• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggested PSU and motherboard for my new build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

Hello guys! My name is Martin and I am going to present my planned PC build. Why am I writing here? I would like you guys to suggest me a good cheap overclock able motherboard and a decent PSU that will hold my specs SAFELY and will be good enough for me to add any upgrades later on.

So, my spec's are:

i7 4970k @ 4.0GHz - maybe planning to overclock - do you guys recommend it? If yes to what extent?
GTX970 - Not sure which brand yet. I am thinking of Gigabyte and MSI I think I am more interested in those - maybe you can suggest a better one?
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz - should be enough for gaming/streaming right?
Zalman Z11 Plus Case
EVGA 220 CPU cooler

So I am looking for a good motherboard and PSU that is compatible with all these specs. Can you lads recommend please? :) I would like to have a look at a couple of choices of possible. Thank you very much!

Zalman isn't really known for making good cases. You might want to consider a Corsair, Phanteks, Antec, or Silverstone. If you want something flashy I don't think you can beat Corsair's 760T. It's a bit pricey though. You can add lights to any case through LED fans and LED light strips. It's not expensive to do.

I'm not familiar with the "EVGA 220 CPU cooler". You sure you're not thinking of the Swiftech H220X? I'd suggest going with a big air cooler or a 240mm ALC liquid cooler. I like the H220X but it is quite bulky and tough to fit in some cases. I'd look at an NZXT Kraken personally. Either that or a Noctua NHD14. Both are quite easy to install. The NHD14 has the advantages that it'll never leak (though ALC leaks are rare) and it has no pump to jam or fail. Also less noise due to no pump.

GTX 970 is a good choice. You should be aware that it has just recently been discovered that the GPU on that card can't address the final 512MB of VRAM on the card at full speed, or anywhere near it, due to some "interesting" design choices by NVidia. This results in a minor performance loss when exceeding 3.5GB of VRAM usage in games/applications. Don't let that discourage you from buying the card. It still performs well. You should just know what you're getting.

The 4790K is a good choice of CPU. Yes we would all recommend you overclock it. This forum is overclockers.com after all. It's not to what extent you overclock, but rather, to what voltage. On your average 240mm liquid cooler or large air heatsink the 4790K starts to get toasty around 1.25-1.3V so you don't really want to be going over that. It basically comes down to "Whatever you can squeeze out of the CPU @ less than 1.3V". Usually 1.25V is enough to get a decent overclock out of them. Your mileage will vary, as all CPUs perform differently above their manufacturer specifications. You should be aware that if you do not want to overclock, you can save money both on the CPU and the CPU cooler (you won't need one. Just use the one in the Intel box.) You can get a Xeon equivalent to a 4770K for about $240. 4 cores, hyper threading, 8MB L3 cache, but no overclocking.

The 1600Mhz RAM is sort of "meh"... It's 2015. I think everybody should be going for at least 2133 if not 2400. Team Xtreem 2400Mhz Cas 10 RAM is cheap if you shop around. Below that look for a 2133 cas 9 kit. Cas 11 @ 2133 is what you're going to see the most of and that, too, is rather "meh". Will the RAM make a huge difference in gaming? No. You might gain maybe 1 frame per second, but since the price differences from 1600 to 2400 are like $10 these days, why not? Know what I mean?

Power supply wise, if you only ever plan to have the single 970, you can get away with a pretty skimpy power supply. You don't actually need 550W but I'd suggest you the Seasonic G-550 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=Seasonic_SSR_550-_-17-151-119-_-Product
You can get it cheaper than that. Go to pcpartpicker.com and shop around. But that's the one I would suggest to you for a single GPU system. Very good quality.

The motherboard choice depends entirely on whether you will be overclocking or not, and what features you want.

Overclocking, great sound, great connectivity:
ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
Overclocking, good sound, good connectivity, few $ cheaper:
ASUS Z97-A
Overclocking, decent sound, decent connectivity, even cheaper
ASRock Z97 Extreme 3
Mild overclocking, acceptable sound, acceptable connectivity, cheaper still
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
No overclocking, acceptable sound, acceptable connectivity, very cheap
ASRock B85 Anniversary

Without going into too much detail, at the top we have a board that sells from $160-180 US, depending on where and when you buy it, and has everything including the kitchen sink. SLI/Crossfire support, the best integrated audio codec available, a seperated PCB section with seperated L/R channels on different layers for the audio, quality electrolytic audio capacitors. It has 12 phase CPU power, dual M.2 SSD slots, one of which is Ultra M.2, SATA Express, dual, very high quality network adapters, dual removable BIOS chips, 12K solid state capacitors. It's fantastic.

At the bottom we have a board that sells for $50-60, has no SLI/Crossfire support, has mediocre integrated audio and a mediocre network adapter, limited SATA connectivity, no M.2, 4 phase CPU power cheaper capacitors. But hey, it's $50. And it works.

Why did I pick out so many ASRock boards? They deliver good value per dollar spent. That doesn't mean they are the best motherboards. There are better boards. The ASUS Maximus VII extreme or the Gigabyte Z97XWifi BK gaming G1 are way better than the ASRock Extreme 6, but they are firmly in the "diminishing returns" bracket. They are better than the Extreme 6 in the same way that a Geforce Titan Z is better than a GTX 970. Twice the power, but very inferior price to performance ratio.

You should also be aware that, if you choose the correct motherboard (not listed here), cpu cooler, and GPU, you can fit these parts into a VERY small case, if that interests you. Cases like the EVGA Hadron and Corsair 250D are very attractive and very portable.
There are even "designer" cases like this Lian Li train PC (but you can't fit a long video card in it)
lian_li_pc-ck101_side.jpg

Last edited:
WOW MAN YOU'RE A BEAST!

1. Case - I already have the case so I'm not changing that. I think its a good case actually, 5 fans and it is fairly big fitting all kinds of cards etc.

2. Cooler - Okay i'm an idiot EVGA cooler? haha. I meant Cooler Master 212 Evo :p Pretty cheap and does a good job from what I heard.

3. GPU - That worries me quite a bit that it doesn't use that VRAM but it has 4GB of it so what ever :) I'm only using two monitors anyway.

4. CPU - I think I will stay with i7 because of the performance and reliability I heard, and I might overclock as well.

5. RAM - I might look around for that, but I heard and I've seen a video that it is not really efficient the speeds of RAM. Look at this video:

6. My current supply is Corsair 550VS. Should I swap it for a new one?

18A= +3.3V
18A= +5.0V
42A= +12.0V
0.3A= -12.0V
2.5A= +5Vsb

This is my power supply. :) IMPORTANT ONE: My power supply makes quiet electric static noises 24/7. Is this normal? I had this for a long time and no problems with it.

7. I like the top tier one that you posted. What about MSI Z97 GAMING 7 Intel ATX Motherboard ? Any different? Better ? Worse?

Thank you for your help and your time spent to writing such an essay and helping me create my wonderful PC build!

I7 is not more reliable or any less overclockable than its I5 counterpart...

I wouldn't about 3.5gb either unless you are on 3x monitors or 4k. People are really making a big deal out nothing there.

Psu is fine. That sound is likely coil whine. While annoying, there isn't anything wrong.

I don't think it's PSU is the coil whine. When listening to coil whine on YouTube it is not the same noise. My noise is like an electric frying. Like if it was frying, i hear the electric itself. It's like bzz bzz bzz bzz, never stopping.

If it is on it's way out, just grab a quality 550 and your good

I personally like the G2 line from eVGA if they make one that small?

if not they are cheap enough you could get a 650 for the price of many other quality 550's

Seasonics can be had reasonable as well if you catch a sale

As far as a board goes on ambient look at quality boards with the features you will actually use.

Asus Z97pro
Asrock Ex 6

are good choices

if you are looking at flagship products the Asrock z97 OCF is hard to beat at it's price point in comparison the the Formula and SOC

Can you explain to me what would be the difference between the boards you have gixen e.g. Asrock Ex6 and the Msi z98 Gaming 5 ?

Okay I am thinking of buying 750W Seasonic EVO, Full Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze, 1x120mm, ATX, PSU. What do you think about that? Would be nice for future upgrades too and is pretty expensive.

Also would you guys explain to me the difference in the ASRock Motherboards. I mean the Extreme 3,4,6 etc. I can't see any differences, would be nice if you listed them and also check out the msi gaming 5 I menioned above.

Also would you guys explain to me the difference in the ASRock Motherboards. I mean the Extreme 3,4,6 etc. I can't see any differences, would be nice if you listed them and also check out the msi gaming 5 I menioned above.

There are definitely differences between the Ex 3/4/6. Better power delivery for the CPU, better audio implementation, better LAN implementation, better SATA connectivity, etc. It gets better and better as you go up the lines. If you go to the ASRock website and read their information for the various boards you will see the differences. Sometimes the little differences aren't listed so you have to use google. "What NIC does the Extreme 4 use" "What audio codec does the extreme 6 use" etc. The best board out of the bunch is the extreme 6. By far. Particularly, its audio implementation is the best of the bunch and its connectivity is the best, as it has 2 M.2 slots both of which are full length, one of which is Ultra M.2 which really future proofs you for high speed storage upgrades in the future. The reason most of us are suggesting ASRock for Z97 is that they just give you more features for the money. For example, let's compare an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 ($160) to an ASUS Z97-A ($140)

Extreme_04S.jpg

01_asus_z97-a.jpg

The ASRock board, for a mere $20 more, has 12 phase power vs split 4 phase, 10 SATA 6gbps ports vs 6, 2 full length M.2 slots vs 1 2/3 length slot, a much better audio implementation with great caps vs a mediocre implementation with worse and less caps, and an inferior audio codec. Dual LAN vs single LAN, dual switchable bios with replaceable chips, vs single bios with non replaceable chip. The list goes on. At least the Z97-A has two old school PCI slots... incase you're still using a standard the industry has been trying to kill for 10 years. Hehe. The only advantages the ASUS board has are Q-connectors and the TPU and EPU. The Q connectors are actually useful, particularly the front panel one. It lets you connect all the annoying little wires for your power switch, reset switch, power LEDs, and case speaker (if you have one) to the Q connector, then connect that to your motherboard. It makes the process easier. Is it worth accepting an inferior motherboard to save 5 minutes of frustration? No. The EPU and TPU are power saving and auto overclocking features. Again, useless to a true overclocker who wants to do everything properly through the bios. Oh and the Ex 6 has a POST LED readout (see the little digital clock looking bit on the ASRock board in the picture?). That is exceptionally practical. PC won't boot? No need to screw around trying to figure out why, read the code, and then look in the manual to see what "36" means. For example, bad stick of RAM. Fix the problem quickly without frustration. Removes the need for a PC speaker, which, on a board without a POST LED, is a must. I like to have both though. Pick up a PC speaker with your build. They're like a dollar. It's worth having.

1000x1000.jpg

Then if you go down to something like a Z97 Extreme 3, you get

6 SATA 6Gbps ports, NO Sata express, NO M.2, split 4 phase power, single removable bios chip, crapp(ier) audio with less, crappy caps and no seperated audio PCB section. In otherwords, it's junk compared to the Extreme 6.

The Extreme 4 is somewhere in between. It shares the same audio codec with the EX6 but does not have any enhancements to it like a seperated PCB section for cleaner sound. Honestly, you can't beat the Extreme 6 for the price, and I would very strongly urge you to get it.

I don't think it's PSU is the coil whine. When listening to coil whine on YouTube it is not the same noise. My noise is like an electric frying. Like if it was frying, i hear the electric itself. It's like bzz bzz bzz bzz, never stopping.

That could be the fan. If it's not the fan, I'd replace the power supply. VS aren't very good units to begin with. I would suggest that, if you want a 750W unit, you get an EVGA Supernova G2.

WOW MAN YOU'RE A BEAST!

1. Case - I already have the case so I'm not changing that. I think its a good case actually, 5 fans and it is fairly big fitting all kinds of cards etc.

2. Cooler - Okay i'm an idiot EVGA cooler? haha. I meant Cooler Master 212 Evo :p Pretty cheap and does a good job from what I heard.

3. GPU - That worries me quite a bit that it doesn't use that VRAM but it has 4GB of it so what ever :) I'm only using two monitors anyway.

4. CPU - I think I will stay with i7 because of the performance and reliability I heard, and I might overclock as well.

5. RAM - I might look around for that, but I heard and I've seen a video that it is not really efficient the speeds of RAM. Look at this video:

6. My current supply is Corsair 550VS. Should I swap it for a new one?

18A= +3.3V
18A= +5.0V
42A= +12.0V
0.3A= -12.0V
2.5A= +5Vsb

This is my power supply. :) IMPORTANT ONE: My power supply makes quiet electric static noises 24/7. Is this normal? I had this for a long time and no problems with it.

7. I like the top tier one that you posted. What about MSI Z97 GAMING 7 Intel ATX Motherboard ? Any different? Better ? Worse?

Thank you for your help and your time spent to writing such an essay and helping me create my wonderful PC build!

If you already have the case, don't worry about it. It'll be fine.
The Hyper 212 is a good cooler, but it won't get you as high of an overclock as something like an NZXT Kraken. But it's cheap. So up to you.
Don't worry about the VRAM issue with the 970. It seriously isn't that big of a deal.
The i7 is no more or less reliable than any other chip. It's all Haswell. Pentium, Celeron, i3/i5/i7, Xeon. They're all made the same way at the same factories.
Not sure what you mean by "It's not really efficient the speeds of RAM". Don't believe everything you read/see on Youtube.

I would try to steer you away from an 80+ bronze PSU. 80+ gold is much better and not much more expensive. If you want a 750W unit for possible SLI in the future, look at the EVGA Supernova 750W G2. It is an excellent unit and very affordable for what it is.

You should know, though, that you can get away with a 550W power supply with dual 970s, if they aren't terribly overvolted. A 650 would be a nice "buffer zone". The Seasonic G-650 has 4 PCIE connectors if I recall correctly, and would suit your needs. I think the Supernova G2 750W is a better unit though. It's been very well received. I'm going to use a Supernova in my next build unless something better comes out.

Oh, and MSi? No. Don't even look at MSi or ECS or Biostar. They are not as high quality as ASRock, Gigabyte and ASUS, and do not deliver great bang for buck. A cheap ECS or Biostar board is a cheap board with cheap components. Many cheap ASRock boards are cheap boards with surprisingly decent components. ECS is just a joke, and MSi uses really crummy ferrite chokes, while the competition uses alloy chokes, and the POSCaps they use around the CPU have a lower MTBF than competing 10K/12K caps you can find on decent ASRock (and other mfg) boards. Don't be one of those "MSi people". If I can give you an analogy, an MSi board is like a ricer Honda Civic with a turbocharger, aftermarket exhaust, spinners, and a big wing. ASRock boards like the EX 6 are more like a proper muscle car. Or if you're into imports, a nice Subaru WRX. Above that, "Enthusiast" boards like the Maximus VII Extreme are like a top of the line Ferrari. But they cost as much as an actual Ferrari. If you aren't an extreme overclocker (ie, you don't have a bunch of liquid nitrogen in your garage), or you aren't rich and willing to sink money into stuff you don't need, you are not in the market for an Enthusiast board.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. So I guess you don't like MSI so I should not get their version of the GTX970? If not which one would you recommend? I was thinking of the Gigabyte because of the three fans.

In addition which SSD would you recommend? I would like a 120GB one that is a good read quality but not too expensive, not really going over the 60 pound mark. And it would be nice if you pointed out the differences in the different SSD's.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

No idea what the problem is with MSI. I know in the amd world that their boards aren't taken well, however for Intel and gpus, there is little reason not to get them. They make some beastly boards and cards.

No idea what the problem is with MSI. I know in the amd world that their boards aren't taken well, however for Intel and gpus, there is little reason not to get them. They make some beastly boards and cards.

The chokes are cheap p.o.s. parts and the POScaps have a low MTBF. Look it up. I would never buy an MSI board. Their GPUs are ok I guess.

I'm talking about these caps that MSi uses for CPU power

poscap-all.jpg

Their MTBF is much lower than the 10K and 12K solid caps of the competition.
Or at least, that's what I've read.

The chokes are cheap p.o.s. parts and the POScaps have a low MTBF. Look it up. I would never buy an MSI board. Their GPUs are ok I guess.

I'm talking about these caps that MSi uses for CPU power

http://www.martinsson.se/en/file/produktbilder/poscap-all.jpg[/img

Their MTBF is much lower than the 10K and 12K solid caps of the competition.
Or at least, that's what I've read.[/QUOTE]

So with those "POS Caps" and "POS Chokes", one would think that these results wouldn't be possible:

5.1GHz i7-4770K
[url]http://www.overclockers.com/msi-z97-xpower-max-ac-motherboard-review/[/url]
[url]http://www.overclockers.com/msi-z97mpowermax-ac-review/[/url]

4.6GHz i7-5820K
[url]http://www.overclockers.com/msi-X99-gaming9ac-review/[/url]

MSI motherboards suck for AMD.
They're perfectly fine for Intel.
Go read some more.

Heh, I can only see TOCN when he's quoted... wow. Thanks ATM. :)

You are making mountains out of molehills. The Z97 Gaming 7 for a more comparative example, uses SFC chokes, Hi-C caps (very efficient), and 'dark caps' which IIRC, have a 10 year lifespan. I am not sure what is on lesser boards of theirs. I've taken their MPower and XPower and the X99 Gaming 9 under LN2 and they all live to this day. Are they IR parts? Nope. They are not the 'best'. But they don't need to be either as you can see by my reviews ATM linked and my Hwbot links with modern MSI boards.

And to add to that... http://hwbot.org/submission/2672831_jas420221_wprime___1024m_core_i7_5820k_1min_34sec_190ms

ANd here is Z87 Xpower and 6.2Ghz on a 4770K: http://hwbot.org/submission/2404066_jas420221_cpu_frequency_core_i7_4770k_6200.95_mhz

That out of the way, it should be clear that your blanket statement that MSI boards suck and to stay away from them is only good for spreading FUD (on the intel side). While they may not have best parts on their worst motherboards (I dont know, I never reviewed them to know - nor do I regurgitate what I read without knowing what I am reading...), their midrange on up are certainly not a slouch...

As I have no first hand experience with MSI boards, I can only regurgitate information I have heard elsewhere. And I have heard that MSI boards are crummy.
You still have me on block EarthDog? It is divine to forgive, they say. ;). I think you took what I said via PM too personally and may have blocked me prior to my appology/explanation PM in which I explained that I wasn't blaming or attacking you at all but rather the system at large.

Hi-C caps, that's what I was trying to say, not Poscaps. I didn't mean P.O.S. caps btw, I meant poscap, which is some kind of term for any solid state cap apparently.
When I hear Hi-C I think of an orange drink from the early 90s.

(I dont know, I never reviewed them to know - nor do I regurgitate what I read without knowing what I am reading...)

Sadly, as I am not a reviewer, nor do I have any other medium of access to large amounts of hardware, most of the information I give is via regurgitation. I can give more detailed info on hardware I have experience with though.

ATM please quote this so E.D. can see it. If you don't mind. TY.

As I have no first hand experience with MSI boards, I can only regurgitate information I have heard elsewhere. And I have heard that MSI boards are crummy.
You still have me on block EarthDog? It is divine to forgive, they say. ;)

Hi-C caps, that's what I was trying to say, not Poscaps. I didn't mean P.O.S. caps btw, I meant poscap, which is some kind of term for any solid state cap apparently.
When I hear Hi-C I think of an orange drink from the early 90s.

Sadly, as I am not a reviewer, nor do I have any other medium of access to large amounts of hardware, most of the information I give is via regurgitation. I can give more detailed info on hardware I have experience with though.

Simply vomiting information that isn't well documented and tested is worse than making said information.
If you're making statements about parts being a POS show proof or don't make the statement.

Simply vomiting information that isn't well documented and tested is worse than making said information.
If you're making statements about parts being a POS show proof or don't make the statement.

I see people throwing around a lot of info without proof on this forum. Why am I always the guy that gets asked for proof?

I see people throwing around a lot of info without proof on this forum. Why am I always the guy that gets asked for proof?

First, you're not the only person that gets asked to show proof.
Second, you spew information that you're regurgitating a LOT. That's why you get asked for proof. A lot.

Find some solid information on these chokes and/or capacitors being bad, then someone may care to listen.

MSI makes some strong boards , they also make some very weak boards just like any other manufacturer.

it's all a matter of how much you are willing to spend

I use an MSI board in my gamer, 4.7 Ghz 24/7 for the last three years.

The two boards i recommended would be fine, as well as the MSI.

Out of the 3 I personally like the Asus Pro board , not the low line Asus you depicted above,

However, as stated in another one of these threads, the z97 OCF is IMO impossible to ignore even for ambient builds with the $ 40 MIR

I mean come on, @ $180.00 for a flagship product......... how can you really take any of mainstream boards seriously.

I

Back