• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

swap cpus for less battery usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

hey guys, i have a Toshiba 1905-s303 (http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-1905-S303-Notebook-2-40-GHz/dp/B00006LS95)
i recently rebuilt the battery with slightly better cells, and it lasts a little more then 3 hours now, which is great, but.. i'd like a little more :)

the laptop comes with a 2.4ghz P4m processor, and is really power hungry, the battery that i rebuilt is a 12cell battery, give out about 6000mah @ 14v :eek:. it was great while i was gaming a lot, but now that i'm doing full time at college, i just use it to write up essays, web, and music. i was thinking if i could downgrade the cpu, would it decrease the power usage?

i know little about laptops, even less about their motherboards, this is why i ask. how would i know which cpu would be compatible w/ my board (ie celeron;Centrino or only p4m?)

any help is greatly appreciated

Before you swap cpus, try underclocking it. It should have the same effects as swapping processors, but the potential to go higher is still there.

underclock? i dont think thats possible.. everything seems fixed in the bios settings..
i was able to get a cpuid of my processor..
cpushotjv6.gif

If you go into the bios and disable speedstep... it should force the processor to run at minimum clockspeed all the time... Viollola INSTANT downgrade!

:(, it doesn't have an option for speedstep (toshiba sucks)
i can't even run those cpu speed throttle programs like NHC... i can't decrease the freq. multiplier, decrease the voltage or anything :(

denz_1 said:
Arnt you able to decrease the voltage on the CPU of Lappys?
ya should be. I know on IBM laptops theres an option to lower the multi when on battery (i.e. my laptop has [email protected] original, but on battery the multi shoots down to 6x, aka 600mhz@ I think just under 1v)

the toshiba original software doesn't give me that option.. but it does have modes like max preformance, mid, and silent for the fan which feel like they're throttling the cpu. but any software i try to lower the voltage, multiplier or cpu speed just seems to have all the options grayed out :(
can anyone recommend something i could use that i might have not tried yet?

okey, i took apart my laptop today and found the type of CPU i have..
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?ProcFam=826&sSpec=SL65R&OrdCode=

its basicly a P4 (non mobile), 2.4ghz. the socket had "mPGA479m" written on it. when i goggled it up, it looked like the celeron M and Pentium M use the same socket, but would it be compatible with the bios? How about a regular celeron, would that be compatible?
looking at the specs for this processor, it puts out 57w of heat :-/, i can imagine downgrading it would make a big difference, esspecial with a 21w celeron M :)
if anyone knows if it'll work or not, PLEASE let me know
thank you :)

Ummm I'm actually not sure about that... you might check out the "bringing the pentium-m to the desktop" thread in the intel cpu forum. Since you pretty much have a desktop p4 in there, you should check in there for info. I'd love to help out more But it's Deadweek at school, need I say more...

Oh and don't get the celerons confuzed...

(Mobile) Celeron D = P4 celeron
Celeron m = P-m celeron

Back