• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stumped. USB wifi adapter problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darknecron

Issue: USB wifi adapter works flawlessly on sig PC as well as an HP laptop, but not on another desktop.

Wifi Adapter: Etekcity High Power 802.11

Sig PC (see sig for other info):

Other desktop PC:
CPU: i5 4670k
RAM: 8 GB G.Skil Ripjaws 1600
GPU: Asus HD 7790
Mobo: ASRock H81M
PSU: Corsair 600 watt

What I Have Tried:
Absolutely bleeping everything. I have had this issue for over a month now. I have re-installed the OS and full up-to-date driver package multiple times. Even after a perfectly fresh install of OS and drivers, the wifi adapter does not work properly. Every USB port has been tested with several other devices, and all work flawlessly (USB hard drive, USB flash drive, USB mouse, USB keyboard). I have literally tried dozens (if not over 100) possible fixes without avail. I cannot recall all of them, so I will add them here as I remember them.

Windows Network Symbol Legend:
No Internet Access (screen with ethernet connector, covered by red X) : A
Internet Access (screen with ethernet connector): B
No Networks Available (empty wifi bars, covered with red X): C
Searching For Networks (empty wifi bars with windows 7's "thinking" symbol [revolving aquamarine circle]): D
Connections Available (full wifi bars with yellow dot): E
Attempting to Connect (full wifi bars with windows 7's "thinking" symbol [revolving aquamarine circle]): F
Connected to Network (full wifi bars): G

Sequence of events as USB Wifi Adapter is registered on "Other desktop PC" for first time:
A > C > D > E

On connect attempt:
E > F > G > B > A > C > A > C > A > C > A > C > A > C > A > C > A.....
Loops continuously between A and C until device is uninstalled form system. If I unplug it, and then plug it back in (or disable it and then enable it), it still keeps looping between A and C. It takes about 7 seconds for a full loop.

I am lost.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just tested the front USB ports. Turns out that the adapter works perfectly on ONE of them, the one labeled as "SS USB."

WTF

Hiya Darknecron
Have you tried disabling legacy os support for usb 2.0 and/or 3.0 in bios?

SS USB (Super Speed), aka USB 3.0.

Do the drivers have its own wi-fi utility to connect to wireless networks? Sometimes they can conflict with the Windows wi-fi utility and one of them needs to be disabled.

However, you said it works on the USB 3.0 port. How many USB devices do you have plugged in? It's possible that you already have a high draw on the USB 2.0 controller (you may have several controllers depending on your motherboard) such as an external hard drive and that the adapter cannot get the power it needs. The USB 3.0 is on a separate controller and can offer higher power, up to 900 or 1000mA (forgot which). USB 2.0 can only offer 500mA, unless they are specifically designed for more power; you'll see some motherboards with yellow/red USB slots, that is what they are for.

I have tried with several driver versions, including the default windows driver (which I currently have working). My question is...why does THAT USB port work? I have other USB 3.0 ports as well, and none of them work.

I have tried all ports with ONLY the adapter plugged in (no keyboard). The mouse I am using is PS2.

I have previously tried disabling Legacy USB support. No effect.

Last edited:
What is the front port hooked up to? The specs indicate that only 4xUSB 2.0 headers are available. Did you use a USB 3 extension to plug into the rear I/O, or a USB 3-to-2 internal adapter?

I used the case's adapter to plug into the front USB header slot. That means that the only port it is working in is the case's USB 3.0 slot, which is plugged into a USB 2.0 header...let me try disconnecting the case's ports and just running the the mobo's.

Back