• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange 360 wifi problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
this isn't my 360, but a family member's. Please bear with me as I sit here by the fire of my PC's warmth and tell you a little story of excitement and international intrigue.... well.... at least the intrigue.... less the international....

Anyway, I get a call yesterday from my aunt and uncle. Their son (my cousin - who is in i think 5th grade) kept up his end of a deal with his parents (something involving his schoolwork) and his parents got him a 3 month XBox Live Gold card. They didn't know how to set it up, so called me up. I went to their house (as I haven't set up Live in over a year and couldn't remember how) so I could sit there and fiddle with it.

To shorten a story, I will say that the XBox Live Gold setup went smoothly.

What didn't go smoothly: The network connection.

Last Christmas, I helped my cousin setup the wifi connection on his 360 so he could get game updates and such despite not having Gold. Well, fast forward a year. The 360 still has the proper settings, but it only randomly connects, and only for a few seconds at a time.

I was puzzled, but we did some basic troubleshooting. Reset the Router. Reset all the settings on the 360. Plugged the Wifi Dongle into a different USB port on the 360. Nothing was working. Moved the 360 away from all sources of possible interference. Disconnected the Cordless phones/turned them off.

Still nothing. Just to make sure he was getting a signal (about 35 feet away from the AP), I had my cousin get his little EEE Netbook and bring it to his room. Turned it on. Wifi worked fine on it, and then mysteriously, the 360 went from 0/4 to 3/4 bars of wifi strength and connected fine.

Thinking it was a glitch that just fixed itself, I had my cousin turn off his netbook. The moment it went off, the wifi signal to the 360 died again. I was confused, but we went through all prior troubleshooting steps. He turned his netbook on again to make sure that there WAS a wifi signal in the room, and as soon as it powered on, the 360 got wifi signal again, long before XP even loaded drivers on that little EEE.

So, I had him leave the netbook on, and we managed to get the 360 to cycle through 2 updates and then got his Live Gold access turned on.

So here is the thing i'm curious about. The netbook is NOT set up as a repeater. It is just set up for standard internet access. It gets a full 5/5 bars at 35-40 feet away while the 360 doesn't (unless the netbook is on and it goes to 3/4 instead of 0/4).

WHY would this happen this way? It doesn't make sense to me.

did you try moving the xbox right next to the router? do you get bars there?

Back