• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC Experts - Need Your Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingsack

Registered
I just picked up a Swiftech MCW462-UHT,a MCW50-T and a Mean Well 12V 25A PSU. I have a 12"x12" sheet of viton to insulate the backside of the MB and my 9700. I will fill the holes in the CPU socket with dielectric grease and spray the front and backsides of the MB and 9700 with Konform SR. I have the closed cell foam parts for both blocks. I will run the CPU Block (226W TEC0 from the Mean Well and the VPU Block (80W TEC) from my PSU. Some questions:

1) Could I run both TECS from the Meanwell PSU? It's rated at 25A and the Swiftech Info for the CPU Block shows 24A max draw. The GPU Block is supposed to draw 7.5A max. I think I am OK with the above plan, I have a good PSU, but with both a 9700 Pro, this TEC and my OC I do wonder. If I could run both of them from the Mean Well I would probably do do. My calculations show that the 226W CPU TEC should draw about 17.5A @ 11V and the 80W GPU TEC should draw abour 5.5A @ 11V. I also show that I would get optimal results @ 11V (best combination of hot side temp - Hot/cold side temp difference). In a related note, if anyone knows the maximum 12V current draw of a Radeon 9700 Pro I would find that information to be most useful.

2) Should I get another relay kit for the Mean Well like the Swiftech one I use for my Eheim Pump? How long does it take for the TECs to reach min temp? Do I need to turn them on first like with A Promethia or do the cool almost instantly> I will be going for the maximum OC I can.

3) Rite now I have an Eheim 1250 fed from an attached Innovatec Tank-O-Matic-Large resevoir feeding a MCW5000A cooled by the Swiftech 80mm rad with dual fans and an external BIX Pro with 2x120mm Panaflo L1As. Is this enough? Also I have an extra Eheim 1250 and an unused bayres. Should I use these to provide a completely seperate loop for the GPU? Ie.. 1250 + res + BIX for the CPU and 1250 + res + 80mm rad for the GPU? and which res woulod be better for which loop? I am a little uncertain about installing the bayres anyway as there have been some reports of leaking which has caused me to leave mine idle.
Frankly I'd just as soon sell the extra pump/res and the huge Zalman HS that came with my 9700 if I could.

Any other pointers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kingsack said:
I just picked up a Swiftech MCW462-UHT,a MCW50-T and a Mean Well 12V 25A PSU. I have a 12"x12" sheet of viton to insulate the backside of the MB and my 9700. I will fill the holes in the CPU socket with dielectric grease and spray the front and backsides of the MB and 9700 with Konform SR. I have the closed cell foam parts for both blocks. I will run the CPU Block (226W TEC0 from the Mean Well and the VPU Block (80W TEC) from my PSU. Some questions:

1) Could I run both TECS from the Meanwell PSU? It's rated at 25A and the Swiftech Info for the CPU Block shows 24A max draw. The GPU Block is supposed to draw 7.5A max. I think I am OK with the above plan, I have a good PSU, but with both a 9700 Pro, this TEC and my OC I do wonder. If I could run both of them from the Mean Well I would probably do do. My calculations show that the 226W CPU TEC should draw about 17.5A @ 11V and the 80W GPU TEC should draw abour 5.5A @ 11V. I also show that I would get optimal results @ 11V (best combination of hot side temp - Hot/cold side temp difference). In a related note, if anyone knows the maximum 12V current draw of a Radeon 9700 Pro I would find that information to be most useful.

2) Should I get another relay kit for the Mean Well like the Swiftech one I use for my Eheim Pump? How long does it take for the TECs to reach min temp? Do I need to turn them on first like with A Promethia or do the cool almost instantly> I will be going for the maximum OC I can.

3) Rite now I have an Eheim 1250 fed from an attached Innovatec Tank-O-Matic-Large resevoir feeding a MCW5000A cooled by the Swiftech 80mm rad with dual fans and an external BIX Pro with 2x120mm Panaflo L1As. Is this enough? Also I have an extra Eheim 1250 and an unused bayres. Should I use these to provide a completely seperate loop for the GPU? Ie.. 1250 + res + BIX for the CPU and 1250 + res + 80mm rad for the GPU? and which res woulod be better for which loop? I am a little uncertain about installing the bayres anyway as there have been some reports of leaking which has caused me to leave mine idle.
Frankly I'd just as soon sell the extra pump/res and the huge Zalman HS that came with my 9700 if I could.

Welcome to the forums!

1) At 12 volts, the CPU TEC will draw about 20 amps and the GPU TEC will draw about 5 amps. I don't think you should draw the max amperage rating of your PSU - especially considering that if the TEC's power fails, you have a great insulator right on top of your dice. You can forget about connecting anything else to the meanwell besides the blocks if you were considering it - the blocks alone are really pushing it. ;)

2) Not sure, it depends how you want to do things - I would plan on leaving everything always running virtually 24/7. Not sure on the length of time they take to reach min temp but my guess would be not long - minutes - from what I have seen. That's guesswork though. :-/

3) A single loop should be fine, that's what I would go with - if I wasn't satisfied with temps after trying this then I might bother with a seperate loop and the questionable bay res. But I would go with a single loop for starters.

Insulation: Be sure to insulate well - you sound like you already know what your doing well. Fill the socket holes (where CPU pins go) and the middle of the socket with dielectric grease (a small square of neoprene would help fill this). Also apply dielectric grease to the back of the CPU die area.

kingsack said:

I think you will need a bigger/better/another rad to deal with that heat. Something like a heatercore would be good. Your water temps will probably be quite high with this much heat in your water.

Also, I wouldn't run both pelts off that one psu, I would run the gpu pelt off your system's psu, depending on what it is, or pick up a fortron 300watt to run the gpu pelt off of.

So far I have installed the MCW50-T on my 9700 Pro with excellent results, 380 MHz core totally stable (will go higher but no improvement to 3DMark scores? ie.. 394 with no artifacts..)

I haven't installed the CPU Block yet but my diode temp only increased from 32C to 36C with the added TEC and no change in my OC so all seems good. I think I may get a water chiller befor I TEC the CPU.

Back