• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock 6700k hitting 94 Degrees on Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, well I guess I was wrong then. I could see the difference in the reflection on the pin from way above the cpu and none of the other pins were giving off that gold reflection so I assumed that it must have been damaged in some way. Oh well, I've got the board out anyway. It had a few pretty bent caps for sure that I wasn't too worried about, but I guess this way I can at least get a new board with no bent caps.

I'll update when I have the rig back up and running.

bent/knocked over (very slightly) capacitors are not uncommon at all. If they were sideways (when the were supposed to be standing) or at a 45deg angle out of the box then maybe.

The pin looks 100% fine to me as well.

With all that said, do whatever you need to do to have the piece of mind that your build will work for you and everything else that goes along those lines.

Inexpensive motherboards have less features. ;)

Actually I can change all the Turbo ratios to overclock.;) Why bother with turbo overclock when I can just set the preset to over clock to 4.2-4.6GHz or overclock manually.

My Budget Z170s board has all the options folks need for overclocking on ambient cooling.

Actually I can change all the Turbo ratios to overclock.;) Why bother with turbo overclock when I can just set the preset to over clock to 4.2-4.6GHz or overclock manually.

My Budget Z170s board has all the options folks need for overclocking on ambient cooling.

Except the option to sync all cores it seems. Inexpensive motherboards have less features...still true. ;)

Except the option to sync all cores it seems. Inexpensive motherboards have less features...still true. ;)

I can still sync all cores if I wan't to at any clock speed two different ways.;) I hate having to converse about options that cause these ridiculous conversations of confusion amongst folks.

I hate having to converse about options that cause these ridiculous conversations of confusion amongst folks.
Tell me about it...

You first said you don't have that ability, now say you can do it two different ways...Did I misunderstand your posts?

I don't have that overclocking option to sync all cores.:shrug: Looking forward to the update.
I can still sync all cores if I wan't to at any clock speed two different ways.;)

Last edited:
I don't have that Asus option name, however can do the same Asus core sync function with my Gigabyte turbo options or multiplier.

Sorry for the long wait guys, a lot of stuff came up all of a sudden. Then when I finally got the new mobo, cpu and cooler (using dot/short line method paste application) installed, I updated the BIOS to version 3016 and enabled xmp, which it didn't like at first. I finally got it running the correct xmp profile, although in windows task manager it is still saying 2133 speed when all other tools clearly confirm the ram is running at 3200. Before the rebuild, task manager showed the correct value of 3200, so it's annoying but then again it's Windows.

Anyway on to the important part. I set the vCore to manual at 1.2v and ran Aida64 for a quick 5 minutes and came up with a max core temp of 67, with an average in the mid 50's:

AIDA64 Stability at 1.20v New CPU.jpg

I then ran p95 blend test for 5 minutes which had a core temp that started at around 64 degrees and slowly climbed to 74 degrees after 5 minutes.
Neither tests were run at full fan speeds, only using the "turbo" optimized fan curve set by Asus' Fan Xpert 3.

So, definitely much better than before.

Looks good. Much better. Nice voltage too. Just make sure it's stable I'd run Prime for a little longer. (i personally set it for 1-2 hours and if passed I just use it til it blue screens if at all XD).

Good stuff!

Glad the PC is working with good temps for you. What did you do to get the memory working correctly?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm excited to get into some overclocking. I'm going to run p95 for longer to make sure of stability first though.

As for the memory, I'm not exactly sure what I did to fix it. The time that it finally worked I did NOT select "set optimized defaults", so I think that the optimized default options might not have been "optimized" well enough.
I also realized that you do not want to try to start up the pc with the mobo driver disk in the optical drive, as Asus has a utility that automatically tries to reset the BIOS when it detects the BIOS file on the mobo driver disc. This might have been related to the memory problems as well, but I'm not sure.

Again thanks for all the help and hopefully pretty soon I'll have my first overclocked pc.

When I built my PC it took me 3 reboots after enabling XMP before it finally started booting and running at 3200 Mhz. When I overclocked it to 3333 Mhz it took 2 more trys before it booted and started running at that speed. I've known of 4 different people now who with 4 sticks of memory could not get XMP to work and I have suggested to each of them that they try with one or two sticks and if it boots slowly add one or two more or remove the first stick(s) and swap them and once you get them all to boot whther individually or in pairs then put them all in and try again. One person had eight 16 gb sticks with his 6850k and it worked for every one of them. Some call it memory training. Sometimes it takes a few tries, sometimes you have to take a different approach at things.

There shouldn't be an actual Bios .cap file on the driver disk.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard about that "memory training" method. Also, it's good to know I'm not the only one with XMP troubles on Asus boards.

There shouldn't be an actual Bios .cap file on the driver disk.

Actually there are two .cap bios files on my driver disc. They are for the Asus CrashFree BIOS 3 utility. In my mobo's manual it is on section 2.1.3. It automatically detects the .cap file on the disc and enters the EZ Flash 3 utility in order to recover from a corrupted bios update. I forgot I had the driver disc in the optical drive and was wondering why I wasn't able to get my pc to exit bios and boot normally. It would just hang with a blank screen and I had to keep force-shutting it down until I removed the driver disc.

Wow, ok then. I don't have an Optical drive so I went copied the disk onto a flash drive from my gf laptop. Never remembered seeing a Bios file. My bad. I never use them anyway, I ended up not using a single thing I copied to the usb drive and just went to their support page to get drivers.

Yeah, I hear you. The only thing I used the driver disc for was to make sure that I hadn't missed installing any drivers from the website. I just wanted to put that out there though, just in case someone else runs into the same problem I did.

Back