• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stress testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you stress test a CPU?

Is SuperPI a good test to see if you have a good overclock?

I read this thread, but i crashed over and over so I decided to lower the voltage down to 1.3v and it seem to be stable @ 4.5Ghz

SuperPI did the 8M test in 1m 35s.

It's a bit strange to see 4489.79GHZ vs the actual 4.5Ghz, but whatever...

Attachments

• 4.5Ghz.jpg
    4.5Ghz.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 55
Prime95: Some say run it for 24 hours, some say 12 hours, or 2hrs, or 10 minutes... I personally run it for an hour.

Intel Burn Test: Note that this tool is very stressful and will produce the highest temperatures among all stress testing programs. Make sure you have very adequate cooling and use with care. I run 10 loops on "high".

Now after you're done with all these tools, you're not done. You use your computer. Browsing, media playing, gaming... everything, especially gaming. If your system is not stable, at one point or another one of your games *will* crash. That's the reason I don't bother doing excessive stress tests. Keep in mind that very often stress testing tools will run stably for many hours but a browser or a game can crash in 10 minutes. Using is the ultimate test for stability.

Running IBT now... I've ran Prime for about 10 minutes, all the other time it blue screened about 5 minutes into it.. Made some changes, all seem good @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.28v

I run prime 95 for 24 hours, I've had systems fail anywhere between 1 min and 19 hours in prime but I never had a fail past 24 and I've never had a problem with a 24 hour stable system. I have also heard that a unstable system that boots into windows can corrupt the boot and its possible for the system not to be able to boot. I've never had that problem but I hear things every once in a while. The quote I've been told by better builders then me is a system is either stable or unstable there is no such thing as a % of unstable its just unstable and will fail eventually but it can't be predicted by attaching a percentage to it. The way i've been told is the system that fails at 1 min is the same as one that fails at 23 hours.

Back