• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surprise Windows 10 activation experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

So I have this homemade test bed which allows me to put together a PC out of the case very quickly. I have had Windows 10 Home on the test bed system disk every since Win 10 came out but had never activated it. Mostly because I was constantly swapping motherboards and it wouldn't stay activated anyway. The OS was showing signs of brokenness from so many chip set changes over time so I decided to do a clean install of Windows. But I decided I would purchase an OEM key and install the pro version this time. I purchased the activation key and went to install but when I went to the System to do that I found it was already activated. Now let me assure you, this was a new motherboard and it had not formerly been used for a build where Windows was activated.

Go figure?

Back