• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Successfully Flashed My Corsair x64 with Latest Patriot Firmware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanie's Show

I know their is prolly a few of you out there who have tried as did I on various different computers and tonnes of different SATA ports to flash your Corsair X SSD with their latest firmware and just ended up with the message "Download Failed, BYE" yeah thanks Corsair for that interesting message and your rubbish software.

Well I found a work around, yes it will prolly void your warranty, but I really didnt care, Corsair were not getting anywhere with it, whilst all other manufacturers were miles ahead with TRIM and GC support, Corscrap were still trying to get the utility to work right, if you look me up on the Corsair forum you will see I was banned for trying to post this information for users wanting it and all my posts deleted.

Please be aware before trying this yourself I have only done this on the X64 series drive with a Lindlinx Barefoot Controller, I would imagine this should work with all other X series drives, ie the 32, 128 and 256gb drives, but if you can successfully update with Corsairs firmware then their is no need to try this or if you have a couple of these drives in a RAID configuration then there is also no need to try this, as the latest firmware will only give you TRIM on your drive and TRIM doesnt work with RAIDed drives.

Firstly, have ready either your Windows 7 or Vista disk (x86 or x64 will do).
I then downloaded to a bootable USB key, the latest firmware from the Patriot website to best match my drive, this is the Patriot Torqx x64 1916 firmware as this is their drive with the Lindlinx controller in it.

http://www.patriotmem.com/support/firmwarep.jsp NOT THE M28 FIRMWARE, SCROLL DOWN FURTHER

Next is one of the most important parts, shutdown your computer, then on the back of the corsair drive you will find 2 pins for a jumper, stick a jumper on them.

When you boot up your PC next goto the bios, your drive should now get picked up as a YBarefoot blah blah blah, shutdown once again.

Insert both your USB key with the firmware on it, and your Windows DVD. Boot from your Windows DVD and select repair your computer (NOT INSTAL NOW), from the next window select recovery Console with command prompt.

From the command prompt you can access your USB stick and run the patriot flash utility, the flash takes less than 2 seconds.

once flashed just shut down your computer again, remove your USB key, and the jumper from the back of the drive, there is no need to remove you Windows DVD as you will need this again as the flash completely erases the drive back to factory settings, only now you have a Patriot Torqx Drive not a Corsair x64.

After the flash before reinstalling Windows I ran a secure erase utility on the drive myself, but I dont think this is really required as the flash pretty much does this for you.

You now have TRIM support in Windows 7 and soon to be added is GC (Garbage Collection) for RAID configurations as TRIM doesnt work with RAIDed SSD's.

From the command prompt you can access your USB stick and run the patriot flash utility, the flash takes less than 2 seconds.

Thanks Seanie, i followed your instructions, but when i'll access usb drive to start flashing utility, i'm not able to run it as i onlyy getting this message:
THE SUBSYSTEM NEEDED TO SUPPORT THE IMAGE TYPE IS NOT PRESENT

It just won't run, i tried it under the windows and the flashing failed. I couldn't figure out how to run it outside of windows, i even booted up from usb with DOS and it just said that, this program can't run under DOS.

Please let me know how you did it. Thanks...

Back