• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub Zero Water Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Couple more :salute:

Attachments

• home chiller 005.JPG
    home chiller 005.JPG
    785.2 KB · Views: 114
  • home chiller 006.JPG
    home chiller 006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 113
  • home chiller 007.JPG
    home chiller 007.JPG
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 113
If you decide to disassemble the freezer I strongly recommend against using a reciprocating saw. They are not exactly precision instruments and its quite likely that the shell of the freezer is being used as the condenser. You will want to carefully remove all the sheet metals and then pick the foam off the copper coils you find. When your done you will likely have 2 loops of copper, the condenser and the evaporator(hot side / cold side). you could arrange so the condenser is close to the compressor and fan cool it, then submerge your evaporator coil into your coolant and your done.

Also something to keep in mind is that these freezers are designed for short duty cycles and not continuous operation like an AC unit is. Therefor its probably a much smaller compressor, it will be capable of getting your sub zero temps but in no way is it going to allow extended operation. I would say assume a long cool down with only a few hours of operation before your back above freezing followed by another long cool down.

UGH!
Popped a hole in the side all the freon leaked out :bang head

I can still use the unit right? Anybody need some parts or should I just fix it out side of the fridge?

You can still use the compressor if that's what your asking. The process has gotten a fair bit more complex for you now though. You probably want to build a chiller or an SS setup now.

You can still use the compressor if that's what your asking. The process has gotten a fair bit more complex for you now though. You probably want to build a chiller or an SS setup now.

Yeah,
Do you think I could plug the hole or solider it and then put an adapter on the charger to fill it with the new stuff? I swear next time I'm gonna listen to you!:bang head

Back