• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System failure, possibly CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmannamedOogie

I've been messing about with a friends computer for about a week now.

Preface: Friend spilled beer on his desktop computer. I have no idea how, but his computer shorted out.

We tested all the components we could. PSU passed, hard drive, RAM works, cd drive, all fans were also still working. The only thing was that the computer wouldn't turn on. So, we couldn't really test the CPU or motherboard separately.

Anyway, we ordered a new motherboard. Still nothing. Also, we've hooked everything up correctly, done this hundreds of times. The same CPU was still used. The system turns on for 1-2 seconds then turns off. (This included the fans and lights) We then did the PSU test and all the fans and lights worked.

So, it's safe to assume that the motherboard and/or cpu is at fault. Is there anyway to check these individually? We don't have spare parts for this project (no extra Quad Core or motherboard sitting around.)

Thanks to those who read/reply to the post. Thanks everyone!

well you have a new mobo so the only thing left to try now is a new cpu.. unless for some reason the mobo you have doesnt support the cpu.. the other thing is that depending on the mobo it may not like the power supply. i had this issue with my Gene board, seems a bios updated fixes the problem. something to do with overvoltage/overcurrent protection being tripped in the psu by the mobo.

btw is the pc speaker hooked up to the mobo and do you get any beeps from it at all?

Back