• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Intel HSF for 3.0C - decent or replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somegeek

I am currently running with my stock intel CPU HSF but wonder if I'd gain much by spending $20 on an aftermarket HSF? Not running a huge OC - 3.0-->3.2 - idle 27Cº - load 39Cº I've read that the stock CPU HSF is pretty good.

somegeek

somegeek said:
I am currently running with my stock intel CPU HSF but wonder if I'd gain much by spending $20 on an aftermarket HSF? Not running a huge OC - 3.0-->3.2 - idle 27Cº - load 39Cº I've read that the stock CPU HSF is pretty good.

somegeek

you should be fine w/stock at that speed

somegeek said:

somegeek

If 3.2 is your goal, then i wouldn't bother. But if you plan to go beyond that (and who wouldn't :p) than an investment into an aftermarket cooler is a good idea. I would suggest something in the 40-55 dollar range though, something copper. a $20 heat sink won't offer much added performance over the stock cooler. The zalman's or thermalright seem to offer the best cooling, right around the $50 mark.

you can push it to whatever speed you want with any heatsink/fan, its if your gonna cook eggs on it or not(a cpu will run at whatever speed its told to untill it "blows up" regardless of temps ). but yeah if you have the money get a zalman. but if not i wouldnt sweet it clocking it to 3.2. 3.4 is a diffrent story though.

I've had it stable OC'd at 3.41 before, but it ran warmer at 44ºC and the ambient temps were heating up my 6800 so it wasn't staying stable at it's OC... was thinking of dropping $20 on an aftermarket cooler but would rather save the ~$60 spent on a good heatsink towards my eventual watercooled installation.

Thanks for the replies.

wow. idle 27 on air and stock cooler. thats mad good. 44 isnt really that warm compared to other ppls temps; you should be worried a little if it was in the 50s.also i dont see how it can really heat up the 6800 that much...is ur 6800 oced? yup save the money for watercooling :)

I was able to lower my load and idle temps a few degrees by replacing the stock thermal pad with Artic Silver 5

I use a stock prescott heatsink. And look at my sig. Of course this is the best stepping for the 3.0C.

I have seen a better stock heatsink than mine, but it was on ebay and was already at $15+shipping, so I didn't bother with bidding. These stock heatsinks can be beasts!

Back