• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp problem with AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and i touch the side of HS when system running and when i put my finger on it i fell if i put my finger for 10 second it can hurt my finger.

and i touch the side of HS when system running and when i put my finger on it i fell if i put my finger for 10 second it can hurt my finger.

That's not good. It means it's getting just about as hot as those temp readings indicate. Maybe not over 100c but even subtracting a 20c offset to compensate for inaccurate temp sensors that is still way too hot. Please examine the heatsink. Is it full of dust that might reduce it's efficiency?

Can you buy Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4 where you live?

no i try to have very good system. i know this things. i clean every thing Cpus HS , Mainboard , gpu Hs and etc

i replace the selicon with ;IDEAL HEATSINK COMPOUNDS IDI-280;

Can you buy Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX2 or MX4 where you live?

there are thermal paste or HS

i think thermal paste cant make my cpu temp lower than 90c so i think its better to see what can i do in another way. help me trents

The processor may run well with less voltage(Vcore). Enter BIOS and lower the core voltage by 1-2 steps. (~1.3V-ish). Do you have Cool'nQuiet enabled in BIOS, if not, enable it, and set OS power scheme to Minimal Power management. This is necessary as your ambient temp is high. It may not help for prime95, but will give somewhat easier temp conditions for average use.

EDIT: The user manual does not show any setting for vcore in BIOS.

To have the CPU fan to run at full speed :

set CPU Smart FAN Control = disabled.

EDIT2:

"• If you do not find the settings you want in the Main Menu or a submenu, press <Ctrl>+<F1>
to access more advanced options."

Last edited:
it doesnt work for me. How can i make my CPUs speed more than 4500 RPM ????

If you turn off smart fan control, or set it to "Always max" if you have this setting, it will make the fan spin at max RPM all the time.

Most everything else is well covered, good luck!

i'd say its likely the cpu temp sensor isn't working propperly... thats the only conclusion i have for this

the parts of this situation that bug me is
1) he's noticing a big difference in temp increase when the case side panel is opened.
2) the MB is reporting huge temps too. 91C on the mb? I don't care where that sensor is, it's a miracle he's not breaking something.

what i'd do is i'd update the bios as a first step. we need to make sure there isn't something glitchy going on.

if that doesn't work, then i'd replace the cpu cooler... and see what happens.

its also likely he needs a case that vents air better... i think that's a forgone conclusion from the first point.

hi,guys i replace the thermal paste with HC-131 and my temp in no high level of cpu working is about 47c but when i use prime95 its grow up to 96c and more.but not like past because the speed of temp grow is very slow than before. but in 4 min its was grow to 96c.i want to change the bios and mother board settings right now.do you think cpu was damaged in past and temp is just because of that ?????

Difficult to tell, might expect other side effects also of a damaged processor, like freezes/lockups, reboots, sudden shutdowns, failed OS boots. You do not have those, right?

If prime fails due to instability is another symptom also to consider.

It's interesting that the motherboard is also reading a high temperature... I'm really curious as to why the computer hasn't thermal shut down, or at least throttled at these temperatures... Temperatures near 100C is acceptable(ish) under full load in a hot ambient, but i also have a 1st gen i7 OCd a good bit, and it tends to stay around 70C under load unless i really push clock speed and voltage up. I would think an Athlon X2, especially at stock, shouldn't be going over 50 or 60C under load... AMD chips run pretty cool... Compared to my beast...

EDIT: Just noticed the hard drive temperature is pretty warm as well...

How you apply the thermal paste can make a significant difference in the outcome. I lot of people make the mistake of using their finger or some straight edge (razor blade, credit card) to spread the paste. To do so may introduce skin oil and/or air bubbles that insulate. Many people put way too much thermal paste on the CPU and reduce it's efficiency. Thermal paste is not 100% thermally conductive and the thicker the layer the more you reduce the efficiency of the heat transfer between CPU and cooler base.

Here is the most often recommended way of doing this.
1. Clean the two surfaces thoroughly using a cloth or paper product that does not leave behind a lot of lint or fuzzies to insulate. Kleenes tissues, paper towels and soft cloth are to be avoided for this reason. A paper coffee filter may be the best choice. After removing most of the excess paste from the previous application, finish the cleaning with the filter moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
2. Squeeze a small blob of thermal paste onto the center of the CPU face. The blob should be no larger than 3-4mm or a green pea.
3. Don't try to spread the paste with your finger or anything else.
4. Lower the cooler onto the CPU, being careful to center it the best you can without too much sliding it around.
5. Clamp the cooler down. The clamping pressure will spread the paste between the two flat surfaces like a drop of water spreads between two glass panes.

Back