• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange And Serious Question: How Do Air-Conditioners Effect PC Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatUSA

Hi all,

I've been researching this for sometime and I can't seem to find a clear answer...

I know this community is full of cooling experts so I thought I'd ask here.

During the year it gets VERY hot here whether it's summer or winter.

I have an air-conditioner that's refrigerator cooling not evaporation cooling in my study where my PC is located.

I just want to know if I'm doing damage to my PC components by keeping the refrigerator air-conditioner turned on. My goal is to keep the PC motherboard, CPU, graphics card and RAM workingas long as possible.

I basically want to make my PC components last as long as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

You're not doing any damage at all. The refrigeration system is simply cooling and drying the air and this will reduce the ambient temperature and relative humidity in the room. This fact will only aid in allowing the heatsinks within your system to utilize their delta T (or the design's ability to reduce the operating temperature of the components they are cooling) to achieve a lower temperature. The heatsinks are only able to reduce temperature based on the ambient temperature in the room, so keeping it cooler within the room will keep your components cooler as well. This is in fact a good thing.

The only issue there is increased possibility of damage from static electricity when you are using AC since it removes moisture from the air. So you would need to think about discharging before replacing components or working on the innards of the PC.

Back