• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strangest thing EVER! - bad mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magnus28

Registered
got asus 890fx a week ago.. overclocked it to 4.0ghz, everything stable... did a burn in with new ram settings, and for 2 hours and 6 passes it said ram was stable.

Next morning i get up. computer had shut off.

when i turned it back on, i noticed the cpu fan wasn't spinning. The other 11 fans were running fine. So i'm thinking fan burned out and fried my 1090t. I hit the mem ok button, and the clr cmos button... nothing. I reboot and i notice after about 15-20 seconds my cpu fan starts running again...

The weirdist thing ever happened..

NO POST SCREEN, NO ASUS LOGO, NOTHING! just a black screen.

So i'm thinking cpu or bios is fried. I removed the cmos battery, and after an hour i replaced it again.. Same thing, all other fans start up, cpu fan starts running after about 15 seconds.

I look at the led lights, and randomly the boot led would show an error, then the ram led, then the cpu led. So i fire up the computer again, hoping that something will happen. after 5 minutes, something even weirder happened....

Windows 7 loaded!

everything worked fine, except windows told me it didn't recognize a usb device (my mouse). I moved my mouse from the front usb headers (top of my case) to the back (rear headers). mouse worked fine, and i was able to run programs like normal.

So thinking my bios was corrupt, i updated my bios from windows (from a known good file). i rebooted my computer - same black screen with not even a logo, and no post. I tried several times tapping del to see if i could get into bios, but no luck.

So to sum it up, i have no front usb headers, and no post screen, no way to get into bios. BUT WINDOWS LOADS BY ITSELF AFTER 5 MINS.

i read in another forum guy having ame problem and someone suggested it was the alfanumeric mode gone in his monitor or GPU (i forget which one).

so you think replace the mobo?

thanks

My friend had the same issue with yours and it turned out to be the mobo. He thought it was the W7 power management in the first place but after replacing psu/memory and reinstalling W7 a couple of times the issue still existed. He ran the whole nine yards of mobo diags but didn't find anything but after replacing the board the issue went away.

RMA it as soon as possible before the warranty expires.

Back