• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Microsoft phonecall.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My good friend's girlfriend brother got a call like this about 2 months ago. Except he actually thought it was microsoft. He isnt the brightest of bulbs. The person on the phone was able to convice "Jeff" to change some .ini settings and such. Needless to say my bud was over there the next day to reinstall his O.S. :D

Yes, it appears there really is one in every crowd

I hope they call me. I don't have a start button, or a run button, but if I type "assoc" in a command line window, it tells me:
Code:
[thideras@thideras-main ~]$ assoc
-bash: assoc: command not found
Is this really bad guys? I don't want a bad Windows virus on my Linux desktop. :(

sudo apt-get install assoc will fix that :p

Linux comes with a built in Antagonistic Program Trap that traps and restrains antagonistic programs. It's called APT. Chances are your APT has already trapped this virus.

To clean the trap type

sudo apt-get clean

Real M$ support calls the office at 3am asking for whomever called during there 8-5 shift. You have no idea how many times we call for support and they call back at the weirdest hours.

IE: If they call in the middle of the night, it might be legit :)

Real M$ support calls the office at 3am asking for whomever called during there 8-5 shift. You have no idea how many times we call for support and they call back at the weirdest hours.

IE: If they call in the middle of the night, it might be legit :)

That is not just a Microsoft issue. I get calls at all kinds of weird hours. My favorite is the calls I get at 17:30. Don't they know most people are on there way home. How am I supposed to work on stuff while I am driving?

I have gotten what I believe were robo-callers before, I would hear what I believe was an automated system. Then I hung up.

Another one was a call where I just got a dial tone when picked up! :screwy:

Its a scam the Uk has been put on alert from the government about this but its not been published to the wider area only seems to be people who are on forums like these or who read computer mags.

I get this all the time some indian woman. i deal with them by acting shocked then ask could be this in relation to all the pr0n i download? cause i really download a lot of it. i mean im a real p0rn fiend... bla bla bla keep it going for a while then get to your computer slap on bannana phone/dubstep santa/team america and sing to them :)

i even got a call backa few mins after

I hope they call me. I don't have a start button, or a run button, but if I type "assoc" in a command line window, it tells me:
Code:
[thideras@thideras-main ~]$ assoc
-bash: assoc: command not found
Is this really bad guys? I don't want a bad Windows virus on my Linux desktop. :(

This made me lol.

Its a scam the Uk has been put on alert from the government about this but its not been published to the wider area only seems to be people who are on forums like these or who read computer mags.

I get it now and then - HELLO I AM CALLING FROM COMPUTER MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT.

Usually I just say "hold on a minute..." and leave the phone sitting on the sofa while I carry on with what I was doing. They usually only wait 5 minutes, but if I save one person from being scammed, it's worth it.

I need to think up more creative ways to take the Michael - I'm thinking spooning yoghurt into a bowl of water while speaking with *ungh* grunts every *urrrgh* so *unnngh* often. Bonus points if I can do it in a place with echoes ....*

Alternatively, yeah, Linux box I think.

*Yes, I have a sick mind.

You have to do the water one, record it and post it here.

I think my phone has a headphone socket ... I should investigate.

I'm very rarely in when they call, but next time I am, I should be prepared.

This made me lol.

I get it now and then - HELLO I AM CALLING FROM COMPUTER MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT.

Usually I just say "hold on a minute..." and leave the phone sitting on the sofa while I carry on with what I was doing. They usually only wait 5 minutes, but if I save one person from being scammed, it's worth it.

I need to think up more creative ways to take the Michael - I'm thinking spooning yoghurt into a bowl of water while speaking with *ungh* grunts every *urrrgh* so *unnngh* often. Bonus points if I can do it in a place with echoes ....*

Alternatively, yeah, Linux box I think.

*Yes, I have a sick mind.

I one time got one and hello and after the rubbish they told me about a virus I told them I worked for Microsoft myself and the phone quickly was dropped on the other end, I myself need to be more creative.

Back