• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED System not detecting my speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DungeonOgre

Registered
Update: I can get sound through headphones and the headphone jack, but no luck with the speakers.

Hi All,

I recently built my PC, only to find today that my speakers do not work. When I plug the green cord into the green audio jack in the back of the PC, the computer does not recognize my device (edit: With the new drivers installed, it says "A device has been plugged into the audio jack).

My speakers are Eagle Arion Model ET-AR504LR-BK's

The rest of my specs:
PSU: LEPA 900W
CPU: Intel I5 2500K @ 3.3 Mhz (SB)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 580 Fermi 3GB
MB: ASRock P67 Extreme 4
Tower: AZZA Solano 1000

On my motherboard, I tried unplugging the HD audio cord and replacing it with the AC'97 cord. No luck (wouldn't think this would matter anyways considering I don't have a sound card). Edit: Plugged HD audio plug back into motherboard instead of the AC'97 one.

I also reinstalled the Audio drivers for my motherboard, which allowed me to hear sound through headphones (edit).

On the bottom of the screen, I have an icon with a speaker (with the red X) saying, "No Audio Output Device is Installed."

Has anybody ever had this problem before?

Last edited:
What does device manager show under sound/video/game? Anything?

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

All working normally, no odd symbols, right?

If you right click the speaker symbol does it give you the playback devices option, or if you right click the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon in the system tray does it give you an Audio Devices option?

From your edits it just looks like maybe you didn't have drivers installed, and maybe it's still not set as default output - stupid video cards with HDMI audio sometimes seize default status. Doubt that's happening if you headphones work, though.

Is there actually still a problem? I can't really tell from the edits...

Hi RatBuddy -

I'm getting sound now through my headphones. However, the speaker system still does not work. It now recognizes that something is plugged into the jack (thanks to the drivers I downloaded), but the speakers do not make any noise.

I'll play around with them again tomorrow to see if I can get any luck. I wanted to check here to to see if anybody had any ideas or had any similar problems that they were able to fix.

Downloading Bad Company 2 off of Steam at this very moment. ^__^

Hi RatBuddy -

I'm getting sound now through my headphones. However, the speaker system still does not work. It now recognizes that something is plugged into the jack (thanks to the drivers I downloaded), but the speakers do not make any noise.

I'll play around with them again tomorrow to see if I can get any luck. I wanted to check here to to see if anybody had any ideas or had any similar problems that they were able to fix.

Downloading Bad Company 2 off of Steam at this very moment. ^__^

Check this setting:

Hi RatBuddy,

Thanks for the further help. Unfortunately, I tried that particular audio setting with no luck. I also tested Dell speakers from my other computer, and those work perfectly fine.

I'm thinking that the speakers might be blown out, or something like that. Would the speakers turn on if this were the case? I get a display on the speakers, and a "WUMP!" sound when I turn them on, but them nothing :-(. I might RMA them for replacement ones (or, even better, a refund). Luckily, I got a New Egg warranty on them, even though I was considering not getting one.

Last edited:
Before you do that, definitely try hooking them up to another source if you have one available. If they don't work with that, it's RMA time :beer:

Unfortunately, been there, done that. They were still silent on my other computer.

I think I should be able to get a refund from New Egg. If not, I would be pretty disappointed, but oh well. I don't want replacement speakers because the ones I got appear to be extremely flimsy and easily damaged (both speakers are already physically damaged with little to no force - just from lightly placing them in the box).

I think I'll save myself from further headaches and get a different, smaller set of speakers. I'll set this to solved. Thanks for your help!

Back