• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam Winter Sale: any titles I should be looking out for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Some of the games I had considered were Atomic Heart, Callisto Protocol and the remake of System Shock but I read some negative critiques of Atomic Heart and the Callisto Protocol right here and the System Shock remake seems to have cleaved too close to the original in terms of design.

I picked up HumanitZ so far. Interesting top down play style and very challenging for me so far. Not sure if you like that kind of game but might be worth a look. I'd also like to pick up some of the older COD: Black Ops but at $20 they still aren't worth it.

What about the Cyberpunk 2077 deal, $51 for the base game + expansion. I'm not sure how my 9700k, even at 5.2Ghz., would take running the expansion DLC for Cyberpunk 2077 (Phantom Liberty I believe it's called). I really liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution and even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (although not as much) so if Cyberpunk 2077 is anything like Deus Ex, I'll bite on it.

I'm not sure how my 9700k, even at 5.2Ghz., would take running the expansion DLC for Cyberpunk 2077 (Phantom Liberty I believe it's called).

What about the Cyberpunk 2077 deal, $51 for the base game + expansion. I'm not sure how my 9700k, even at 5.2Ghz., would take running the expansion DLC for Cyberpunk 2077 (Phantom Liberty I believe it's called). I really liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution and even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (although not as much) so if Cyberpunk 2077 is anything like Deus Ex, I'll bite on it.

For a dude that ain't GOT the game (for whatever reason) Earthdog sure has unlimited opinions! :D

To be honest, I worry about the expansion, too. And I only have a 9600kf.

But, as Earthdog and I have been around the bend on this, if you're playing at 4K... then that won't really matter.

And you don't actually NEED extremely high fps for CyberPunk because the game is STILL buggy and glitchy as hell anyway.

It's more of a cinematic experience like Half-Life II.

So I think your 4090 would prevail over whatever your 9700k's shortcomings are.

For a dude that ain't GOT the game (for whatever reason) Earthdog sure has unlimited opinions! :D
Brother, you don't have to own the game to know how it performs. Those numbers from the review linked are all using a 4090. Just dropping facts off for perusal. Opinions need not apply, lol (kidding!)! :p :rofl:

On a serious note, your post is spot on, too! :attn:

Brother, you don't have to own the game to know how it performs. Those numbers from the review linked are all using a 4090. Just dropping facts off for perusal. Opinions need not apply, lol (kidding!)! :p :rofl:

On a serious note, your post is spot on, too! :attn:

WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE THIS GAME?!? You can obviously afford it if you've got a 4090... and it's been on sale numerous times. Are you against the whole "future" thing? Or did you just hate the **** out of Witcher III?

@magellan

Cyberpunk Devs said that the game doesn't really like less than 8 cores (cores, not threads), especially now with the DLC, so get ready for high CPU usage non-stop and possibly high temps depending on cooling. You might leave some performance on the table cause no hyperthreading, ofc, but that said, come on dude, it's a freaking 4090, you will have no shortage of FPS, especially if you use DLSS 😑 My system is always hovering between 110fps-140fps with a mix of high/ultra settings, 1440p DLSS quality, RT off (to be fair it's not really worth it 95% of the time), so I'm sure you'll be just fine 👍🏻

As Kenrou stated the DLC is supposed to be even more CPU intensive than the regular game. It seems like most of the negative reviews are focused on how buggy the game is, but CD Projekt Red seems to be pretty dedicated to ironing bugs out considering all the patches they've had and the size of the patches (I read the latest patch was 60 GB). If the game burns out my 9700k so be it.

Runs smooth as glass my man, and looks great while doing it :cool:

Not once in my many, MANY recent playthroughs did I ever hit "smooth as glass."

That could very well be because my SSD at the time (Samsung QVO) was a piece of crap and was, somehow, making the game lag.

But the problems seemed to be more physics-related than slow hard drive related...

(Things like people disappearing through walls... me falling through the floor repeatedly... etc...)

And I mean... it's been consistent. From when I started the game all the way to the latest patch.

@rainless

I have a samsung 4 TiB QVO and while it's slow, it's not as slow as any of my 2 TiB HDD's were. I did use the same NVME M.2 hynix P31 Gold and primocache to cache the samsung 4 TiB QVO that I was using to cache my 2 TiB Toshiba spinner (RIP) and that seems to help.

@rainless

I have a samsung 4 TiB QVO and while it's slow, it's not as slow as any of my 2 TiB HDD's were. I did use the same NVME M.2 hynix P31 Gold and primocache to cache the samsung 4 TiB QVO that I was using to cache my 2 TiB Toshiba spinner (RIP) and that seems to help.

Now I've moved everything to the 1TB Crucial M.2 drive. I just haven't had a chance to test since then because I've got my mother in town for Christmas. Soon as she goes I'll have a better understanding of where I am in terms of performance. (I even still have that fight saved where I kept falling through the floor and the guy kept lag skipping through the walls.)

Now I've moved everything to the 1TB Crucial M.2 drive. I just haven't had a chance to test since then because I've got my mother in town for Christmas. Soon as she goes I'll have a better understanding of where I am in terms of performance. (I even still have that fight saved where I kept falling through the floor and the guy kept lag skipping through the walls.)
I think it might be time for a platform upgrade sonny :)

I think it might be time for a platform upgrade sonny :)

We'll see if the hard drive makes a difference. I was planning on upgrading everything in 2024 anyway because I also plan to be insanely rich next year. (Though I still loathe the idea of changing the motherboard and CPU and having to re-authenticate windows or buy a whole new license... again.)

You should be ok for windows. I have been using the same key since 7 on 8 or 9 different boards :D

Actually, my 7 key was updated to a 10 digital key way back in the day.

I went w/the steam deal on CP2077+Phantom Liberty. It's interesting to note that Steam's price was only a little cheaper than the ongoing deal for both titles (on sale) at Gogamer (gog). Now I only have to wait a week for it to download over my slow-as-molasses hamstrung ISP (that's you ATT).

Back