• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature sensor on Apogee HD Block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cswann821

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am currently building my first WC system and was wondering, as far as a solution for monitoring my WC CPU temperature via fan controller. Do you think useing....Bitspower G 1/4" Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting ,

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...e_Black_BP-MBWP-CT.html?id=UByIRu2f&mv_pc=149

In one of the non-used ports in a..Swiftech apogee HD 4-port would work??

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...-BK.html?tl=g30c323s835&id=UByIRu2f&mv_pc=628

If the sensor doesn't fit, Then I was thinking of creating a "T" in the line right after the outflow from the CPU water block and sticking the sensor in that??

I have the wire Temp sensors that came with the Fan controller, but I'm scared that the sensor itself would melt, or melt what ever I could fine to keep it attached to the cpu, if placed on the CPU directly...or interfear with cooling as other posts have said.

Suggestions??

Thanks, Chris.

Temp sensors are really not needed...

The average change in the water temperature only changes 1-2C throughout the whole loop...

While what was said above is true, I dont think he asked to measure the loop at different points. I think he just wants to know the temperature of the water...which is also kind of pointless unless he wants to use that fan controller to spin up the fans with the temp of the water. :shrug:

I did not think about that as far as just knowing what the temps are. But it would be better to go off the actual hardware temps for fan speed as the temperature of the water is always (as log as the pump is pumping) going to be cooler than the processor.

Assuming he goes for a 10C Delta with ambient of 20C (using my apt temp as example) the water in theory will never climb above 30C while the processor itself can climb into the 60's.

At least thats how it goes in my head :D

EDIT: Now that i think about it if he had a PWM fan controller for his Radiator fans he could use the sensor to monitor the Water temp and if he wanted a little bit lower DT... But After i typed all that out I realized your just adding another step in just reaching over and turning the knob when you start a game...:blah:

EDIT2: Im talkitive!

I would see if you can find pics of the block taken apart and get measurements of the probe on the monitor and verify that the probe will fit in there with it screwed tight.

Last edited:
Well then, if it's pointless to measure change in water temp to adjust the fan speeds too. Does anyone know exactly were I should put a cpu temp sensor?

As far as how the Fan controller will be controlling the fans ...I have a MountainMod case U2-UFO with 7 x 120mm and 4x 80mm; I was thinking of controlling my front 4 fans (3 of which are on the radiator) together useing a 4 fan wiring harness from the fans to one 3 pin port on the controller to make speed changes to based of cpu temps, then I have 4x80mm fans on the case top which will be controlled together as well on the second controller 3pin; 2 fans that the HDD are mounted onto in the rear making the 3rd control; and then one more rear fan controlled by the 4th controller.

Suggestions on what to use to get the sensors to stick and stay? Placement?

This may need to be moved to Air cooling or a FanController thread moderator.

Last edited:
I use a temp sensor just because my room is very small. My rig heats it up very quickly even in the winter. So I used one of my extra rad ports as a temp probe so that once my water temp goes over 30*C I get an alert to open my door or turn my ceiling fan on etc.

Granted I have the swiftech pump res combo so it makes it a bit easier but still just a thought on how to use a temp sensor in a non pointless way :)

Heres what I used: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._-_Matte_Black_BP-MBWP-CT.html?tl=g30c229s579

As far as CPU temp monitor there are a few, Realtemp Coretemp and HWMonitor.

If you want something like that then you should get a PWM fan controller and plug it in to the CPUFAN header on the motherboard and it will regulate fan speed based on CPU usage. So if the CPU is at 100% usage the fans will be at 100% etc.

I looked at a apogee HD water block, and the copper underside has just enough edge that the sensor can be probably taped on to it. I wonder if homedepot will have heat resistant tape?.

issue solved.!

Thanks everyone.

Back