• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm G5 + Presler = ?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
OK, so last March, I shelled out $270 AUD for a Storm G5 from Cathar, but I plan on getting a 955XE Presler soon, which has two separate dies, rather than one large die

I'm beginning to think that I'd probably get better temps from a block like the Apogee or MCW-6002 for a CPU like that, and want to know your thoughts on this issue - would the Storm G5 suffice? or would I see better temps with water block that has a larger effective surface area for cooling such as the Swiftech Apogee?

the extra money spend is no big deal, but the extra performance is what I'm after

pic of what the Intel Presler Dual Core CPU's look like under the IHS:
presler.JPG

pic of effective cooling area of the Storm G5:
g5.jpg

pic of effective cooling area of Swiftech Apogee:
apogee.jpg

TIA for any comments
-Justin

Last edited:
You seem to be in quite a predicament there...

From testing, the Apogee and the Storm are relatively close depending on the loop. In the case of the CPU, I might lean towards the Apogee just for the surface are or even a 6002. The review over at system cooling showed that the three coolers are very similar.

Considering you have the G5 though, maybe your results might be better than a standard G4 with the Presler. The silver might offset the fact that the jet area is smaller than the actual cores beign cooled.

Good luck to you either way,

Bryan d

think of how small the 775 cpus are, then how much smaller the core area is. i'm willing to bet the jets from the g5 cover that area. either way though, the g5 should beat out anything else.

crimedog said:
think of how small the 775 cpus are, then how much smaller the core area is. i'm willing to bet the jets from the g5 cover that area. either way though, the g5 should beat out anything else.

this is true - you got me thinking so i popped open the G5 and snapped a shot of it next to the plastic LGA775 cpu holder thingy - and it looks like the jets basically cover the entire IHS if i'm visualizing the size of the IHS properly:

g5775.jpg

you will see almost no diference. they both have advantages and dis advanatages. the problem with the wider area of the appogy is that the water flow hits the center and flows away but due to the fins shape and the complete shape of the water housing it will not flow equally over every part of the extra surface area.
so its pro is more surface area, its con is that the flow will not be even ( keep in mind that this is not something that will even be noticeable in your situation because the average persons resolution is wider than needed for imperical tests)

next the storm has a smaller surface area for the jet cups but its pro is the more open design of the jet acceleration once the water has hit the cups it will then exit the area more freely.

so basically on one side ( of the equation)you have 1+3 and on the other you have 2+2 so it really depends on weather you want to spend more money for a nearly un judgeable difference.

If I correcly interpret that picture you should be fine, also remember how every on is saying that its harder with these CPUs becuase the die is so small, well you should be set.

Of course an apogee can be had for $35 new right now and if it didn't do better, speaking for myself atleast I think people would be happy to take it off your hands at that price.

yea - i'll hit it with the G5 first, and if it doesn't give me the temps i want, i'll try out a 6002 or apogee and see if it does any better :):thup:

edit: BTW thanks for the replies from all the other late night forum lurkers like me :p

yea, i found one place that still has the 6002-775 in stock in case i need one of them :)

but the 6002's are a real b**** to find now - damn swiftech and their apogee empire claiming that it owns everything in the world

I'd be more interested in 6002-K8. I don't like messing with all those O-Rings and what not. A hole in and a hole out is all I need.

That can be taken in so many different ways.

Bob Vila said:
I'd be more interested in 6002-K8. I don't like messing with all those O-Rings and what not. A hole in and a hole out is all I need.

That can be taken in so many different ways.
Yes, in fact it can! hahaha :clap:

Back