• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temporarily mounting a Dell 2405FPW in a Mini Van...suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3 hours? You wuss :p

I make 14 runs to arizona without even thinking about it. Just nab a book, listen to some music, or just sleep, all sugested before lol :D

eskimochaos said:
Personally I think the idea is very stupid. A 24inch monitor weighs a good 30 pounds, that in an accident and you could get seriously...not to mention that a 360 and a 24" Dell monitor are like 1200 dollars...not worth it.

it actually weighs about 20 lbs. Still I thought about that and decided that if I'm in an accident, I'll get hurt anyway, and the last thing I'd be worried about in such a situation is my equipment. Yeah, I know, all that crap stuffed in the van could easily make the situation much worse, but it could also do the exact opposite. Nobody ever knows what will happen in an accident, or what will be best to prevent injury. The monitor could save my life for all we know, but at the same time it could also take it.

You definitely have a point though. :-/

Echo_ said:
make sure test it out if your van can power all the stuff first

I don't think that would be a problem, we got a large alternator when we bought it for this very reason (ok, well not this very reason, but similar situations) The only problem that I think could come up is the wire that goes to the power outlets, I'm not sure what gauge wire it is, and pulling a few hundred watts could be a little too much for them. :shrug:

my station wagon has a 110 amp alternator, lol

also, are you driving..or what? passenger?

just get a vesa mount. LOL reading this made me think of cars with LCD panels connected to external cameras instead of front windshelds, probably display a HUD with the speed of the cars around u and crap like that

its not that hard to do. since its a heavy 24 inch CRt it sounds like, boxed enclosure is probably the best bet. just make sure you have ventilation and there you go.

BioTuned said:
have someone hold it while you watch =D

i just use my slaves and indentured servants for that...you can borrow one for the weekend, after that its easy: just tell them that you wont feed them for a month if they dont hold the monitor....and then if they dont hold it steady nothing a good whippin on the side of the road cant fix....

...just kidding....took 30 hours in the car to drive to california from here...good stuff...just me, ipod+itrip+car charger, my ford escape and the open road...yay for being 16!

MyPCAlexi said:
its not that hard to do. since its a heavy 24 inch CRt it sounds like, boxed enclosure is probably the best bet. just make sure you have ventilation and there you go.
Its a LCD

I have made that same trip from Roanoke to Winchester many many times (+1 hour for the distance between Blacksburg and Roanoke, and Winchester and FFX county), of course most of the time, I'm driving :(. My Ipod has been a lifesaver though, nothing wakes you up like a random song you haven't heard in ages (how many people can honestly say that Salt n' Peppa saved their lives? :p).

Albaholic said:
just get a vesa mount. LOL reading this made me think of cars with LCD panels connected to external cameras instead of front windshelds, probably display a HUD with the speed of the cars around u and crap like that

my friend and I actually thought of doing that seriously. If I ever get off my lazy *** and actually do something, that will be one of my projects. I have all sorts of project that I've never had enough motivation, or determination to get started! I'm all talk and no action! I'm just too depressed and lazy to do anything!...aww...I made myself cry :cry:

funnyperson1 said:
I have made that same trip from Roanoke to Winchester many many times (+1 hour for the distance between Blacksburg and Roanoke, and Winchester and FFX county), of course most of the time, I'm driving :(. My Ipod has been a lifesaver though, nothing wakes you up like a random song you haven't heard in ages (how many people can honestly say that Salt n' Peppa saved their lives? :p).

according to "experts" music can't keep you awake hah! That maybe true, but it can definitely help!

I actually drive to Blacksburg everyday because of my newest job (warranty work for dell and gateway PCs), and I can't tell you how many times I've almost fallen asleep! There is nothing like almost running off the side of the road to wake you up. Scares the crap out of me, and I'm good for another 5 minutes...then I have to almost run off the road again lol. I sometimes have to stop in Christiansburg for soda. Bah, anyway, I have to get to bed now, because I have to drive down to Blacksburg again tomorrow and I don't want to be falling asleep...again.

Back