• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange motherboard overheating issues while OC'd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I have a somewhat strange problem that I've run into.

My socket 939 motherboard's (DFI Infinity nForce4 SLI) chokes/coils are overheating when I heavily overclock my CPU's and push the vCore to 1.65V+ when I'm doing suicide runs for maximum CPU frequency.

I found this out because the way it was behaving it would run fine for a little while, but would shortly reboot or shutdown from what seemed to me to be overheating issues. So, I started feeling around the board for anything that seemed unusually hot, the CPU's temperature was at acceptable levels, the mosfet heatsink was a little warm, but didn't seem too hot, finally I saw the chokes and thought I'd check them. I swear these things are hotter than a nuclear reactor in a meltdown, and this is with the system at idle. Now I may be wrong about this (I don't know if high temps can adversely affect the performance of the chokes), but they seem to be the only thing anywhere on the motherboard that is very very hot now.

Tried mounting a fan to blow cooler air on them, but that didn't help much, if at all.

Another strange thing I found was that the chip for my Marvell LAN port was overheating, had to mount some of those copper mosfet heatsinks on it to get it to remain stable while I am overclocking. And it genuinely did help, because after I applied the heatsinks I could now get my internet browser to load pages without it taking forever (sometimes when I went to hwbot to make a submission it would lock the system up just by opening up Firefox or IE), and I was able to overclock to higher levels and remain stable (or stable enough for benching).

Any suggestions, or has anyone else ever run into similar problems?

Wasn't sure whether this question was better suited to motherboards or cooling, so forgive me if I chose the wrong one.

I think i would back it down.. Maybe it just cant handle it.. SOme boards and chips just cant OC as well as other, Even the same brand,chip all of it the same. All chips,boards are different.

Back