• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps with water are same as air temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't catch what pump you are using, but the XT is extremely restrictive... Also, higher CFM fans scale amazingly well with radiators (I've made a build with a single 120x25mm rad that got better temps that builds with 4.120mm rads because I had 250CFM fans set up in push/pull)... And no offense, but seeing as this seems like ur first wc loop, u should probably ask for help on xtremesystems.com... They have a massive amount of wc experts that patrol their forums

Will do lol

i figured i got it wrong when it was all said and done

To start, there are PLENTY of experts here and they have replied in this thread too! you need to rebuild that loop if you ask me. PUmp before the res isnt a good idea. Its res before pump so that the pump can get what it needs to send it around. I know its a closed loop and all but...it couldnt hurt.

Proper TIM application is a HUGE factor. Also a Swifty 120.2 is about the minimum anyone would reccomend for an Intel with HT. Though once you get proper TIM app and fans that should easily let that chip hit 4Ghz and stay around 80C or less while stress testing with HT.

To start, there are PLENTY of experts here and they have replied in this thread too! you need to rebuild that loop if you ask me. PUmp before the res isnt a good idea. Its res before pump so that the pump can get what it needs to send it around. I know its a closed loop and all but...it couldnt hurt.

Proper TIM application is a HUGE factor. Also a Swifty 120.2 is about the minimum anyone would reccomend for an Intel with HT. Though once you get proper TIM app and fans that should easily let that chip hit 4Ghz and stay around 80C or less while stress testing with HT.

Yea when i went to Reapply the TIM i think i put too much this time and i was gonna get some Scythe Ultra Kaze's because i love 747's flying through my room.

So if im going to reroute it how will i go about draining it? Also can i use the same Coolant over? im sure i can but i am know to be wrong lol

You should just be using distilled and a biocide. The colored junk has a tendency to cause issues.

You should just be using distilled and a biocide. The colored junk has a tendency to cause issues.

+1 I had a colored coolant dye one of my blocks blue for like a month and a half :)

Yea when i went to Reapply the TIM i think i put too much this time and i was gonna get some Scythe Ultra Kaze's because i love 747's flying through my room.

So if im going to reroute it how will i go about draining it? Also can i use the same Coolant over? im sure i can but i am know to be wrong lol

Lol... It's not that bad... 250CFM 120mm fans run at anywhere from 65-75dB a piece, and I met a guy with 15 of them in one case... It ran around 80-85 dB with them on full blast (still not a 747, but defiantly a few biplanes :)... I felt like I should be wearing my ear protection for shooting :) )

@EarthDog

I didn't mean anything against over clockers forums or any of the people that patrol it by recommending xtreme systems... It's just that from my experience, different forums are better for different things... For example, over clockers forums has by far the most CPU and GPU experts that I have ever found on a forum patrolling it... Like wise, xtreme systems has by far the most water cooling experts patrolling it that I have found on any computer forums... Again, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way... I meant nothing against your knowledge or your credibility

Last edited:
I didnt take it that way at all. I was just mentioning we have some VERY knowledgeable people that post here too :). They appear to be doing a great job as it stands even! Other options are certainly warranted and Im glad you suggested that too. :)

@fall

Did u clean ur blocks rad pump and res before you put your loop together? And did u run the loop with a filter in it for a wile when you first set up your loop? Cause if you didn't, once you do your flow rate will improve and you temps will probably drop a few degrees

I'm new to water cooling, so I've just been reading this forum a lot. As I was reading this thread and saw the OP was going to switch to Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > Res and nobody said anything. Is this the best way to do it? I had thought that Res > Pump > CPU > Rad > Res would be best. I just figured it'd be best to get rid of the heat ASAP and not right before it goes into the CPU block.

I suppose it depends on whether more heat is lost through the tubes at high temp or low temp.

Once the loop gets to equilibrium, it doesn't really matter. It is best to find the shortest tubing path instead.

Inside the loop, the temperature between the exit point of the CPU block and exit point of the rad are not significant really so it wouldnt matter. Res first was just a rule I kept on hearing b/c it will supply the pump with enough fluid....?

I'm new to water cooling, so I've just been reading this forum a lot. As I was reading this thread and saw the OP was going to switch to Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > Res and nobody said anything. Is this the best way to do it? I had thought that Res > Pump > CPU > Rad > Res would be best. I just figured it'd be best to get rid of the heat ASAP and not right before it goes into the CPU block.

I suppose it depends on whether more heat is lost through the tubes at high temp or low temp.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485

(effectively) no heat lost through tubes, they're actually insulatory. The fluid behaves as a body, not as individual molecules. I can explain that thermo if you don't get it.

I liked the tone of your first post better mor7... :p

lol, I went and posted it in the other thread, came bac, thought the forum ate the one that's there now and was a bit frustrated (it really bugs me at the level of thermo knowledge that the average person has...gets to me every now and then)

Last edited:
Suction point at the pump with res right before it is going to have less negative pressure at that point in the loop, which means less stress on the pump.

Even though it is a closed loop, with all equal flow rates, can still have differentiating pressure in sections of the loop. A lot of negative pressure at your pump inlet can cause extra drag on the pump, shortening it's life.

As far as how to route it beyond that, as Earthdog pointed out, the difference is very minimal. Because a water loop will "normalize" after a certain point of sustained heat saturation. Giving you a equal temperature throughout the loop.

hope that helps.

Back