• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Taking apart my keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kkpudge7

Out of sheer boredom I was going to try to take apart my Logitech keyboard and paint it with a design similar to my G5. I took all the screws out of the bottom and was able to pry all the corners loose, but it appears that there is something holding it together in the middle, shown in the picture. I didn't want to pry too hard because I cant afford another keyboard at the moment, and it didn't look like it was some kind of a cover hiding another screw as I tried to pop it out.

best I can tell its a Logitech Y-BH52. Its an oldie but a goodie. :)

P5132187.jpg

P5132188.jpg

Any suggestions?

Out of sheer boredom I was going to try to take apart my Logitech keyboard and paint it with a design similar to my G5. I took all the screws out of the bottom and was able to pry all the corners loose, but it appears that there is something holding it together in the middle, shown in the picture. I didn't want to pry too hard because I cant afford another keyboard at the moment, and it didn't look like it was some kind of a cover hiding another screw as I tried to pop it out.

best I can tell its a Logitech Y-BH52. Its an oldie but a goodie. :)

Any suggestions?
try taking the keys out and seeing if there is anything under them?

I tried popping the keys off where it is being held up, but there is nothing there. I would really like to figure this out lol.

I tried popping the keys off where it is being held up, but there is nothing there. I would really like to figure this out lol.

this may sound a little strange but i wanna know aswell, there has to be a way of doing it and that thing whatever it is must serve a purpose but what is the question(other than ticking you off lol)

this may sound a little strange but i wanna know aswell, there has to be a way of doing it and that thing whatever it is must serve a purpose but what is the question(other than ticking you off lol)
i reckon it's so ppl can't open the keyboard.
if they don't have a "void warranty if removed" on one of the screws, thta's probably because there's that thing not allowing you to...
but on my G15, there's no "void your warranty" sticker or anything :shrug:

There is no such warning anywhere on the keyboard... I'm very puzzled by this lol. It might be that they didn't want anyone opening the unit up, but they should realize that there are experts like us out there who aren't happy with anything "stock" :D

I'm gonna try taking it apart again this afternoon, see if maybe it just pops off.

It's probably just a snap post that holds the unit's guts together down the assembly line, so any monkey can put in the screws without having to juggle the conductive film sheets inside.

My motto: if it don't budge force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
^Take that with a grain of salt, I didn't pay for your keyboard, nor will I pay for it's replacement. ;)

I realize this is a five year necro but this is the thread that came up when i googled "taking apart Y-BH52 keyboard".

I had the same issue, thought I had taken out all the screws and there seemed to be something still holding it together when I tried to pry it apart. The issue wasn't the small black plastic piece that you drew a red arrow to in the second picture. There's another screw hidden under the sticker on the right in the second picture. If you look closely you'll notice four scored lines inside the outline of a circle. That's where the last screw is hiding.

Hopefully this helps somebody who stumbles upon this thread.

A YouTube video for a different model Logitech shows nearly the whole top being covered by a sticker hiding several screws underneath. Those stickers are usually made of polyethylene, which doesn't stick well to paint. Also it's not difficult to tear it during removal, and there's a good chance it won't stick well when put back.

Can't afford another keyboard but can afford paint and the risk ruining your swell Logitech? I assume you have a ready supply of cheap spare keyboards.

Back