• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switch to AM3 motherboard problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llsektorll

So I decided to switch to a phenom ii x4 955 cpu and in the process get a AM3 motherboard and 2x2GB 1600Mhz DDR3 memory too, but problems arose. To my knowledge I connected everything correctly, but my comp won't boot. The three case fans spin at normal speed, the CPU fan (a coolmaster) spins at really slow speed and my PSU fan does not spin at all.

This was a relatively new PSU that I just purchased 3 or 4 months ago. My old PSU last me over 2 years. So here is my old specs.

My old setup:

AMD Athon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
3x1 GB 667MHz
1x 160GB, 1x 250GB, 1x 450GB HDDs
550w coolmaster atx 12v
Asus M2N-E motherboard

New setup that doesn't work:
AMD Phenom ii x4 955 3.2GHz
2x2 GB 1600MHz
1x 160GB, 1x 250GB, 1x 450GB HDDs
550w coolmaster atx 12v
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard

From using online PSU calculator it says I only need 348W PSU to run my system. I have 550W, but my PSU fan does not spin. Can my PSU fan not spin because of a wiring failure or can it only be a dead PSU?

EDIT: after much tinkering I found out that if i change my cpu fan to any other fan slot then the cpu fan spins fast albeit it makes a loud humming noise.

Last edited:
Well I bought a 700w OCZ PSU. Everything seems to spin fine now. Harddrives spin and CPU fan and PSU fan and GPU fans spin as they should.

If I resolve the problem myself I'll be sure to post its solution here for reference if anyone has the same issues as me. Also if anyone has some advice for me at this stage it would be much appreciated.

Back