• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech h240x help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adambean

Registered
Hey all,

After much debate, I think I've finally decided to go with this cooler. A few questions though ...

1) Is it safe/ok to mix and match fans? It comes with the two stock 140mm's; however wanted to add a third to the bottom.
2) Do you recommend changing the stock fans?
3) Is it recommended to do a push/pull (even though it's only with a 3rd)?
4) Does this truly perform better than say a NZXT Kraken or Corsair that would leverage 4 fans?
5) Am I really going to need to refill the water after 3 years?
6) Do I need to leverage the pmw hub they provide or can I use the one in my case (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)?

Thanks

1) Not really suggested to mix fans, but if you do, they should push the same amount of air (CFM) as the originals
2) You can change them if you want/like to ( check # 3 is you decide to)
3)Push/pull will only get you maybe 1-3c difference unless you swap fans to stronger ones which will mean more noise
4)All AIO setups are pretty much the same, again with a 1-3c difference
5)Yes, it is suggested to fill or flush/refill the system with fresh distilled water and biocide
6) You can use either PWM hub ( mobo or included one)

Thanks Nebulous for the prompt response!

For the fan mixing, what's the downside there? I ask because I wanted to throw one of those Thermaltake Riing's on the bottom side, largely for appearance. I could replace the tops with them, but visually it does nothing, and also introduces a new layer of complexity having to use the TT hub. Was planning on having the third (bottom) separate, sharing a Riing hub with my GPU cooler.

Hmm, if they're that similar, and I really don't plan on ever doing anything custom with this ... does it make sense to go with this over the NZXT or Corsair?

The Swiftech across the board appears to be the fan favorite, but seems to be largely for those that end up doing more custom work with it. I guess I just don't know If I want to have to come back and mess with this thing in 3 years or not. What's the downside to not performing maintenance?

Mixing fans is fine, but try to keep the CFM in the ballpark. If the speeds mismatch greatly, a fan can be overspun and burn out prematurely.

As far as changing the stock fans.. for most people, it really doesn't matter. If you are after every degree C (why?), or quiet, then perhaps it is worth it.

Push/pull, again, are you afer every degree C? If not (which there is little reason to be), I would not.

Performance... check reviews.

No clue. Never owned one for that long. If the instructions say so, then expect it.

Also, in regards to the fans ... as briefly stated earlier, I was thinking of running the fans separately. The two fans for the cooler will be tied into either their hub, or my case hub and plugged into CPU; whereas the Thermaltake Riing on my GPU rad + the Riing on the bottom of this Swifttech would be on their own hub and then into one of the Chasis fans.

Is this a bad idea?

Helix fans are great budget rad fans. I use 9 120mm for my rads and work great.

So you want the bling and no maintenance? Here's the perfect solution for you. Enjoy. :p If you're looking for very high OC's, might as well and grab this one. Extra bling as well.

Helix fans are great budget rad fans. I use 9 120mm for my rads and work great.

So you want the bling and no maintenance? Here's the perfect solution for you. Enjoy. :p If you're looking for very high OC's, might as well and grab this one. Extra bling as well.

Yeah, I bought that the day they went on Amazon (Dec 12th) and there's still no ship date ... :-(

Also, to add to the original list of questions.

7) Why are the fans defaulted as intakes on this device? I'm not sure I understand the logic of wanting to push warm air into the case? My setup has one exhaust (120mm) along the back from the GPU rad with a 1x 200mm intake on the front. The top of my case (where I'll mount the CPU rad), was going to be an exhaust. I realize I can easily swap the orientation of the fans; however is having your CPU rad as an intake typically the standard and/or recommended? I'd assume cool air over the rad is probably the most efficient?

Being that I can support a 240, 280, 360 or 420 with a push/pull with my case (Luxe) ... is the Swiftech 240x truly my best bet? Again, I don't plan on going crazy here, but doesn't it seem limiting it go with the Swiftech being that I can only use up to 3x 140mm's. Or does it really not matter? I'd assume 2x 120 or 140 will more than likely be sufficient regardless?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, to add to the original list of questions.

7) Why are the fans defaulted as intakes on this device? I'm not sure I understand the logic of wanting to push warm air into the case? My setup has one exhaust (120mm) along the back from the GPU rad with a 1x 200mm intake on the front. The top of my case (where I'll mount the CPU rad), was going to be an exhaust. I realize I can easily swap the orientation of the fans; however is having your CPU rad as an intake typically the standard and/or recommended? I'd assume cool air over the rad is probably the most efficient?

The design has been thoroughly tested, and it works well. Given the design of the unit, there is no way have the fans exhaust without causing a rise in temperatures. As longs as you have decent airflow in your case, this shouldn't be an issue.

Adam,

You want proper case airFLOW. This is typically done with an Front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust setup on the fans. Sure, slightly warmer air is entering the radiator, but again, you do not have a need to chase after every degree C. AirFLOW is important.

I also merged your triple posts. Please use hte edit button to add to a post (assuming nobody has responded to your last one). :)

Adam,

You want proper case airFLOW. This is typically done with an Front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust setup on the fans. Sure, slightly warmer air is entering the radiator, but again, you do not have a need to chase after every degree C. AirFLOW is important.

I also merged your triple posts. Please use hte edit button to add to a post (assuming nobody has responded to your last one). :)

So I'm not sure what you're voting for here. Should the fans be an intake, exhaust or does it really not matter? I'm assuming it doesn't matter as the more I read, it seems the most use them for exhaust. Looks to be case/setup specific.

I only have 1x intake via the front 200mm fan. I then have an exhaust on the back GPU rad with a 120mm. Then that leaves the top ... which is the debate right now. Should it be intake or exhaust? My gut says exhaust, but the Swiftech default design is to intake; whereas some of these other coolers, it's an exhaust. Odd?

Also, as luck would have it ... those Thermaltake Riing coolers are now shipping January 2nd and will be here on the 6th. So now the real question ... which to use. Damnit. I can use the TT 360mm and have 3x 120mm fans, and expand to 6x 120mm fans for a probably overkill push/pull. Granted, again, I'm not chasing every degree, but this does boast more options no?

Thanks

Last edited:
So I guess at this point, I'm just curious to hear what others think in regards to fan count. Does it really matter? Is more truly better, or are we only talking about being able to slightly OC more?

2x 140 (Swiftech 240)
3x 140 (Swiftech 240)
2x 120 (Swiftech 240 or TT Water 3.0)
3x 120 (Swiftech 240 or TT Water 3.0)
4x 120 (TT Water 3.0)
6x 120 (TT Water 3.0)

Last edited:
I would get a 240 or 280 kit and use either push or pull. Use the orientation the manufacturer recommends, even if it goes against case airflow "logic". More fans (push-pull) might mean slightly cooler temps, but that doesn't necessarily translate into higher overclocks.

Also, positive air pressure (more intake fans than exhaust) is generally better than negative air pressure (more exhaust fans than intake), because it means air leaks out of the case at the seams and random vent holes (no case is perfectly sealed) and results in less dust build-up. Assuming your intakes have dust filters, of course...

Thanks for the advice MNM. On that note then, would you think dual 140's or a single 200 for my intake is the better route? Further, I can add an additional intake on the bottom (120 or 140). The only odd thing here is that the bottom fan would be blowing up, directly behind the main intakes ... not sure if that would negate the effect of the main intake or not.

Back