter.

Not a fan of aluminum kits but EK just came out with those kits for affordability. If you're willing to go that route, have at it but just make sure, any expansions to the loop needs to be from that aluminum line from EK. Any metal mixing would be catastrophic.

The fans (EK Vardars) that comes with these kits are good enough. No need to spend funds on other rad fans.

And not to forget, make sure you stick with their (EK) premium premixed liquids, whichever route you take from their line. It keeps you from voiding their warranty.

Also, if you haven't, please read our stickies and have a look at this video in case you've missed anything.

So, I don't have my RMA CPU back from AMD yet, but I may have caught the liquid bug. Anyway, as a starter on my box, any thoughts on this kit? Looks like I could add GPU later.
XSPC RayStorm Pro X4 Photon AX240 WaterCooling Kit (AMD AM4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722CS7FJ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2XHL997HYLBNG&colid=EXURQT8O6KPI
Bonus, it looks all copper.

Also, my other box, I7-3770K (3.5Ghz overclocked to 4.2Ghz) hits 79c when running a long handbrake encoding job at 90-95% CPU usage across all cores/threads. Now thinking about adding something on that one too ;)

In case it hasn't already been mentioned :welcome: Flyinryzen!

The key to a silent PC is in the fans. Whether it's air cooled or liquid cooled silent fans are the key. Something you may not have considered is whether you can even fit a radiator in that case. Looking at the Microcenter link it's not mentioned and the pics are unclear. Just something to consider.

Yeah, there appears to be a very large opening in the top of the case, and there is a magnetic mesh that just lifts off to expose mounting holes. I think it's designed for it. Also, I having pulled off the front plate yet of the case (didn't want to break it), but there appears to be a fairly large gap there as well, about the size needed for a radiator. If all else fails, I can mount the radiator on top of the case, the entire top is vented/mesh.

I found a review on this that indicated the pump was a little underpowered. I'm worried I won't be able to add GPU block later. Anybody have thoughts on this kit?

I told ya, stick with a D5 or DDC kit. Those pumps are more powerful and ideal for custom cooling. These lesser pumps are cost effective for said company and are more inline of AIO pumps. They're weak for small simple loops.

I saw you said stay away from the cheap EK kit, but didn't notice any specific model recommendations. I still don't, but that's probably me being too new to all this.

So, looking at those two series, I can find this:

EKWB EK-DBAY D5 PWM MX and EKWB EK-DBAY D5 PWM It says the MX is a 'reduced cost' version.. Do I need to stay with the non-MX?
Or, EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, but I need to get some measurements, it may not fit my current case.

The EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite actually looks like a better pump, and I get can it from newegg for a little less than the two above.

I also see two blocks that should work, EKWB EK-Supremacy MX AMD Water Block or EKWB EK-Supremacy EVO which I can get an AM4 adapter. Sounds like for Ryzen, the MX here would be fine? It's cheaper.

Any thoughts between those two pumps/blocks?

Or, just punt, and grab the kit: EKWB EK-KIT P280 Liquid Cooling Kit - Looks like I still need AM4 adapter, but has the 140 Revo D5 PWM. Currently $337 after gift card at newegg.

TIA!

I believe the differnce between MX and non-MX is Plexi which I would steer away since it can crack. Stick with acetal since its more durable.

Any kit is fine as long as it comes with the better pumps. Just find the right kit for your build as in case fitting and sufficient cooling for said components. 120w per 100w if you want efficient cooling and low audibles (dependent on fans).

Back