• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping Windows license keys?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I need to swap license keys from my main PC to my slave PC and from my slave PC to my main PC. Reason is that my main PC's keys were from a Win7 install and I'd like to go back to Win7, but on the slave PC, not the main one.

Has anyone done this before? I've googled this so I have a faint idea that this might work but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it, some advice or warnings....

Thanks!

I need to swap license keys from my main PC to my slave PC and from my slave PC to my main PC. Reason is that my main PC's keys were from a Win7 install and I'd like to go back to Win7, but on the slave PC, not the main one.

Has anyone done this before? I've googled this so I have a faint idea that this might work but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it, some advice or warnings....

Thanks!
You will get the same answers here that you got on the other 3 forums you asked.

I'll tell you again. Can it be done?, yes. Is it legal?, no.

You will get the same answers here that you got on the other 3 forums you asked.

I'll tell you again. Can it be done?, yes. Is it legal?, no.

why is swapping license keys illegal? If its OEM to a certain computer, I could some gray area, but as long as one key goes to one computer at a time, you are licensing the software alone, shouldn't matter which computer has what on it. (Im obviously talking about one key, one computer. Those that "share" keys are an entirely different gamut)

I can explain how to do it pretty easily, but I'll wait an answer. I do this ALL the time at home (no particular reasons, just bounce from htpc to laptop or whatever else going on). Never had any issues with it, nor have I considered any problems.

why is swapping license keys illegal? If its OEM to a certain computer, I could some gray area, but as long as one key goes to one computer at a time, you are licensing the software alone, shouldn't matter which computer has what on it. (Im obviously talking about one key, one computer. Those that "share" keys are an entirely different gamut)

I can explain how to do it pretty easily, but I'll wait an answer. I do this ALL the time at home (no particular reasons, just bounce from htpc to laptop or whatever else going on). Never had any issues with it, nor have I considered any problems.

I think technically the OEM license grants use of the OS only for the computer it was initially installed on if I remember correctly. But personally, I have no compunction to use it on another machine as long as it comes off the first one, i.e., one machine at a time. It might require a phone call to 1-800 microsoft activation center but it should be doable without a problem. They automated attended used to ask, "Can you tell me how many computers has this product been installed on?" or something like that. Don't know if they still do that with Windows 10.

I have swapped license keys between different computers. Just have to give microsoft a call and they will help you with activation. As long as it is only running on one computer they have no problem with activating OEM copies from one computer to the next.

An OEM licensing can't be moved to a different machine It lives and dies with the machine it came installed on. Moving it to a different machine will breach the oem licensing terms. If it's an FPP retail purchase then you can do this.

ISO downs for all windows versions
https://gist.github.com/mkuba50/27c909501cbc2a4f169be4b4075a66ff (TechBench Dump of direct MS links)

KEY: (partial?)
S: Starter Edition
HB: Home Basic Edition
HP: Home Premium Edition
P: Professional Edition
U: Ultimate Edition
N: without Media Player
K: optional 3rd party media and messaging software
OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer
GG: Get Genuine Kit
32: 32 bit Edition
64: 64 bit Edition

I'm working on a Dell E6320 right now using an oem slp win7 ult version from above and the original key. I may have to call them to finalize activation, I hope not. All I know is win10 will not work on it (if the laptop was TS, I'd try it, it's not mine) which is where never10 or GWX control panel comes in before windows update gets its chance.

An iso from elsewhere of win 7 ult changed the partitioning from 100MB reserve to a 500MB one. The oem from github link changed it back to a 100. It's a laptop so it should work. My friends fujitsu never complained once about activation using the original key and a win7 pro iso right off the net. Apparently the thing about Ult. Ed. is the ability to download multiple languages through windows update and then be able to switch to them. The E6320 was in spanish but the Ingles would not download. Go figure. MS wanted to shove win10 on it lol.

Last edited:
Back