• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STOP errors in Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

egbert314

Registered
Hi, I've been having many BSODs (blue screen of death) in Windows XP. The specific ones are 0xA and 0x8E. I'm pretty sure it's not my memory because I've had it tested on Memtest 86 with extended testing. My computer configuration is as follows:

CPU: AMD Thunderbird 1.4 GHz
Memory: Crucial 256 MB PC2100 RAM
Motherboard: Iwill KA266-R rev 1.3
Sound Card: Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1
Video Card: Geforce 3
CD-RW drive: Lite-On LTR-24102B (24x10x40)
DVD Drive: Lite-On LTD163 (16x)
Power Supply: Sparkle 350 watt
Hard drives: IBM 40 GB Deskstar 60GXP, WD 80 GB 800JB

I have the latest firmware for all the hardware and the latest BIOS for my motherboard. I'm almost certain that the problem is hardware since I've tried installing Windows XP and Setup crashes with a BSOD when it says "Setup is starting Windows". Can anyone please help me figure out what is wrong with my computer? Thanks!

Nobody has any suggestions? Maybe this would help: the problems started when I upgraded from my Dynapower 300 watt power supply and when I installed the Western Digital hard drive. The BSODs occur when I browse the internet, when my dvd drive accesses the cd, and in some other instances. Please, can anyone help?

Do a total format with a fresh Version of Windows XP....

Install the SP1 patch....

Install all the lastest drivers etc...and that should do it...if the problem contiunes let us know...

I've restored a good backup, from before the crashes started, but the problems still persist. And also, it's kind of hard to install Windows XP when the BSOD occurs after Setup says "Starting Windows".

I can't believe it! It must be a miracle! For some wierd reason, my computer hasn't crashed for several hours now. Before, my computer would crash within an hour of starting up, with the only intensive program being Folding@home. I did nothing to my computer; yet, today, my computer hasn't experienced a blue screen of death yet! With any luck, my computer will stay this way.

Seriously, I have no idea why the blue screens of death have stopped, but I am very grateful that they did! I did not try installing another OS or any other software, and I did not tinker with my hardware either. When I came back from school, everything just worked! If that is not a miracle, then I have no explanation for it.

Try checking out your hard drives. Go to Western Digitals sight and look for a test program and run it on that drive then go to IBM's sight and do the same for their drive (I would bet on the DeathStar).

It's been about the same temperature outside. I checked the WD drive and it has no problems. I have not checked the IBM drive, but right now, I have no real reason to. All I hope for is that this incident would never crop up again.

Okay, my luck didn't hold out. The blue screens of death have started appearing, but with less frequency than before. The most likely explanation is temperature. How can I go about cooling my system enough to run stable 24/7? I have a Swiftech MC-462 heatsink with Arctic Silver covering the CPU. My case is a Lian-Li PC-60. Is there any solution except perhaps blasting the air conditioner at full strength, or keeping the window open?

its really hard to tell

i had a slot a athlon k7 500 mhz computer that used to crash ALL THE TIME....

anyways, i tried everything... (without replacing any parts)... i used to reformat and BSOD while it was copying installation files... i thought it was my harddrive... i ran the tools on the harddrive, didn't find any errors... so ok, it wasn't my harddrive...

i got p.o'd and sold that computer... kept the harddrive, and what do you know... it wasn't what was acting up... it could've been the memory, i don't know, didn't come to my head back then to test it... the guy who has it right now says he doesn't have problems with it.. but he's running 2k as opposed to xp pro... put on windows 2000 and check...

You mentioned that the problems didn't start until you upgraded your power supply.

Run Motherboard Monitor, or some other Utility that will monitor computer Voltages. Watch and see if your voltages dip when you start running programs. Namely your 12v and 5v. If they dip too far down, then that might be the cause of the problems.

I am with Cube on that, and also, just trust me when I say if the problem starts again, pull the mem module(s) one at a time to see if the prob goes away. I had an intermitten module issue that drove me crazy for SIX MONTHS! I tried EVERYTHING except the mem modules.

Back