• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still got anyone that missed OC'ing real old school Athlons? (Including T-Bird!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

First Athlon to overclock:

Back in 2002, I seemed to have the same kind of thing going on with my 2001 T-Bird 900 as this post:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10748

But, mine was worse, it was only light load stable at 1050. :(

This one was notorious for the "STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD. Wouldn't stand a chance in Prime95 at 1050. But, I didn't even know Prime95 existed as a processor stability tester.
So I just ran Need For Speed III and even with a late 1990s (1998) game was a guaranteed Windows XP crash!
It didn't help that I was stuck with a Deer 250W PSU, LOL.

I did better with my 2002-made T'bred 2000+ AIUCB, at least I got it to the 2.0 back in June and July, 2004.

Not me. It was fun back then, but I'd just as soon not have to hardware mod equipment to O/C. Much better to do it on the fly through BIOS or software. Now moding cooling to compensate for an O/C is still something you can put your hands on for a good DIY experience.

My first Athlon board OC'ed with switches that are easy to set for the multi.

No board mods needed. And the pencil mod was only required for the T-Bird.

I don't miss anything. But, I still have a Soyo kt400 dragon ultra with a Barton 2500+@3200+ (2.2 ghz), 1.5GB ddr 400 and a Radeon 9800Pro.

A few months ago, one of my grand-kids wanted to see if that computer was still working. I powered-it on and it still works great, and it's still good enough to play old games such as ut2003, quake 3 and so on.

Good to hear it's still kicking - I too have an old Soyo board, namely a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus! board that I've had since it was new. Still works great inspite of having a cap or two beginning to swell up so I would need to replace them before too long.
Have other "A" stuff as well and I do set one of them up every now and then for kicks and just to let it run.

I've still got an A7N8X kicking, along with a K7D dually, both overclocked and run well. I miss the fun but not the noise or heat.

I also have an Abit nf7-s, an msi kt3 ultra and an amd 1700+ tbred B. All of this back in their boxes. The kt3 ultra was a piece of Junk.

Back