• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub Zero Water Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhIlLy ChEeSe

OK all,
Thought I'd post up as I did a set of brakes for a friend he traded me a stand up freezer for doing them. It's in ruff shape but he said it freezes nicely, I'm gonna borrow the sawzall from work soon and take to it. Since my GA-P67A-UD5-B3 losses my hard drive under heavy clocking I needed a new interest till it returns.
I have tons of questions but thought I's start this thread, then work it all out as we go.Pictures! :thup:

Attachments

• DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    923.7 KB · Views: 1,085
  • DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    570.6 KB · Views: 839
  • DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
Two main things you need to see to on a freezer for benching:
1) Lots of airflow over the condenser coils.
2) Don't let the pump overheat and fry.

Given that much room you could do something like use a 10 gallon reservoir in there with a couple radiators and fans for airflow, run the thing for a couple days so all ten gallons are at -20c (or whatever) and then do your benching, five gallons can deal with a 980x at 4.7ghz through the Vantage CPU test four or five times with only a couple degrees increase in temps.

Two main things you need to see to on a freezer for benching:
1) Lots of airflow over the condenser coils.
2) Don't let the pump overheat and fry.

Given that much room you could do something like use a 10 gallon reservoir in there with a couple radiators and fans for airflow, run the thing for a couple days so all ten gallons are at -20c (or whatever) and then do your benching, five gallons can deal with a 980x at 4.7ghz through the Vantage CPU test four or five times with only a couple degrees increase in temps.

Thanks guys!

I'm just worried as in the one photo the wires going up the back side in the the fridge? Also it has a control panel on the door to adjust temps. As the coils are in the back side of the inside of fridge and covered up too.

Bob so your saying don't cut it up use it with the water running inside as a reservoir, just pop in a couple holes? I was thinking of cutting it up and just use it to cool a reservoir like he did in this link.
http://www.kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490

Any and all suggestion/comments are welcome here, as long as they make it colder!

You may have a hard time doing what TiN did with a fridge, it depends largely on how they built the fridge. I'd be fairly surprised if the coils were mounted on flexible lines for instance.

I'd do what I described first and see if it can handle a load and what sort of temps it can work with, fridges are built to turn off from time to time while AC units are built for continuous operation.
I think the fridge unit will live if you can keep the condenser coils and the compressor cool.

If you decide to disassemble the freezer I strongly recommend against using a reciprocating saw. They are not exactly precision instruments and its quite likely that the shell of the freezer is being used as the condenser. You will want to carefully remove all the sheet metals and then pick the foam off the copper coils you find. When your done you will likely have 2 loops of copper, the condenser and the evaporator(hot side / cold side). you could arrange so the condenser is close to the compressor and fan cool it, then submerge your evaporator coil into your coolant and your done.

Also something to keep in mind is that these freezers are designed for short duty cycles and not continuous operation like an AC unit is. Therefor its probably a much smaller compressor, it will be capable of getting your sub zero temps but in no way is it going to allow extended operation. I would say assume a long cool down with only a few hours of operation before your back above freezing followed by another long cool down.

OK,
I understand, it is a freezer so............ I'm gonna plug it in when the temps out side are lower(at night) as its been so hot here, see where it will go. I'm looking for a good pump that will accept the low temps on Flee bay here's a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-1-.../370534122392?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item56458e0398
Though I assume its volume/GPH is too high, I could put a reastat on it to lower the flow. Or if anyone has a better link for one, I'm pretty much set on the board side of it just need a good pump to handle it.

Cool!
So that pump looks OK? Ill be using half inch ID tubbing, probably insulat it with pipe wrap. I also have a nice Fridgidair window A/C unit but its still basically brand new. I'd prefer not to cut it up unless the freezer wont make the cut......
My P67A-UD5-B3 has the cold bug boot problem, I started to make some runs with it but it would lose the HDD under high clocks(4.9) or higher, so I'm waiting on an RMA number for it from Gigabyte. Ill be hooking up my fixed PSU soon to a 775 mother board to see what happens, ill post the results in my other thread under PSU.
Thank you all for your help and keep the ideas coming!

Aluminum isn't ideal, but this isn't a 24/7 setup.

Thanks man!
Been meaning to update, but life has been going on here. Damn pin burn on my EVGA P55FTW, they warrantied it once already. Then had to RMA my GA-P67-UD5 as it kept losing my hard drive around 4.9 and I know it can go way higher temps were good for a hot day but still shouldn't lose the HHD. That should be getting back soon, plus I got a GA-P55 from fleebay. The pump is on hold, Fridge is in the house(told the old lady she can keep food in it) :rofl: Got a few GPU'S on there way, nothing new just want to be able to bench a few different one's. Plus I got a few SLI and Cross fire set ups complete. Had these 3870 X2 water blocks sitting around, need one more card. I'll be updating soon as I can get the fridge in my computer room(without the food).

I'll be up dating this soon, have the container in the fridge. The fridge is sitting next to my table ova here---------------------------------------------> Time to drill two 1inch holes

http://hougen.com/cutters/cutters_index.html

This link is for a tool that cuts precise holes, comes in various diameters and I find it useful for cutting holes in sheet metal of various thicknesses. Not overly expensive either. Add grommets to the finished hole and you can run tubing, wiring, whatever. Depending on the end product you can also drill sequentially to make an elongated hole.

Just be careful when drilling holes through the side of the fridge that you dont hit any condenser lines. Alot of older fridge/freezers run copper tubing along the insulation and against the case metal instead of using an external condenser.

Just be careful when drilling holes through the side of the fridge that you dont hit any condenser lines. Alot of older fridge/freezers run copper tubing along the insulation and against the case metal instead of using an external condenser.

gotchas!:thup:

http://hougen.com/cutters/cutters_index.html

This link is for a tool that cuts precise holes, comes in various diameters and I find it useful for cutting holes in sheet metal of various thicknesses. Not overly expensive either. Add grommets to the finished hole and you can run tubing, wiring, whatever. Depending on the end product you can also drill sequentially to make an elongated hole.

I like their bits. Sent them an email, as I'm not sure where to buy such a bit.

OK,
Small update as I've really done nothing with it, except get it in my computer room/man cave. But wanted to show how I want to use the large tub with three rad's in the freezer, I got a new set of hole reamers to make it nice an clean. Plus I got a new victim I'll be beating on soon and thought I'd post a few eye candy shoots as who don't like pictures of hardware :thup:. Plus a photo of the P67 going into my everyday rig, I removed the water cooling set up on it and went with a Cool Master V6 GT(my first ever air cooler) I must say this thing is big, though it is my first ever so nothing to compare it to per say.
Without further ado.....................in no certain order.

Attachments

• home chiller 001.JPG
    home chiller 001.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 513
  • home chiller 002.JPG
    home chiller 002.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 510
  • home chiller 004.JPG
    home chiller 004.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Back