• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TCC5 won't load @ CAS 2.5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Ok, so I've got some (new to me) TCC5 here, OCZ Plat R2 v1.1, and I'm having a heck of a time clocking it anywhere. Stock 200 @ 2-2-2 seems fine. But then I move to 2-3-3-6 and can achieve ~240MHz. Then when I try pushing further by dropping to 2.5-3-3-7 I can boot but WinBlows won't load. Voltages ~2.7-2.9 don't seem to help, nor does upping the LDT or Chipset... and ATM I'm underclocking my cpu @ stock volts- 7x or 8x multi.

I already own a couple DFI NF4 boards... so I just don't believe my lack of experience with this mobo is causing my difficulty.

DFI SLI-DR 623-3 (was 11-14-05... 623-3 hasn't helped)
FSP AX500-A (Molex & Floppy plugged to mobo)
OPT165 w/TR Ultra-120

- Any suggestions?

- Swap slots on the sticks?

- Move to the Yellow slots (using Orange ATM)?

- Play with the Tref some more?

- 0406 Bios?

This is a brand new SLI-DR... and this really kinda sucks b/c this new 165 0610 is doing 322x9 v1.45v :D ...but these dimms just won't go anywhere. :cry:

I would first try using the other set of DIMMs.

If it doesn't help, try one stick at a time and see if it's only one stick with the problem. If it's both, then...

Try as many diff bioses as you can.

Try using auto on the rest of the timings in bios.

Lastly, try 2.5-4-3-7 or 2.5-4-4-8, and see if it works better with that.

It's really trial and error when it comes down to timings, man... I've spent hours upon hours upon hours tweaking ram... it's by far the HARDEST piece of hardware to tweak in my opinion.

Thanks godman! I just need a little encouragement. :) And I agree... RAM, especially on A64 & DFI, is very tricky to get a high OC. Nominal OCs are pretty easy.

I've tried going to 2.5-4-4-8. No luck... just won't load Windows. I have several (5-6) sets of TCCx ram. So I'm not a total noob @ clocking these ICs... this set just seems a little weird.

I'm gonna pull my GSkill LEs tonight from another rig and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

harlam357 said:
Thanks godman! I just need a little encouragement. :) And I agree... RAM, especially on A64 & DFI, is very tricky to get a high OC. Nominal OCs are pretty easy.

I've tried going to 2.5-4-4-8. No luck... just won't load Windows. I have several (5-6) sets of TCCx ram. So I'm not a total noob @ clocking these ICs... this set just seems a little weird.

I'm gonna pull my GSkill LEs tonight from another rig and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
oh yeah good call... try out other stix and see the difference.

also, check to see if your model stix are rated 2.5-3-3-7 at ddr466 and above cuz it just may be. if that's the case, and if your gskills end up working fine at 2.5-3-3, then you should RMA your stix.

g0dM@n said:
oh yeah good call... try out other stix and see the difference.

also, check to see if your model stix are rated 2.5-3-3-7 at ddr466 and above cuz it just may be. if that's the case, and if your gskills end up working fine at 2.5-3-3, then you should RMA your stix.

I'm inclined to agree... too bad if that's the case, I just bought these sticks from a forum member who claimed to have taken them to 280MHz.

No, these are rated 2-2-2-5 @ PC3200... no higher rating to my knowledge. But they are TCC5 (Plat R2 v1.1), so they should go well into the 250-280 range pretty easily if, again, there is nothing awry with them. :bang head

If I remember back when I had two sets of that same memory I think I was using voltage a little lower like 1.6 . What I do remember though is that I used a CAS of 3 for really high overclocks.

Well... my guess is something is awry with the TCC5 ...or maybe I just need more volts. My other set of TCC5 (Mushkin) likes 2.9v+, I was running the OCZs @ ~2.8v (no active cooling).

I can get into Winders @ 2.5-3-3 @ 255 w/a set of PDP PC4800 (no active cooling). Yeah, I know... they're rated for 600MHz. But the OCZ TCC5 should run CAS 2.5 @ this speed as well- at least boot into Windows. :rolleyes:

I'll try to putting some active cooling on 'em and try it again, then I won't mind taking up the volts.

I have another set of OCZ Plats R2s. But they we're bought new and we're close to the last run of TCCD OCZ did I believe. They moved back to TCCD in lieu of TCC5 and I think they we're using early ICs b/c they liked low volts... where the later TCCD liked a little higher volts as does the TCC5.

You may have a corrupted SPD on the stick(s). Download SPD Tool and then go here to download a new SPD for your stick (or save it from one of your other sticks). Once you've flashed the sticks try them again at cas 2.5.

Ahh, I was trying to remember your forum handle and was gonna PM you about this... glad you got to me first. :)

Ok, I'll try flashing the SPD. Again, these sticks were bought here on OCF so I'm at least the second hand owner. Any chance of RMA if indeed these sticks continue to be flakey after the SPD flash?

Thanks Steve!
-H

Back