• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steve Jobs posts "Thoughts on Flash" to apple's website - ripping hard on Adobe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This whole apple and adobe thing is dumb as hell imo...

Both have valid points.... but apple is just outrageous in its tactics.

We all know that flashed bassed stuff will bring a slow computer to its knees.... but any modern day computer plays flash just fine. Flash (adobe) is trying to make things better by looking at hardware gpu acceleration for not just cuda based gpus which is nice to hear. As well as adobe air.

Apple on the other hand is looking like a 2 year old child not getting its way in this whole thing... sittin there pouting pounding its hands on the floor screaming... ADOBE SUCKS I WANT HTML5!

Here is an article that you should read if you are interested in this subject:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...as_Jobs_Says_?source=CTWNLE_nlt_pm_2010-05-07

If you don't have the time, here is the quote of truth:

"When you resort to licensing language, it's clear that it has nothing to do with technology."

If Jobs is correct in his assertions, why not let customers find out for themselves? The answer is that Apple fears competition. They--rightly so--don't want their sheep customers finding out that there are better apps available that are better than Apple apps.

There is a larger issue that encompasses this one. Cloud computing is going to overtake PC computing in time, and Apple is not prepared.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16066/apple_cloud?source=CTWNLE_nlt_pm_2010-05-07

Computers are becoming commodity devices. Heck, you can get a netbook cheaper than some calculators these days. The only way for Apple to continue to fleece their sheep maintain their high profit margins is to somehow convince them that their way is the only way because if their users find out otherwise--game over.

Ultimately, Apple's (and Microsoft's) attacks on Flash have much less to do with technology and everything to do with their own self-interest, and perhaps their own self-preservation.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/rich-int...lopment-tools/stop-bashing-flash-496?page=0,0

I disagree with the implication that Flash is the "future of cloud computing". A decent Javascript programmer can write a "cloud" application that is a million times better than anything in Flash. Just look at Etherpad. Now, with Node.js available for server-side Javascript... Adobe is to nVidia as a failing application framework is to a dying chipset business. Adobe is just unwilling to accept the fact that they're dead. Reminds me of Monty Python...

That is what I'm talking about. Do you have anything to quantify this feeling? Who cares how Jobs wrote that, he's right.

Right? No way. They just want to keep as much control over apps as they can. Why would someone buy something from their store when a flash hacker made a free version that's just as good?

my powerbook started struggling too at the end of its life, but it played things like hulu daily (couldn't view hi-res content, with that or youtube), but i'd like to see a ~1-1.5ghz amd/intel chip gobble down flash content like a fat kid and cake too. I use flashblock in firefox which is basically the same as your click to flash. I just got it because it works better than any ad block program i've ever installed haha.

Heh, I had never realized how many ads are done in flash until I started using the flash blockers.

Back