• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sweet games are gonna cost more

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, and they wonder why people pirate software, music and movies... Hey but here's an idea!! Let's make them more expensive!!! That will make people buy them!! f'in iddiots :rolleyes:

Oh come on! You know that they use piracy as an excuse for just about anything. They want to raise prices period but, somone said "Hey! lets blame the price increase on rampant piracy so we don't look like greedy bastards!".
I love movies too! The say don't pirate our movies as we barely get by. Yet where do they go to make it? They goto south america or whatever for the slave labor so they don't have to pay anyone in the USA. So the film industry can stick it! Or maybe don't pay these lame actors 25 million per movie. I hate piracy but there is always two sides of the fence.

Oh yea and don't go pointing the finger at us. Go to China and see what you can do to piracy there.

Sorry that just pisses me off though lol :)

Damn big corporations. Stupid lousy general public goes and makes gaming trendy... Dammit... now they're gonna start shipping games w/ perfume samples and putting ads on load screens.

Gaming is no longer a fun thing thing to do.
It is some peoples main hobby and some people even make a career out of it!

YellowDart said:
Damn big corporations. Stupid lousy general public goes and makes gaming trendy... Dammit... now they're gonna start shipping games w/ perfume samples and putting ads on load screens.

hmmm theres already ads on load screens..*plays MOA:pA demo* *Runs best on a Pentium 4* :mad:

I read somewhere that people who pirate games never had intentions to buy it in the first place.

If that's true then why do companies say their losing so much when they didn't gain a single thing? Maybe they shoudl start looking at the quality of the products they're making before they start pointing fingers at everyone.

I eman hey Counterstrike pretty much is free if you own Half-life. Most hardcore counter strike players never even beat half-life, and just picke dit up for counter strike, because to them and many others, it's a GOOD GAME, and that's what made Valve big.

if they were smart they'd not make the same mistakes as the recording industry... pushing large amounts of crap onto the market and wanting to charge premium prices all the while blaming piracy. i think the world in general, as far as economics are concerned, is approaching a pivotal point.

here's some info from gamedeveloper october edition...

top 5 publishers:

1. EA with 2,957,000,000 revenue
2. Microsoft Game Studios with 635,264,000
3. Sony with 1,781,000,000
4. THQ with 641,000,000
5. Ubisoft with 624,925,280

i know these are publishers, but keep in mind most of the studios are owned by publishers.

there is a list of twenty, and they are not categorized by their revenue (there are some lower on the totem pole with higher networth), but this is just to give a rough idea how much money this industry is pulling in. it has also been reported that this past year the gaming industry has grossed more than hollywood. and, as we all know (and i know personally), the more money you get the more you want. their push for higher prices has nothing to do with piracy.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone here has ever pay 50 bucks for a game and didn't like it? I know i have that is why we wait for demo's to come out. But i can see why people would pirate a game. But it doesn't make it legal though.

Also i don't understand how charging more is going to make people pay for it.

Slimmy said:
Just wondering if anyone here has ever pay 50 bucks for a game and didn't like it? I know i have that is why we wait for demo's to come out. But i can see why people would pirate a game. But it doesn't make it legal though.

Also i don't understand how charging more is going to make people pay for it.

i will never pay $50 for a game, especially without a taste... except for maybe wow :D .

DUMB!!!! I beleive Gallup poll and a few other reliable sources mentioned the fact that America has the LOWEST amount of piracy world wide. I mean WORLD WIDE. China and Russia are the top two. Yet, they increase OUR prices. Yah, that makes me want to buy their crap.

I wonder at the downright idiocy of these people. Look, America is the hardest working country in the world. We put in an average of over 60 hours per week while the next hardest working nation is Japan with around 45 hours per work week. Every other country is under 40 for the average work week. Top that off with our cost of living, many people are the definition of working poor. Bleh, I could do on, and many real economcists are pointing to a major disaster coming along because of big business greediness. This crap only adds another straw to the camel's back and something is bound to break soon. When mixed in with higher marketing pressure to get KIDS to have their parents buy them $400 ipods and other "toys" and parents GIVING IN. Ugh....

Guess I will buy even less games in the future. Hi-ho the Caribean pirates.

DocGiggs said:
because of big business greediness.

we're getting hit hard in california on gas, esp now that oil is at or over $50/barrel... heard yesterday we should start expecting higher energy prices across the board... then i see this thread :rolleyes:

Drec said:
hmmm theres already ads on load screens..*plays MOA:pA demo* *Runs best on a Pentium 4* :mad:

You forget the huge "NVIDIA: THE WAY IT'S MENT TO BE PLAYED" logo plastered on almost every games loading screens. Shouldn't the FTC and BBB be talking to Nivid about false advertisement? :p

Vipasnipa said:
You forget the huge "NVIDIA: THE WAY IT'S MENT TO BE PLAYED" logo plastered on almost every games loading screens. Shouldn't the FTC and BBB be talking to Nivid about false advertisement? :p

HAHAH, ive thought that for ages. :beer:

As for game prices, doubt it. I get mine well cheap online.

... and then one day, you'll install a game, fire it up to play, and have to sit through 10 minutes of car commercials and advertisements for adult diapers before you can actually get to the game intro. ;)

Drec said:

A demo I can understand. Although I know UT2003 started up with an NVidia logo...

yeah most games now do have, logo's from the companies that contribute to the game, not just advertising. I mean hell they helped to make the game, they should get credit. As far as cost of games, i play alot, and buy the ones i REALLY like and feel i want to support the company for. I really dload the games to test them, if i like it i buy it, i would rather test the full version than a demo, not all demo's have enough to intice me. I mean play the full version from a friends copy, before getting my own.,

This is getting sickening. Every time a company wants to jack up their prices they blame it on piracy. What's funny to me is, the article specifically said that "For the past 20 years, the gaming world has had one universal truth: AAA games cost roughly $50." Now they're saying that because of piracy, they're jacking up the prices. So does that mean piracy hasn't been a problem over the past 20 years and it's just developed? Odd how you see quarterly profits going up and still exec's justify price hikes with piracy issues. Lame.

Back