• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED "System" Partition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

How do I remove this "System" Partition?

I have 3 Physical drives and I have no clue which one its drawing from... apparently its related to when you first install windows? Windows is installed... the partition is bugging me.

erm.png

The other drive that is labeled "Windows" is from my old computer that I removed, Local Disk is the actual OS in use.

Your "C:" drive is always the current running OS drive. In order to delete the E: or F: partition, head into Computer Management...Start> right click Computer> click Manage > select Disk Management and do what you will. Just don't delete your C: partition lol.

Since that "System" partition is visible, I believe it's from the old install. The system partition is not listed/visible on the current OS drive or assigned a drive letter.

Whenever you install Windows on a disk where there are pre-existing partitions or if you reduce the size of the partition so that there is empty space after the new Windows partition, it annoyingly attempts to force creation of that "system" partition. On my latest re-install, I had a 1TB disk. When I deleted the default whole-disk partition the installer wanted to use, and created a 500GB one instead, it added the stupid system partition. If I deleted both and created 500GB again, it would keep re-adding it. So, I deleted the 500GB, resized the System partition, formatted it (ignoring the warning message), and it let me re-label that partition and install to it. No stupid partition, no stupid blank 100MB before first partition, yes somewhat sane install :)

Whenever you install Windows on a disk where there are pre-existing partitions or if you reduce the size of the partition so that there is empty space after the new Windows partition, it annoyingly attempts to force creation of that "system" partition. On my latest re-install, I had a 1TB disk. When I deleted the default whole-disk partition the installer wanted to use, and created a 500GB one instead, it added the stupid system partition. If I deleted both and created 500GB again, it would keep re-adding it. So, I deleted the 500GB, resized the System partition, formatted it (ignoring the warning message), and it let me re-label that partition and install to it. No stupid partition, no stupid blank 100MB before first partition, yes somewhat sane install :)

Yeah, Windows is rather demanding when it comes to that System partition. I've always created the OS partition manually from the command line and when I install, I use the (I think it's called) "Advanced Options", select the partition I created then give it the go ahead. This method never creates that partition and leaves my created partition as is. If the user just says OK without going to "Advanced", it will always create it.

I did a three partition install on my laptop. First (outer edge) swap/paging file, second OS, third (inner partition) for data and it didn't create the system partition.
It did however, if I didn't go into advanced, claim the first partition as the System partition that was meant for the paging file.

You might want to read through this thread before attempting to delete the System partition...

Can I delete the system reserved partition?
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-d0f9333ecb48

Are you being patronizing deliberately? Obviously one would not delete the actual system partition. That's akin to deleting system32 -_-

Comon, give me some credit, even if I have never overclocked previous to 2 days ago =P

But yeah. It deleted fine and now everything is organized beautifully the way I want. Learn something new about computers every day here, I always thought drives were organized by which order their cables were plugged into the mobo sata ports, but nope, drive letter, figures and makes sense and now I feel dumb for thinking otherwise.

maaad.png

Thanks all.

Learn something new about computers every day here, I always thought drives were organized by which order their cables were plugged into the mobo sata ports, but nope, drive letter, figures and makes sense and now I feel dumb for thinking otherwise.

maaad.png

Thanks all.

Back in the days of IDE, the first drive identified "Master" was the one connected furthest out on that wide tape wire using cable select. Now we use SATA where this is no longer needed/used. I believe it's a good idea though, to use the first SATA port for your OS drive.

Back