• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock speed check point before OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smoth

I have been running the system in my sig for 4 years now at stock speeds. I had been living in a house without air conditioning and had the case stuffed with hard drives, extra cards, and DVD drives, but I have just move almost all of the add-on cards and drives to a media server. Also, I am moving and will have AC now so I am looking to give myself a little speed boost as I really dont NEED a new workstation.

However, just checking my temps running Prime95 at stock with a Scythe Mugen -2 cooler with a 120 on it, and 4 120mm case fans, I am getting load temperatures hovering around 75-77C in an ambient of 25C. It is a D0 stepping chip.

I havent touched it since I installed it 4 years ago and it has been shipped back and forth throughout college so I am thinking I may need to try to reseat the heatsink.

I am also hoping to drop down to 2 or 3 case fans to cut down on the noise. So I want to make sure everything is set up properly before I start tinkering.

Does a reseat seem to be in order? I dont have any TIM on hand so I would have to order some, which is why I havent just redone it yet.

how about you clean out the inside of your case, and clean off the cpu cooler.

4 years is a long time without "touching" the inside of the case. I'd be willing to bet the inside of your case and case fans are caked with dirt/dust.

A good cleaning from top to bottom probably will net you 10-20C. I can attest to this, i just cleaned out one of my pastor's computers. He went from 79C under load down to 58C... his fans don't even speed up on a prime95 run the system runs so cool.

I suppose I wasnt the most clear, by haven't touched, I meant haven't reseated or changed settings, but I do clean it out every few weeks with some compressed air and a little duster for the heatsink. Sorry for the confusion. I can see some dust between the fins deep inside. If I reseat I will be sure to wash it thoroughly.

I suppose I wasnt the most clear, by haven't touched, I meant haven't reseated or changed settings, but I do clean it out every few weeks with some compressed air and a little duster for the heatsink. Sorry for the confusion. I can see some dust between the fins deep inside. If I reseat I will be sure to wash it thoroughly.

the thermal paste also can become less effective over time... so it might be a good idea to start with reseating the cpu cooler.

Back