• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Stealthing ports 25 and 113. Fedora 14, iptables. Confusion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yensen

So I just ran a port scan at grc.com and received the news that SMTP and IDENT are not stealthed, but merely closed. As they serve me no purpose, I want to stealth them.

After searching for a good hour or two I've come to the brilliant conclusion that I have to ask for help.

I understand that I need to add something along these lines to iptables:
-A INPUT -p all --dport 25 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p all --dport 113 -j DROP

I'm using the Firewall Configuration GUI.
System -> Administration -> Firewall -> Custom Rules -> Add

Now my questions:
  • Do I add a file for both ipv4 and ipv6?
  • Which Table? Mangle, nat or default (filter)?
  • And what exactly should the file that I add contain? I couldn't find any clear information on the "iptables-save format".

:fight:

Can you explain your network setup? Do you have a router between your internal network and the internet? If so, closing ports on your server won't fix the problem of your router forwarding ports.

Thanks for your speedy reply, and sorry for my late one.

It turns out the problem wasn't something I could fix. Had to contact the office that handles the WAN in my student housing complex and get them to stealth the ports for me.

To answer your question anyway, my setup looks like this:
Internet -> WAN -> Rig /w two ethernet adapters acting as firewall -> router -> my network.

Back