• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon processors with sucky OCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Please post the Athlon processor you have that has sucky OCs:

My first one is a T-bird 900 mhz with stepping code AGFA:

In fact, this one seemed to be strange, at least a while back:

I wanted to OC to 1050 mhz, but it turned out to always be unstable and at the time I was OC'ing that boy, I wasn't familiar with Prime95, thus I used other ways to find out that it was unstable:

When at the highest Vcore I was able to enter Windows with:

I was able to game without crashes under Windows 98 SE and here's the strange one:

Windows XP didn't like my processor OC!!! It ALWAYS gave me a BSOD when gaming at 1050 mhz!!! Usually, STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Windows XP wasn't giving me BSODs when lowered to 1000 mhz. :eh?: :bang head

But, I could still game without crashes at 1050 mhz under Windows 98 SE!

If I had Prime95 back then, then I could have done a once for all processor stability check!

I was such a n00b back in 2001 and 2002 that I ended up thinking that if I ran a Sega Genesis game with Gens in a loop without crashing that my PC was stable! LOL!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My next Athlon processor OC:

An Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ with stepping code AIUCB 02xxx?

Back in June, 2004, I wanted to get at least 2.1 ghz for a stable OC.

Impossible!!! I was lucky to even be able to reach the Windows desktop once!!! One morning, for an OC test, because the multiplier is unlocked on that processor, I decided to check for processor stability by using 100x21!
I reached the Windows desktop, but shortly after navigating, the error message, "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..." popped up and then shortly after, Windows XP rebooted on me. Then I was NEVER able to reach the Windows desktop again!!! Windows XP would repeatedly reboot on me before Windows XP can complete the boot process!!!

Thus, I decided I would be happy with 2060 mhz, (103x20) at 1.82V but when playing Goldeneye 007 with the Nintendo 64 emulator 1964, Windows XP suddenly rebooted on me!!! I was getting random reboots. :bang head

Thus, I decided to be happy with 2055 mhz at 1.82V.(with the FSB back to normal) (137x15.0) (I had PC2100 DDR SDRAM at the time)

But wait! Looks like I'm still getting random Windows crashes, because Windows XP appeared to have rebooted on me again when playing Goldeneye 007. :bang head

Thus, I decided to download Prime95 and after running it, it failed within 1 minute with 100 illegal sumout errors and then after I decided to rerun the Prime95 torture test, it then failed with the usual rounding error within 1 minute. :bang head

That means I'm only was able to get 2048 mhz max for a stable processor OC!!! (128x16.0)

Thus, I decided to run Prime95 again at 2048 mhz (128x16.0) and it had already been running for 2 hours when I stopped it (impatient), because it didn't fail this time. And the random reboots appeared to stop too, thus I was happy at that time! Even as recent as June, 2004, I was n00bish, because I didn't get Prime95 until almost the last minute! LOL!
--------------------------------------------------

My 2100+ Palomino was worthless for o/cing. (As are most Palomino's from what I've heard) Couldn't move FSB because I lacked an AGP/PCI lock. Couldn't move multiplier because the chip was locked and didn't want to do the bridge mod.

And to top it all off it ran really hot. It was at 50C load, stock. That's the same as my XP-M at ~2.35ghz!

Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ with stepping code AIUCB 02xxx

This is a Thoroughbred B which means more likely than not, that other parts of your system were to blame for it not doing over 2 GHz stable.

Power supply brand and cooling if not motherboard (voltage) etc.

Most of the time it is not even the cpu that is limiting it. My current athlon xp 2500+ had alot more potential that i could not unlock. I switched ram with my buddys new ocz sticks that i was able to push it to about 2.5 air.

And you may just have gotten very unluckly and got a horrid chip. But i have had great experiences with all of my athlon chips. Soon enough all of my 3 computers will be athlons, the pentiums are going to phased out.

c627627 said:

This is a Thoroughbred B which means more likely than not, that other parts of your system were to blame for it not doing over 2 GHz stable.

Let's put it this way...CB's are not HB's...I had a 1700+ JIUCB which could barely cross 2 GHz. These were the earliest T-Bred's, nothing like the newer ones.

#1: Athlon XP 1600+, 1600mhz was about all I got.

#2: Athlon64 2800+, clawhammer core with half the cache disabled. Stock: 1.8ghz. Max overclock was somewhere in the area of 2000mhz, but I never really bothered to find it because it was so small.

my 2200+ sucks. The max reached with it was 2158MHz, but wasnt strable. The max stable overclock I reached with it was 2080MHz ~2100MHz in winter time with 1,85Vcore. At the moment it runs @ 2000MHz with 1,8Vcore.
Tbred A´s suck.

I want a Tbred B or Barton.

My old Duron700 ( spitfire ) - kt133 junk didnt like higher FSB at all, so no overclocking.
Few years later I put that CPU into Epox 8rd3i mobo just to see how it would OC, slapped DDR400 in it, so there were no other bottlenecks besides the CPU and it only wanted to go to 805 Mhz with 1.85V. :D Really crap OCer.

c627627 said:

Nope, because I could OC more after dropping in an Athlon XP T-bred 2400+ with stepping KIXJB 04xxx?!

With the T-bred 2000+ AIUCB, I think it was the usual, because it's designed to be in the lower range, AMD speed binned it.

Also, I recently noticed in an OC database (I don't remember which one)that all of the AIUCBs had sucky OCs!!! :argue: :bang head

You guys are right. AIUCBs were not like other Thoroughbreds. I forgot.

Well the only bad overclocker was 1800+ palomino which didn't even overclock 100+ higher, after that I bought a 2200+ T-bred A, not bad considering it was a t-bred A, did 2.1ghz at 1.85v. But there was one which I made a bad ocer, it was my first mobile which was able to run at 2.5ghz at only 1.65v but then I wanted more and tried to reach 2.8ghz at 1.9v it didn't boot and now will be completely unstable when voltage is raised higher then 1.6v.

Avg said:
Well the only bad overclocker was 1800+ palomino which didn't even overclock 100+ higher

yeah, Palomino are the pits in terms of overclocking. My old man has 2 systems, one at work and one at home. I went down to visit him, told him how there is a thing called 'overclocking' that works great, since my Athlon64 3000+ runs faster than a 3800+. So I asked if I can try to overclock his systems.

at work, it was a T-bred B. amazing overclock, went up to limit of the DDR400 i threw in.

at home, Palomino core. I heard horror stories, but i tried anyways. even 100mhz overclock was too much! i ended up just giving him 50mhz overclock, and he called me a few weeks later complaining about all the BSOD he's getting. so i showed him how to clock it back to stock. so not even a 50mhz overclock. its like AMD took Palominos, overclocked them to the max, and sold them at absolute highest speed achieved. that explains why they run so hot at stock. :p

Tiesto said:
yeah, Palomino are the pits in terms of overclocking. My old man has 2 systems, one at work and one at home. I went down to visit him, told him how there is a thing called 'overclocking' that works great, since my Athlon64 3000+ runs faster than a 3800+. So I asked if I can try to overclock his systems.

at work, it was a T-bred B. amazing overclock, went up to limit of the DDR400 i threw in.

at home, Palomino core. I heard horror stories, but i tried anyways. even 100mhz overclock was too much! i ended up just giving him 50mhz overclock, and he called me a few weeks later complaining about all the BSOD he's getting. so i showed him how to clock it back to stock. so not even a 50mhz overclock. its like AMD took Palominos, overclocked them to the max, and sold them at absolute highest speed achieved. that explains why they run so hot at stock. :p

Yeah, Its like AMD overclocked all their fu**ing Tbred A´s and Palominos

Avg said:
Well the only bad overclocker was 1800+ palomino which didn't even overclock 100+ higher, after that I bought a 2200+ T-bred A, not bad considering it was a t-bred A, did 2.1ghz at 1.85v.

Even when the Athlon XP 2000+ processor I had was a T-bred B, it didn't even OC as good as your T-bred A.

Even you T-bred A OC'ed better than the Athlon XP T-bred B 2000+ processor I had. :(

The only advantage was that the multiplier wasn't locked.

My first AthlonXP processor was a Palomino 1700+ that would not clear 1700 MHz with any sort of stability, regardless of voltage. Those Palominos were so bad... :)

That, and one of my Mobile Bartons that peaked at 2500 MHz with stability under high-end water (really bad for a Mobile) are pretty much the only bunk chips I've had the misfortune of owning.

Things seem a lot more consistant these days - although it might have something to do with buying higher-grade chips.

Avg said:
Well the only bad overclocker was 1800+ palomino which didn't even overclock 100+ higher

Yikes!!! That actually sounds just like the K6-2 450 mhz processor I had before getting my first Athlon processor. Remember those?

I couldn't even get a +50 mhz OC stably!!! It would lock up when I was gaming!!! Even when it probably was the processor, it could have been the heatsink I had on it.

Back